Question for local/state level prosecutors/DAs Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
msuz

Bronze

Question for local/state level prosecutors/DAs

Post by msuz » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:22 pm

If you are a local/state level prosecutor/ADA/DA, what types of law schools are applicants at your place of employment coming from? Are they mostly from the smaller local/state law school, or are there a lot more from better well-known, regional law schools, or even T14 law schools?

I ask because I want to go into public interest law or local/state govt. Who are you employing, what types of internships should I do during my 1L and 2L summers, and how can I make myself competitive to become a prosecutor or DA at the local/state level?

Revolver066

Bronze

Re: Question for local/state level prosecutors/DAs

Post by Revolver066 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:24 pm

msuz

Bronze

Post by msuz » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:26 pm

AWESOME. thanks.

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:13 pm

The central IL county I'm interning for may be an anomaly, but we're not T30 or bust when it comes to hiring. Some of the relatively recent hires include graduates from Southern Illinois, Northern Illinois, Loyola, Cooley, and one from UVa. The judges in the area are almost exclusively SIU/NIU. It's not quite as hard out here as some on these boards would have you believe.

msuz

Bronze

Post by msuz » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:37 am

mrtoren wrote:The central IL county I'm interning for may be an anomaly, but we're not T30 or bust when it comes to hiring. Some of the relatively recent hires include graduates from Southern Illinois, Northern Illinois, Loyola, Cooley, and one from UVa. The judges in the area are almost exclusively SIU/NIU. It's not quite as hard out here as some on these boards would have you believe.
That's kind of what I was thinking. My mother knows a prosecutor in MI, and when she asked him where he went, I found out he went to Cooley as well.

The hate on these forums has forever deterred me from even thinking about Cooley, but maybe for Michigan and a few areas around it at least, a few people from there do ok.

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:04 pm

msuz wrote: That's kind of what I was thinking. My mother knows a prosecutor in MI, and when she asked him where he went, I found out he went to Cooley as well.

The hate on these forums has forever deterred me from even thinking about Cooley, but maybe for Michigan and a few areas around it at least, a few people from there do ok.
The problems with Cooley go beyond its crappy ranking and horrible reputation..its also very expensive. NIU/SIU are decent choices in Illinois because they cost about $18k/year and hand out a fair amount of scholarships. Cooley is around $30k/year. I haven't looked into Michigan too much, but there must be other law schools that offer a lower tuition rate. However, in the event you can't get on with a prosecutor's office or a PD office, you're gonna be in a world of trouble from any of those lower ranked schools. Gov't hiring is way down right now and a back up plan is essential.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”