UCLA vs. USC for Entertainment Law Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UCLA or USC for Entertainment Law?

USC (30k/year)
56%
UCLA (22k/year)
44%

Total votes: 27

AEdwards37

New

UCLA vs. USC for Entertainment Law

Post by AEdwards37 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:08 pm

USC at 30k/year and UCLA at 22k/year. UCLA mentioned that more scholarships might become available after the May 1st deadline. I'm out of state so I wouldn't be able to get in-state tuition at UCLA till 2L. I've visited both schools and like them both for different reasons. Any thoughts on which school would better help me land a job in entertainment law? Thanks!

DBishops

New

Re: UCLA vs. USC for Entertainment Law

Post by DBishops » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:15 pm

Probably UCLA. Has a better national reputation in case you ever wanted to get out of LA. What did UCLA say specifically about your scholarship? That they may increase it after may 1st if you asked?

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:18 pm

DBishops wrote:Probably UCLA. Has a better national reputation in case you ever wanted to get out of LA. What did UCLA say specifically about your scholarship? That they may increase it after may 1st if you asked?
LOL. Do not go to UCLA for its "national reputation."

Golden Bear 11

Bronze

Post by Golden Bear 11 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:19 pm

AEdwards37 wrote: UCLA mentioned that more scholarships might become available after the May 1st deadline.
Do you have to request an increase or will UCLA automatically place you/admitted students under consideration?

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:19 pm

Same school. Go the cheaper route.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AEdwards37

New

Post by AEdwards37 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:21 pm

DBishops wrote:Probably UCLA. Has a better national reputation in case you ever wanted to get out of LA. What did UCLA say specifically about your scholarship? That they may increase it after may 1st if you asked?
Something like that. In my scholarship email they told me that more scholarship funds would be available after the May 1st deadline and that I should email them to ask for more then. No clue what the chances are that I would receive more though.

DBishops

New

Post by DBishops » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:26 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:
Nice taking this completely out of context. Compared to USC, UCLA is MUCH more respected nationally.

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:35 pm

Bronck wrote:Same school. Go the cheaper route.
TITCR.

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:48 pm

DBishops wrote:
moneybagsphd wrote:
Nice taking this completely out of context. Compared to USC, UCLA is MUCH more respected nationally.
So you're suggesting that OP should concern himself with national reputation when deciding between two regional schools? Having visited both UCLA and a number of T14 schools, I feel like there is a pretty enormous qualitative difference between the two.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DBishops

New

Post by DBishops » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:53 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:
DBishops wrote:
moneybagsphd wrote:
So you're suggesting that OP should concern himself with national reputation when deciding between two regional schools? Having visited both UCLA and a number of T14 schools, I feel like there is a pretty enormous qualitative difference between the two.
Definitely suggesting that, but I must qualify again that UCLA is more than a regional school. OP is moving into California and I think its prudent to consider what may give him more leverage if they decide on leaving. When also considering the potential for an increase in the scholarship, I think UCLA is a better choice. When you further consider other fields these schools offer, should OP decide against entertainment law for whatever reason, UCLA is again a safer bet.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:00 pm

Probably equals for entertainment law. Both offer concentrations in this area & while UCLA has an Entertainment Law Review, USC has an Entertainment Law Society (which might be humorous if it wasn't in LA). This might be a good question for each school's placement office. (As an aside, USC has an interesting undergraduate degree program in Writing for TV & Film that only accepts about 6% of its applicants, no transfers, even college degreed applicants must start as first term freshman & grads are heavily recruited into the industry.)

P.S. It would be interesting to see whether any entertainment law profs teach at both law schools. If so, then the more generous scholarship may be a determinitive factor.

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:26 pm

DBishops wrote: Definitely suggesting that, but I must qualify again that UCLA is more than a regional school. OP is moving into California and I think its prudent to consider what may give him more leverage if they decide on leaving. When also considering the potential for an increase in the scholarship, I think UCLA is a better choice. When you further consider other fields these schools offer, should OP decide against entertainment law for whatever reason, UCLA is again a safer bet.
If OP really cares about national reach, I would advise him not to attend either of these schools. I don't think UCLA will increase OP's scholarship award without any incentive (e.g. leveraged scholarship).I just don't buy the argument that UCLA is an objectively better school than USC. Maybe trivially better.

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:41 pm

With such a small difference in scholarships, I'd be more interested in seeing the total COA for all three years (including the in-state tuition switch). Crunch some numbers for us.

I have a feeling it'd be pretty insignificant. If so, go where you would be more happy. That might actually make a difference your grades.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:44 pm

USC and UCLA are peer schools. Pick the cheaper option unless you have a really good reason to go to one or the other. Don't pick based on chances for "entertainment" lawl.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”