Loyola New Orleans - scholarship contingent on 2.7 Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
RedBirds2011

Silver

Re: Loyola New Orleans - scholarship contingent on 2.7

Post by RedBirds2011 » Mon May 28, 2012 1:00 pm

goldenflash19 wrote:
labf wrote:Define "job prospects". Do you mean finding a legal job in general, such as public interest jobs like public defense or finding a job with big law so I can sue single mothers for $550 000/downloaded MP3? Or take over people's land in imminent domain claims?

If I want to be rich, I'd take the risk adverse route, like becoming an air traffic controller, elevator repairman, miner, etc. I'm not doing this for the money. And if I want to be comfortable, I'd stay with the airline I'm currently working for.
By "job prospects," I mean finding meaningful, full-time legal employment. Check out lawschooltransparency.com for Loyola NOLA. Less than 60% of grads were reported as having full-time legal jobs. None of these jobs are school-funded, but this figure is still disconcerting. I would not take out a lot of loans to go there, especially in light of the fact you don't have ties to the area.

Don't go to loyola if you arent sure you want NOLA.
End story. If you are interested in job stats check out the new ABA placement stats summary. It's the most comprehensive out yet but not without it's faults.

labf

New

Re: Loyola New Orleans - scholarship contingent on 2.7

Post by labf » Mon May 28, 2012 6:49 pm

RedBirds2011 wrote:
goldenflash19 wrote:
labf wrote:Define "job prospects". Do you mean finding a legal job in general, such as public interest jobs like public defense or finding a job with big law so I can sue single mothers for $550 000/downloaded MP3? Or take over people's land in imminent domain claims?

If I want to be rich, I'd take the risk adverse route, like becoming an air traffic controller, elevator repairman, miner, etc. I'm not doing this for the money. And if I want to be comfortable, I'd stay with the airline I'm currently working for.
By "job prospects," I mean finding meaningful, full-time legal employment. Check out lawschooltransparency.com for Loyola NOLA. Less than 60% of grads were reported as having full-time legal jobs. None of these jobs are school-funded, but this figure is still disconcerting. I would not take out a lot of loans to go there, especially in light of the fact you don't have ties to the area.

Don't go to loyola if you arent sure you want NOLA.
End story. If you are interested in job stats check out the new ABA placement stats summary. It's the most comprehensive out yet but not without it's faults.
I love NOLA but I am worried by the lack of job prospects in NOLA (second largest employer in NOLA is a trucking company...which is better than the government, I guess) and the few contingencies that I have if NOLA doesn't work out. Not to mention the civil law thing... I imagine that has little portability with states that practice common law. Guess it'll have to be Houston, which is fine, as that is a great city in a great state (although not as dope as NO) and also a place that has jobs. This would be so much easier if I had us citizenship.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”