$$Vanderbilt v. Columbia for government jobs Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dbs91355

New

$$Vanderbilt v. Columbia for government jobs

Post by dbs91355 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:29 am

I know this may be a strange questions to ask given the prestige difference between the two schools, but I ask primarily for financial reasons.

My goal is to get a government job in the DoJ or FTC, something like that. I've been offered admission to Columbia with what I can only assume to be no scholarship. I've also been offered about $120,000 over three years at Vanderbilt

I will have to get a loan for anything not covered by financial aid.

So I guess my question is, how important is it for someone with little to no interest in big law to go to the Columbia over Vanderbilt

Thank you.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Re: $$Vanderbilt v. Columbia for government jobs

Post by Doorkeeper » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:34 am

Although Columbia releasing their named merit scholarships with the acceptance, there is still the possibility that you get merit or need-aid in March/April. Turn in your financial materials and see what happens.

For prestigious government jobs, you're going to want to go to Columbia.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:44 am

$120,000 scholarship to Vanderbilt is unusual according to lawschoolnumbers.com reports. Highest scholarship amount for the past two cycles was reported as $110,000. Assuming that you receive no financial aid grant money from Columbia, then this is a tough call financially in the near term. Visit both, then decide. Clearly, Columbia is the safer choice regarding job prospects, while Vanderbilt offers financial peace of mind or, at least, financial freedom over the next 10 years. Congratulations !

P.S. Although I cannot answer your question, I think it depends upon how deep the DOJ will go for each school. In this economic climate of restraint, the answer may surprise some. FTC & other federal government agencies, however, probably go quite deep into each class at Columbia--although this is just a guess.

P.P.S. Also, you need to evaluate your options based on a change of career goals. If you decide to pursue private practice, then where do you prefer to live & work after law school ?

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:55 am

I'd probably go CLS here.

I may be wrong here, but isn't: big law --> big fed an increasingly popular path because of the lack of hiring in government right now?

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:56 am

If I were you, I would go to Columbia.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”