UPDATED: Help Me Choose (BC w/105k vs. Michigan at sticker) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where Should I Go?

BC (105k)
70%
Michigan (Sticker)
30%

Total votes: 50

Husky07

New

Re: UPDATED: Help Me Choose (BC w/105k vs. Michigan at Sticker)

Post by Husky07 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:29 pm

I've narrowed it down to these two. The poll was an exact tie before I reset it just now. I visited and liked both, albeit with a decent preference for Michigan. I'm concerned with money, hail from MA, and wish to practice in Boston. I'd be able to graduate from BC with significant money left in the bank as opposed to the six figure debt I'd have if I choose Michigan. There's some more background at the beginning of the thread. Any more thoughts that might help me make my choice?

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:33 pm

Husky07 wrote: I'm concerned with money, hail from MA, and wish to practice in Boston. I'd be able to graduate from BC with significant money left in the bank as opposed to the six figure debt I'd have if I choose Michigan.
Easily BC then.

bobbyh1919

Silver

Post by bobbyh1919 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:44 pm

Husky07 wrote:I've narrowed it down to these two. The poll was an exact tie before I reset it just now. I visited and liked both, albeit with a decent preference for Michigan. I'm concerned with money, hail from MA, and wish to practice in Boston. I'd be able to graduate from BC with significant money left in the bank as opposed to the six figure debt I'd have if I choose Michigan. There's some more background at the beginning of the thread. Any more thoughts that might help me make my choice?
Take the $ and run.

elm84dr

Bronze

Post by elm84dr » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:32 pm

Husky07 wrote:I've narrowed it down to these two. The poll was an exact tie before I reset it just now. I visited and liked both, albeit with a decent preference for Michigan. I'm concerned with money, hail from MA, and wish to practice in Boston. I'd be able to graduate from BC with significant money left in the bank as opposed to the six figure debt I'd have if I choose Michigan. There's some more background at the beginning of the thread. Any more thoughts that might help me make my choice?
Out of curiosity, why no BU?
More money from BC?

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:59 pm

BC.

Also, international law isn't a thing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronze

Post by 83947368 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:26 pm

Last edited by 83947368 on Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Husky07

New

Post by Husky07 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:35 pm

elm84dr wrote:
Out of curiosity, why no BU?
More money from BC?
It was a tough call as I liked both of my visits and had identical offers. I picked BC because I preferred the campus, quiet location, brand name, sports program, and "Disneyland" reputation versus the cut-throat legacy at BU (supposedly a thing of the past, but it was mentioned more than once during my ASW). The faculty at both were great, but BC stood out because they took the time to call me on multiple occasions. Plus, as I mentioned before, I'm biased as a Catholic with an alumni in my family.

So there are a lot of reasons, some superficial, though the tiny statistical advantage in employment numbers also didn't hurt. It really was a tough choice because I enjoyed my visit to BU more than I expected. I'll also say in defense of the tower that the views looking out of the building and the location next to the Charles River are beautiful.
Last edited by Husky07 on Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

kimsatcat

New

Post by kimsatcat » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:12 am

Mich. and It feels like the solid reason is given already
good amount of $$$, but perhaps becuase I personally know someone from BC/BU who is struggling right now, I cannot ignore Michigan's better job prospective.

Husky07

New

Post by Husky07 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:30 am

It might also be worth mentioning that I negotiated with every school on my original list. Fordham didn't budge from sticker, which was a huge disappointment. GW offered 28k, which made me think twice, but wasn't enough ultimately. The other schools, Michigan, BU, and BC, also didn't budge. I'm leaning towards taking the money at BC, but I'm tempted to do a multi-deposit, ride my waitlists, retake, and see if my prospects improve.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:58 am

Husky07 wrote:It might also be worth mentioning that I negotiated with every school on my original list. Fordham didn't budge from sticker, which was a huge disappointment. GW offered 28k, which made me think twice, but wasn't enough ultimately. The other schools, Michigan, BU, and BC, also didn't budge. I'm leaning towards taking the money at BC, but I'm tempted to do a multi-deposit, ride my waitlists, retake, and see if my prospects improve.
If you aren't happy with your options, you should just commit to the retake. Don't deposit at schools you are uncomfortable with. There is no reason to you have to settle for these schools at these prices.

Husky07

New

Post by Husky07 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:13 am

Nelson wrote:
Husky07 wrote:It might also be worth mentioning that I negotiated with every school on my original list. Fordham didn't budge from sticker, which was a huge disappointment. GW offered 28k, which made me think twice, but wasn't enough ultimately. The other schools, Michigan, BU, and BC, also didn't budge. I'm leaning towards taking the money at BC, but I'm tempted to do a multi-deposit, ride my waitlists, retake, and see if my prospects improve.
If you aren't happy with your options, you should just commit to the retake. Don't deposit at schools you are uncomfortable with. There is no reason to you have to settle for these schools at these prices.
Well, my concern is that I won't improve my LSAT. I studied hard last time, though I think taking a class was a mistake. If I retake in June, I can reassess my options with a new score and a seat in my back pocket. If the score doesn't improve my prospects, I'd feel foolish having wasted good offers that may not return and a year of my life; I'm already five years out of UG. It's not that I'm unhappy with my options, it's more of a nagging feeling that I can score higher. I may need to do some prep and practice tests before deciding if it's worth taking the plunge in June.

tlsposter

New

Re: UPDATED: Help Me Choose (BC w/105k vs. Michigan at sticker)

Post by tlsposter » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:09 pm

Keep your debt down. Michigan salaries are not typically biglaw salaries, unless you get Chicago biglaw, which isn't exactly easy even out of Michigan. Boston was less affected by the downturn and given the lower debt from the scholarship at the Boston school, you should seriously consider taking the money.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”