Rescue me! UT, NU, UVA Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go

Northwestern = 140k COA
29%
UVA = 160k COA
33%
Texas = 70k COA
38%

Total votes: 21

Jaybaybay4

New

Rescue me! UT, NU, UVA

Post by Jaybaybay4 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:48 pm

So I have no idea where to go. As shown in the poll, I have money at Northwestern and Texas, sticker at UVA. I have ties to California, Chicago and Utah. My significant other will be working while I attend school, so COL should be covered with some to spare. I also have some savings to contribute to the cause. I would like to clerk (so would everybody else), and then work big law for a few years. I have visited Northwestern and UVA, and loved them both. However, I think that in the end I would enjoy the lifestyle and scenery more at UVA, but it's not a deciding factor. Given the facts, is UVA worth sticker over Northwestern? Is Texas best because it provides significantly less debt and only slightly worse job placement?

woeisme

Silver

Re: Rescue me! UT, NU, UVA

Post by woeisme » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:53 pm

UVA I guess if it was your favorite of the three. Close call though.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:12 am

If you want to work in TX then take UT. If you want to work in notTX then take NU/UVA. NU/UVA are close enough in cost that I don't think that cost is a deciding factor between the 2.

Can your SO get a job just as easily in Charlottesville as in Chicago? I'd choose based on that.

Jaybaybay4

New

Post by Jaybaybay4 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:29 am

Is the difference between Texas and NU/UVA significant when it comes to career opportunities? You hear a lot of talk about "portability" and national reach, are these real factors or just T14 elitism rhetoric? I ask because I really don't know.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:39 am

Jaybaybay4 wrote:Is the difference between Texas and NU/UVA significant when it comes to career opportunities? You hear a lot of talk about "portability" and national reach, are these real factors or just T14 elitism rhetoric? I ask because I really don't know.
The difference in job prospects is pretty significant: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=183053

The cost difference makes up for it if you want to practice in TX. Otherwise, UVA/NU are a much safer bet overall.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”