Fordham (Sticker) vs Uconn and Villanova Fullride Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
E.mills

New

Fordham (Sticker) vs Uconn and Villanova Fullride

Post by E.mills » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:05 pm

I am from northern New Jersey, did my undergrad at UConn, and would like to stay in the NYC area.from what i read on here, Big Law prospects are not amazing out of Fordham unless you rank very high in the class, and Villanova and UConn really can't place graduates in big law jobs. My issue that Fordham offered me no money, UConn gave me full scholarship contingent on maintaining a 3.0, and Nova a full ride with a 2.0 minimum. Although i want to go to the best school i got into, Villanova is sounding more attractive, what would you guys recommend?

MrAnon

Gold

Re: Fordham (Sticker) vs Uconn and Villanova Fullride

Post by MrAnon » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:21 pm

I think you are right to avoid Fordham. I know some Villanova grads but no one from UCONN. Based on my experience with them I say avoid Villanova. Try to negotiate with Uconn. 3.0 shoulnd't be that hard to keep but who knows.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:03 pm

MrAnon wrote:I think you are right to avoid Fordham. I know some Villanova grads but no one from UCONN. Based on my experience with them I say avoid Villanova. Try to negotiate with Uconn. 3.0 shoulnd't be that hard to keep but who knows.
With a 3.25 median GPA, Villanova's scholarship stips effectively don't even come into play. UConn, on the other hand, will drop you if you end up below median.

Both schools are on effectively equal footing, and neither will give you a great shot at ending up in NYC. If you wouldn't mind working in Philly, I'd say take Villanova. But if you really want New York, I'd say retake/reapply. Did you apply to Cardozo? They should have $$$ to throw at you.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:12 pm

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... slreturn=1

If you want biglaw, you've got to be top 25% at Fordham, but have almost no chance from Nova or UConn.
If you're not interested in biglaw, or don't want to take the risk, go to Nova or UConn - I'd pick Nova.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:18 pm

dingbat wrote:http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... slreturn=1

If you want biglaw, you've got to be top 25% at Fordham, but have almost no chance from Nova or UConn.
If you're not interested in biglaw, or don't want to take the risk, go to Nova or UConn - I'd pick Nova.
QF not understanding how legal hiring works.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

E.mills

New

Post by E.mills » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:47 pm

Yeah, part of my want for big law would be to pay the debt off from attending Fordham. however, I am leaning more and more to Villanova, Big law isn't the main goal of me going to law school. Thanks for the reply's so far, if anyone else has any knowledge they'd like to send my way it is appreciated

mebo28

New

Post by mebo28 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:37 pm

If you would like my 2 cents, I would tell you to go to the school that costs the least and that you like the most. I would recommend visiting the schools if possible.

If you are only going to Fordham for big law in nyc, I would stay away. Almost (almost) no school guarentees big law these days. That said, you may change what you want to do in law school, better yet you might get humbled.

I currently go to UConn so I'll also throw in my 2 cents about them. Its a decent school and it has connections to New York. In fact, a lot of people end up working in New York....may be not at the top firms, but they do decent. CT only offers a few large firms and basically its for the top 10 students. Still, many of the firms in CT have ties to NY. Remember, CT is part of the Tri-State Area. Personally, I am not a fan of NY. Therefore, I could care less about NY stats.

Knowing what I do now about law school, I would kill someone for a full ride with a 2.0 stipulation (I currently have a decent deal, but nothing close to this). Therefore, if you like nova and the area, I would no doubt go there. Not to knock my school, but that is a very sweet deal. Plus I am sure Philly is better than Hartford.

[Edit] If you are going to potentially get left off the BigLaw train (and that is a very high percentage)/ or you change what you want to do (or even that you hate law school), what would you like to be left with?
Last edited by mebo28 on Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:40 pm

E.mills wrote:I am from northern New Jersey, did my undergrad at UConn, and would like to stay in the NYC area.from what i read on here, Big Law prospects are not amazing out of Fordham unless you rank very high in the class, and Villanova and UConn really can't place graduates in big law jobs. My issue that Fordham offered me no money, UConn gave me full scholarship contingent on maintaining a 3.0, and Nova a full ride with a 2.0 minimum. Although i want to go to the best school i got into, Villanova is sounding more attractive, what would you guys recommend?
Try to negotiate the UConn stip down.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:54 pm

E.mills wrote:I am from northern New Jersey, did my undergrad at UConn, and would like to stay in the NYC area.from what i read on here, Big Law prospects are not amazing out of Fordham unless you rank very high in the class, and Villanova and UConn really can't place graduates in big law jobs. My issue that Fordham offered me no money, UConn gave me full scholarship contingent on maintaining a 3.0, and Nova a full ride with a 2.0 minimum. Although i want to go to the best school i got into, Villanova is sounding more attractive, what would you guys recommend?
Fordham is not a bad school, it is just super expensive, and certainly not worth the investment at that cost. You just can't bank on being top 1/3.

Your best bet is probably to retake and try for it again. Law school can wait. You are right that Uconn is not a biglaw power, and neither is Villanova. If that is your goal, then you need better law school options. If you are willing to be flexible (in other words, you don't gun from biglaw) and are willing possibly stay in Connecticut, then see if you can work on that stipulation and think about attending. But if biglaw is your goal, none of these is a good choice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”