PSA: You will not work in "international law" Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Diamond

PSA: You will not work in "international law"

Post by 20160810 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:23 pm

That is all.

Bosque

Gold

Re: PSA: You will not work in "international law"

Post by Bosque » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:31 pm

--ImageRemoved--

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:35 pm

SBL wrote:That is all.
But I have a time machine. All I need is a Harvard acceptance.

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:38 pm

HeavenWood wrote:

Will that time machine take you to the future when international law exists?

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:41 pm

Nope, my law school has a really awesome international law specialty ranking. I am pretty sure I going to be working as a litigator at the ICC when I graduate. I will probably be on the team that prosecutes Gaddafi's son.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:53 pm

swc65 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

Will that time machine take you to the future when international law exists?
No, the past. More specifically the 1970s.

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:20 pm

Bosque wrote:--ImageRemoved--
Creepily, this seems to be at close to the same beat as the song I'm listening to.

Glock

Bronze

Post by Glock » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:25 pm

But the International Criminal Court employs like 50 lawyers!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:02 am

HeavenWood wrote:
Can I borrow your time machine?

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:05 am

vanwinkle wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

Can I hitch a ride... I'd like to go back to say the late 60's... When a law license meant you could fucking print money.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:09 am

Where's the douche who told people he was different because he did his research? I'd love for him to join this thread.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:11 am

reasonable_man wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

Can I hitch a ride... I'd like to go back to say the late 60's... When a law license meant you could fucking print money.
i'll pass on the late 60s... i don't think black men were prevalent in the legal profession at this time.

ohwait...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:20 am

International law exists. While I understand that most 0/1L's have an unrealistic idea of what it is, that does not change the fact that it exists.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:23 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:International law exists. While I understand that most 0/1L's have an unrealistic idea of what it is, that does not change the fact that it exists.
Are we talking international M&A? Because I don't think that is what they mean.

chris0805

Silver

Post by chris0805 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:47 pm

International human rights law exists as well. I know several people from my class who are working in that field. I considered working in that field while I was in law school (and interned at a couple human rights NGOs), but it often is more policy and social science work, and you rarely have any clients. In the end, it didn't suit my interests so I shifted my focus after my 1L summer.

I also don't know how viable it is for students not coming from T10 law schools. I know it's definitely possible from CLS, but that's pretty much the extent to

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:07 pm

chris0805 wrote:International human rights law exists as well. I know several people from my class who are working in that field. I considered working in that field while I was in law school (and interned at a couple human rights NGOs), but it often is more policy and social science work, and you rarely have any clients. In the end, it didn't suit my interests so I shifted my focus after my 1L summer.

I also don't know how viable it is for students not coming from T10 law schools. I know it's definitely possible from CLS, but that's pretty much the extent to
There should also be a thread titled "You will not be accepted into Yale"
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:30 pm

I really don't want to get into these discussions, but I don't think it's that farfetched. I mean yes, it is hard to get a job in this field, but I know many people who work in this field.

- Lawyers who defend asylum cases in the U.S. and do immigration law work (in my law firm right now, several lawyers from Michigan Law do immigration & refugee rights work)
- I know alums of NYU and CLS who are working internationally through fellowships. They are working with local NGOs, human rights watch, etc.

It's not easy, but it's not impossible. Why is everyone so angry about it?

Working for Skadden or getting a job in academia/as a professor is hard too. But it's not impossible. Let people aim for whatever they want. If they get into law school and realize it won't be possible, then they'll shift their path. There's no need to be so hostile.

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:33 pm

I have a friend from my class who is going to be working internationally in the realm of human rights (through a fellowship).. Definitely not impossible (but you need a background in this type of stuff). Although, to generalize, it's probably safe to assume, when going into law school, that you won't be working in "international law."

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:52 pm

I have a friend from my class who is going to be working internationally in the realm of human rights (through a fellowship)
- I know alums of NYU and CLS who are working internationally through fellowships. They are working with local NGOs, human rights watch, etc.
I know plenty of people who got one year fellowships- they are almost always short-term. Very few actually make a career out of it.
- Lawyers who defend asylum cases in the U.S. and do immigration law work (in my law firm right now, several lawyers from Michigan Law do immigration & refugee rights work)
That's not really international law. It's domestic immigration law.

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:15 am

shoeshine wrote:Nope, my law school has a really awesome international law specialty ranking. I am pretty sure I going to be working as a litigator at the ICC when I graduate. I will probably be on the team that prosecutes Gaddafi's son.
I forgot to add that I am a unique snowflake so I ignore the negativity on this board.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Halie

New

Post by Halie » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:46 am

I've worked in "international law" (depending on the definition).

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:04 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:International law exists. While I understand that most 0/1L's have an unrealistic idea of what it is, that does not change the fact that it exists.
+1

TLSers seem to really get off on bashing ppl who are interested in International Law. It gets old, is rude to those who have genuine questions and expressed interest, and is also largely misinformed and shortsighted (to mock those who have an interest in doing something involving-- *gasp*-- laws other than those of only the US). The difficulty certain posters have with those interested in international law highlights the American-centric viewpoint that has alienated many citizens of foreign nations. A greater emphasis on International Law study and practice will occur IMO, though of course laws and customs will always be at least somewhat regional as well. /rant

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:16 am

Lawquacious wrote:
+1

TLSers seem to really get off on bashing ppl who are interested in International Law. It gets old, is rude to those who have genuine questions and expressed interest, and is also largely misinformed and shortsighted (to mock those who have an interest in doing something involving-- *gasp*-- laws other than those of only the US). The difficulty certain posters have with those interested in international law highlights the American-centric viewpoint that has alienated many citizens of foreign nations. A greater emphasis on International Law study and practice will occur IMO, though of course laws and customs will always be at least somewhat regional as well. /rant
People don't bash international law because of an American-centric worldview. They bash it because thousands of students come into law school every year expecting to make a career out of an objectively tiny field that is beyond competitive. Your rant is kinda ridiculous. HTH

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:29 am

Halie wrote:I've worked in "international law" (depending on the definition).
The term is basically meaningless without a qualifier, ex. Intl. arbitration. But this isn't what 0Ls generally mean "international law." Example: some chick at a local Florida school told me she wanted to do international law to "fly around the world doing treaties n stuff." Mmkay.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”