Vandy $$ vs. GULC sticker Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Vandy vs. GULC

Vandy (60,000 COA)
75%
GULC (150,000 COA)
25%

Total votes: 63

oliverfg

New

Vandy $$ vs. GULC sticker

Post by oliverfg » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:06 pm

Just got back from visiting both and it seemed that my heart liked Vandy better but my head said to pick GULC for job prospects, the DC location and alumni network. My father also has numerous contacts in the NYC area and he has been pushing for GULC as his friends (numerous Vault partners) have told him that I'm better off choosing GULC
1. Vandy (60,000 COA) and GULC (150,000 COA) I have parental support to offset some of the costs
2. I'm from outside NYC and have worked there every summer and it is the only place that I have ties. I went to college in VA
3. I want corporate biglaw (anti-trust or M&A) I would love to work in DC or ATL but I know that my ties (and father's network) are going to almost force me to go back to NYC, which I don't mind but I would rather some where a little more southern.
4. 169 3.6 applicant so I over performed my numbers and I used up all three takes on the LSAT
5. After visiting both I like Vandy's atmosphere better, but I'm afraid of not having any southern ties and being seen as a yankee

monkey85

Bronze

Re: Vandy $$ vs. GULC sticker

Post by monkey85 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:36 pm

What's the jerb/OCI scoop out of Vandy?

That you want BigLawl (antitrust or M&A) and are willing to do either DC or NYC seem to suggest GULC which gives you access to all that goodness. Sure, cost of attendance is distressing but if you really do have: (1) connections; and (2) are willing to work your tail off - landing the BigLawl jerb shouldn't be that much of a challenge.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:46 pm

Why not Cornell? It seems like Cornell would've given you a better shot at NYC biglaw than GULC, and you should've gotten in with your numbers.

Between the GULC & Vandy though? GULC definitely for NYC

oliverfg

New

Post by oliverfg » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:22 am

f0bolous wrote:Why not Cornell? It seems like Cornell would've given you a better shot at NYC biglaw than GULC, and you should've gotten in with your numbers.

I got into Cornell, but I can't deal with the cold for three years or Ithaca

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:55 am

But the library is warm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:00 am

Vanderbilt is your personal preference & costs significantly less than Georgetown therefore it seems like a reasonable choice even if targeting NYC. Also, you like The South & may get better Southern opportunities from Vanderbilt.

P.S. Were you admitted to Cornell ? Any other options ? Virginia ?

P.P.S. Won't your actual cost-of-attendance at GULC be much higher than $150,000 if you're paying sticker ? More like $225,000 to $240,000 ? Or will your parents only offer financial assistance for Georgetown ? Are you including living expenses in your Vanderbilt calculation of COA ?

oliverfg

New

Post by oliverfg » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:25 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Vanderbilt is your personal preference & costs significantly less than Georgetown therefore it seems like a reasonable choice even if targeting NYC. Also, you like The South & may get better Southern opportunities from Vanderbilt.

P.S. Were you admitted to Cornell ? Any other options ? Virginia ?

P.P.S. Won't your actual cost-of-attendance at GULC be much higher than $150,000 if you're paying sticker ? More like $225,000 to $240,000 ? Or will your parents only offer financial assistance for Georgetown ? Are you including living expenses in your Vanderbilt calculation of COA ?
In at Cornell, waitlisted at Virginia

My parents will be paying for around 80,000. GULC 230,000-80,000 (parents)= 150,000 COA and Vandy is 195,000-60,000 (Merit aid)- 75,000 (parents)= 60,000 COA Unless somewhere my math is off on my costs

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:36 pm

oliverfg wrote:
f0bolous wrote:Why not Cornell? It seems like Cornell would've given you a better shot at NYC biglaw than GULC, and you should've gotten in with your numbers.

But you can take the (exact same) cold in NYC for any number of years? I am almost sure that it was warmer/less snowy in Ithaca for the last 2 years than it was in NYC.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:53 pm

KMaine wrote:
oliverfg wrote:

But you can take the (exact same) cold in NYC for any number of years? I am almost sure that it was warmer/less snowy in Ithaca for the last 2 years than it was in NYC.
I'm sorry but is this accurate?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NJPitcher

Bronze

Post by NJPitcher » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:51 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
KMaine wrote:
oliverfg wrote:

I'm sorry but is this accurate?
No. Ithaca is right on the finger lakes, which are notorious for getting lake effect snowfalls in the winters. NYC occasionally gets a blizzard, but if the blizzard hits the city then it usually hits Ithaca as well (and that means the winter is bad enough that Ithaca gets another bad snowfall or two). Also, I believe that the cold was only half of his reason for choosing against Ithaca - the other reason being that it's Ithaca.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:00 pm

m
Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:30 pm

rad lulz wrote:Most recent data that we can compare shows 50% of GULC in biglaw (roughly firms of 100+) or federal clerkships vs 43% at Vanderbilt. That 7% difference is not worth 90% dollars.

And with $150k debt, you're gonna need biglaw to pay that off in a timely fashion. The most likely starting salary outcome outside of biglaw is gonna be about $50k (bimodal salary distribution curve). If you miss biglaw from GULC, you life will likely suck, but if you miss it at Vandy, the consequences are not nearly so dire (only $60k debt).

Plus you like Vandy more. Just go to Vanderbilt.
All of this.

skrillt

New

Post by skrillt » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:30 pm

Georgetown is not $100k more than Vanderbilt.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:48 pm

I am a flat-out pro-Vandy troll, and I don't even go there.

Any significant CoA difference puts Vandy comfortably >> GULC.

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:57 pm

So, I guess I missed the double objection to Ithaca because of the sentence structure. I do think the differences in weather between Ithaca and other northern locations are vastly overblown. There were literally 15 days this (admittedly mild) winter where there was any snow on the lawn outside my house. Also, I like it here, and whatever. Though Cornell is best for your goals IMO, you have other comparable options. Like other people said, the price tag for a Vandy law degree is decent. Maybe you should go there, though I would somewhat hesitate to recommend a non-T-14 if you are really interested in NYC.

anjmissy

Bronze

Post by anjmissy » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:05 pm

when i saw the topic of this post i knew exactly who it was for...my vote is for vandy

Chucky21

Bronze

Post by Chucky21 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:13 pm

KMaine wrote:So, I guess I missed the double objection to Ithaca because of the sentence structure. I do think the differences in weather between Ithaca and other northern locations are vastly overblown. There were literally 15 days this (admittedly mild) winter where there was any snow on the lawn outside my house. Also, I like it here, and whatever. Though Cornell is best for your goals IMO, you have other comparable options. Like other people said, the price tag for a Vandy law degree is decent. Maybe you should go there, though I would somewhat hesitate to recommend a non-T-14 if you are really interested in NYC.
Credited. Your goals and career prospects should drive your school search. Sure Ithaca may not be the most exciting place to be, or the warmest, but it will give you an excellent shot at biglaw, which is what you want. Cornell university as a whole has 16,000 students or more... I'm pretty sure there'll be something fun to do to take a break from the books, and keep you warm in the winter.

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:40 pm

oliverfg wrote:

Ithaca really isn't THAT much colder than NYC. If you can deal with winter there then Ithaca isn't going to break you, I promise. And honestly weather shouldn't be the overriding factor for a yank anyway. Ha!

I vote Cornell, but if you can't stomach that, pick whichever of the other two you think you'd regret not attending more. If it were me I'd do GULC, but not sure I'd do the same I were you as base upon your OP. How much Vandy money btw? And would GULC give any to make the decision easier?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”