Michigan or Duke Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Michigan(54k) or Duke(60k)

Michigan
53%
Duke
47%

Total votes: 30

pizzaguy1

New

Michigan or Duke

Post by pizzaguy1 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:30 am

Trying to choose between these two schools. I would prefer less debt but they seem pretty comparable both in rank and the debt I would graduate with. I most likely want to work in biglaw and maybe come back to California since I am from there. So are there any competitive advantages here between schools? Or is it really not much of a difference? Thanks for the help.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Re: Michigan or Duke

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:40 am

I don't think there's much of a difference here. Visit both. Make sure to try and talk to lots of current students from both. It would be helpful to talk to attorneys in the markets you want to work in and get their opinions (people on hiring committees and more recent associates would probably be more helpful than older partners who don't get involved in hiring). Maybe try to get their OCI employer lists and see how many California firms come to each school. I really don't think there's an obvious choice. Maybe Michigan has a slight advantage in terms of objective factors, but, if so, it's not much of one.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:13 am

l
Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

dabbadon8

Silver

Post by dabbadon8 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:39 am

I had to make this exact same choice. Same scholarships at both. I picked Duke. Definitely visit both.

sandiego222

Bronze

Post by sandiego222 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:08 am

I'm with the exact same choice... also from CA, but hoping NYC biglaw

I'm doing ASW II at Mich and trying to find time to make it to Durham

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Also, right now I have $ from Mich but haven't heard from Duke. How long is their scholarship turnaround time usually? Can I leverage?

I feel like I know a ton about Michigan. Anyone have some pros for Duke (other than the significantly better weather!) ?

How does the collegiality of the schools match up? I know UVA and Mich usually get credit as the most collegial (and collegiate) / good quality of life among T14s. Is Duke like that too? I imagine it would be, given it's location on campus, type/ age of students it attracts and what not......

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DorianGray89

Bronze

Post by DorianGray89 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:38 pm

Duke is really collegial, i was surprised by how friendly and welcoming people are, not at all competitive. We have a lot of sports league within the law school to keep us busy, including bowling and softball. I picked Duke over a higher ranked school and I love it, could not have picked a better place to go to law school. If you want more information message me.

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:27 am

Duke places well, and people who go here all want to go work in completely different places. Aiming for CA from here has been successful for everyone I know who's tried.

Most students' social lives revolve around the Duke Law community since we are not in a big city. The area is interesting because there are 3 cities with stuff to do in the triangle. Chapel Hill is 15 minutes away from campus, and many people live on the side of Duke that is on the way to Chapel Hill. CH is awesome.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”