Vanderbilt vs. Georgetown Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
emkay625

Gold

Vanderbilt vs. Georgetown

Post by emkay625 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:25 pm

I am currently in at both. Is it crazy to pick Vanderbilt over Georgetown?

Info: want to end up back in Texas, splitter so will most likely not get very much money from either.

kaiser

Gold

Re: Vanderbilt vs. Georgetown

Post by kaiser » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:28 pm

Not only is it not stupid to pick Vanderbilt, but its probably the better choice if you want to go back to Texas. Don't let the rankings push all logic to the wayside.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:33 pm

depends on what you want to do and scholarship money etc. If you have any inkling that you might want to do Public Interest Gtown wins hands down (because of lrap). If all you're looking for is private practice then I'd say probably Vandy a lot of that would be because of the small class size. Are you still waiting on TX? because that would probably be the best choice for you

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:56 pm

FlanAl wrote:depends on what you want to do and scholarship money etc. If you have any inkling that you might want to do Public Interest Gtown wins hands down (because of lrap). If all you're looking for is private practice then I'd say probably Vandy a lot of that would be because of the small class size. Are you still waiting on TX? because that would probably be the best choice for you
I am, but my gpa is below their floor so texas is 99.99% out.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:02 am

Gtown's overrated. Vandy's a great school, should be cheaper and it'll give you options for your desired market. Considering you wanna be in TX Vandy makes so much more sense.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:15 am

Any money at either?

ekbrown09

Bronze

Post by ekbrown09 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:18 am

Last edited by ekbrown09 on Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Na_Swatch

Bronze

Post by Na_Swatch » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:23 am

Quality of Life and Cost of Living for Vanderbilt versus Georgetown alone probably already make up for any actual difference in terms of rankings (which is doubtful in the first place, esp for the South/Texas).

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:38 am

tis sure love the vandy. OP I made this decision last year so feel free to pm (ended up going somewhere else in the end but these were my only two viable options for a while).

As far as quality of life I think each school has a fair amount going for it, lots of people like DC (I prefer Nashville but I don't think its fair to say that vandy automatically has a better quality of life)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:50 am

SilverE2 wrote:Any money at either?
Nope, and I am a splitter so it's unlikely that any will be coming.

American_in_China

Bronze

Post by American_in_China » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:06 am

I would choose Vandy, but then again I'm from Nashville and would be happy to end up back there for my career, so Vandy is very logical for me. If only they would accept me...

Anyways, definitely Vandy if you're sure about going back to Texas. If you want NYC or DC, Gtown. If you want Midwest or the South, Vandy. I think Vandy is a little better for clerkships as well.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:21 am

Wait for money, srsly.

I will say that Texas has become one of our larger markets lately though.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:39 am

One distinguishing factor, among many, is that Vanderbilt is a much smaller law school (about 600 law students) than Georgetown (about 2,000 law students including both full-time & part-time enrollment).

Another distinguishing factor is that Vanderbilt offers an university campus environment whereas Georgetown Law Center is a separate law only "campus".

Assuming full pay at each, your choice should be easy based on the different environments, in my opinion.

P.S. Have you applied to SMU ? SMU offers close to true "full rides" (tuition, fees & housing allowance stipend) to residents of certain states & is very well respected in the Dallas area. If you're certain that Texas is your target market, then SMU should be on your list, in my opinion, especially since UTexas is out.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Perdevise

Bronze

Post by Perdevise » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:36 pm

CoL in DC will be atrocious, GULC is over-saturated and doesn't place in TX anything like Vanderbilt.

Boourns76

New

Post by Boourns76 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:32 pm

Dude, you guys are all giving terrible advice. I've been out of school for a while, but here's how I'd look at it. Vandy is more of a "regional" school than Georgetown. It may or may not make up for that to some degree in Texas placements, but you'll never go wrong with the "prestigious" school, assuming you're fine with the debt and/or thinking about firms afterward.

At Vandy, you'd probably have to place in top 10% to get a good firm job; at Georgetown, it's probably more like top third. Or at least that's my perspective from the employer side.

As an aside, I wouldn't completely choose your school based on your expected geographic location at this point in your life. Who knows what will happen later in life? Maybe you meet the person of your dreams and s/he refuses to go to Texas. Maybe you get a great opportunity. Or maybe you just change your cultural preferences and outlook over the course of law school and a clerkship. I had a similar decision when I was in law school, and I went with the better reputation school. I can honestly say it's opened tons of doors for me through my career.

