Is it the practice of law schools...

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Post Reply
CR2012

Bronze
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:27 am

Is it the practice of law schools...

Post by CR2012 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:14 am

Is it the practice of law schools to offer you fee waivers so that they can deny your application, thus creating the appearance of being a highly selective school?

I just got an email from a school offering me a fee waiver even though I am below both of their medians (I am retaking).

Thoughts?

CanadianWolf

Diamond
Posts: 10736
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Is it the practice of law schools...

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:22 am

Yes, since it makes their numbers look better & keeps the admission officers busy (and thereby avoiding layoffs and decreased university funding for admissions).

User avatar
rinkrat19

Diamond
Posts: 13922
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Is it the practice of law schools...

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:25 am

Yes. Selectivity is one of the numbers used in the rankings calculation.

nickb285

Silver
Posts: 1499
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: Is it the practice of law schools...

Post by nickb285 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:44 am

.
Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CanadianWolf

Diamond
Posts: 10736
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Is it the practice of law schools...

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:47 am

Maybe not in your situation--although your GPA is low--but fee waivers drive up application numbers & that games the rankings system. Otherwise, all fee waivers should be need based, in my opinion, with minimum numbers (LSAT & GPA) for any top law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


User avatar
goldenflash19

Silver
Posts: 530
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Is it the practice of law schools...

Post by goldenflash19 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:23 pm

nickb285 wrote:I got a fee waiver from Cornell with a 3.17/169. Not transparent rankings gaming at all.
I disagree- your LSAT is above median.

User avatar
rinkrat19

Diamond
Posts: 13922
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Is it the practice of law schools...

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:38 pm

nickb285 wrote:I got a fee waiver from Cornell with a 3.17/169. Not transparent rankings gaming at all.
No one said it was the ONLY reason a school would send out waivers. Just one genuine reason.

nickb285

Silver
Posts: 1499
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: Is it the practice of law schools...

Post by nickb285 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:35 pm

.
Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CR2012

Bronze
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:27 am

Re: Is it the practice of law schools...

Post by CR2012 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:07 am

While this message in no way ensures your admission, we encourage you to apply. Every year, we end up admitting students who never thought they had a chance at getting into Harvard
Email I just got. This is just mean.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


User avatar
JCFindley

Silver
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Is it the practice of law schools...

Post by JCFindley » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:42 am

CR2012 wrote:
While this message in no way ensures your admission, we encourage you to apply. Every year, we end up admitting students who never thought they had a chance at getting into Harvard
Email I just got. This is just mean.
Hey, why not?

At least you can tell people you applied at Harvard. (If I had a fee waiver, I really would have.)

User avatar
dingbat

Gold
Posts: 4974
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Is it the practice of law schools...

Post by dingbat » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:51 am

JCFindley wrote:
CR2012 wrote:
While this message in no way ensures your admission, we encourage you to apply. Every year, we end up admitting students who never thought they had a chance at getting into Harvard
Email I just got. This is just mean.
Hey, why not?

At least you can tell people you applied at Harvard asked you to apply. (If I had a fee waiver, I really would have.)

User avatar
izy223

Bronze
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:51 pm

Re: Is it the practice of law schools...

Post by izy223 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:42 am

dingbat wrote:
JCFindley wrote:
CR2012 wrote:
While this message in no way ensures your admission, we encourage you to apply. Every year, we end up admitting students who never thought they had a chance at getting into Harvard
Email I just got. This is just mean.
Hey, why not?

At least you can tell people you applied at Harvard asked you to apply. (If I had a fee waiver, I really would have.)
Ill give you a good reason why not, Being placed on hold, then WLed then kept on WL then rejected one week into your 1L year. Oh Harvard you played with my heart

ETA: i may be a tad bit bitter

User avatar
JCFindley

Silver
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Is it the practice of law schools...

Post by JCFindley » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:48 am

And there, we have a damn good reason.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


User avatar
mqt

Gold
Posts: 2476
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:52 pm

Re: Is it the practice of law schools...

Post by mqt » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:27 am

I love the fee waivers from top schools. They even make it sound like you have no damn chance.

User avatar
dingbat

Gold
Posts: 4974
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Is it the practice of law schools...

Post by dingbat » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:39 am

izy223 wrote:Ill give you a good reason why not, Being placed on hold, then WLed then kept on WL then rejected one week into your 1L year. Oh Harvard you played with my heart

ETA: i may be a tad bit bitter
Boy, does that sound familiar

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


Post Reply

Return to “Choosing a Law School”