I think it's pretty clear that Georgetown gives you more options, and that its perceived reputational superiority over Vandy is far greater than the small rankings difference. One way to check this for yourself though is to call up any friends or friends of friends you have in Texas firms.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:19 pm

Boourns76 wrote: At Vandy, you'd probably have to place in top 10% to get a good firm job; at Georgetown, it's probably more like top third. Or at least that's my perspective from the employer side.
What is a "good firm job?" Top 10% of our Vanderbilt's class this year is going to V10 firms plus some big names in DC (the people I can recall anyway that I can guess would be in the top 10%). Even for c/o 2010, 40% of grads got NLJ250 or AIII clerkships.
I think it's pretty clear that Georgetown gives you more options, and that its perceived reputational superiority over Vandy is far greater than the small rankings difference. One way to check this for yourself though is to call up any friends or friends of friends you have in Texas firms.
I'd call up TX people for sure. But I'd wager that Vanderbilt has more Texas firms at OCI. It's one of our more popular markets now.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:45 pm

Boourns76 wrote:Dude, you guys are all giving terrible advice...
Whenever someone starts a post this way I know for a fact that quality advice follows.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:10 pm

Boourns76 wrote:Dude, you guys are all giving terrible advice. I've been out of school for a while, but here's how I'd look at it. Vandy is more of a "regional" school than Georgetown. It may or may not make up for that to some degree in Texas placements, but you'll never go wrong with the "prestigious" school, assuming you're fine with the debt and/or thinking about firms afterward.

At Vandy, you'd probably have to place in top 10% to get a good firm job; at Georgetown, it's probably more like top third. Or at least that's my perspective from the employer side.

As an aside, I wouldn't completely choose your school based on your expected geographic location at this point in your life. Who knows what will happen later in life? Maybe you meet the person of your dreams and s/he refuses to go to Texas. Maybe you get a great opportunity. Or maybe you just change your cultural preferences and outlook over the course of law school and a clerkship. I had a similar decision when I was in law school, and I went with the better reputation school. I can honestly say it's opened tons of doors for me through my career.

Terrible poast.

Vandy is a great school, go there unless GULG offers you enough cash to offset it.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:12 pm

I would probably choose Vandy due to the COL difference alone if I had no geographical preference.

drylo

Bronze

Post by drylo » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:06 am

Boourns76 wrote:At Vandy, you'd probably have to place in top 10% to get a good firm job; at Georgetown, it's probably more like top third. Or at least that's my perspective from the employer side.
LOL
Boourns76 wrote:I had a similar decision when I was in law school, and I went with the better reputation school. I can honestly say it's opened tons of doors for me through my career.
Good for you. But there are also a lot of people out there who chose a lesser-ranked school (than some of their other options) and are just as happy with their choice--including me.

Boourns76

New

Post by Boourns76 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:31 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
Terrible poast.

Vandy is a great school, go there unless GULG offers you enough cash to offset it.
Whatever. It's "post" by the way.

I'm not trying to talk smack about Vanderbilt. It's a very fine school. But having worked at a few top firms on the East and West Coast, I am pretty comfortable saying that we did not view Vanderbilt as being in the same class of school as Georgetown (my general view, and I am not a Gtown grad and do not have a Gtown connection, although I did practice for a few years in DC, is that some schools (like Georgetown) play higher than their US News rank, and some play lower (I could mention others, but maybe I'll stop offending people for no particular reason)). Gtown is seen as a national school, whereas Vandy is a regional school. Pure and simple. So if you want to practice in the South, then I think Vanderbilt is a great choice, but as I said, I think you may be surprised at the turns your life takes. I know plenty of folks who thought they'd end up in a certain geographic area, who did not end up doing so. Your life plan at 25 is much different than your life plan at 30/35/etc.

And of course, to restate the obvious, if you do really well at either school, it won't matter, as your options will be wide open. We're not talk about TTT schools here. Congratulations on your options.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:53 pm

Boourns76 wrote:
YourCaptain wrote:
Terrible poast.

Whatever. It's "post" by the way.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:55 pm

Boourns76 wrote:Whatever. It's "post" by the way.
lolol

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:01 pm

Boourns76 wrote:Gtown is seen as a national school, whereas Vandy is a regional school. Pure and simple.
Scads of grads don't practice in the South any more. Outside Nashville, the biggest markets are NYC, California, Atlanta, Texas.

And in this economy, "national vs. regional" isn't really a good distinction. Both schools are national in the sense that they can get you that first job in wherever you have ties to. But from both schools you're gonna have a hell of a time getting jobs in places you don't have ties. Back in 2007, what you're saying made more sense, but this 2011 recruiting season bears little resemblance to pre-crash hiring.

drylo

Bronze

Post by drylo » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:02 pm

Boourns76 wrote:And of course, to restate the obvious, if you do really well at either school, it won't matter, as your options will be wide open. We're not talk about TTT schools here. Congratulations on your options.
Right. Where you went off the reservation was your pronouncement that doing "really well" means top 10% at Vandy but top third at GULC.

And, of course, this is credited as well (at least outside of NYC):
Grizz wrote:And in this economy, "national vs. regional" isn't really a good distinction. Both schools are national in the sense that they can get you that first job in wherever you have ties to. But from both schools you're gonna have a hell of a time getting jobs in places you don't have ties.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”