Law schools that make the most partners Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
quakeroats

Silver

Re: Law schools that make the most partners

Post by quakeroats » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:46 am

showNprove wrote:
thecilent wrote:
whitman wrote:Damn. I'm either deferring to Duke or UVA, and this was a huge plug for UVA...Duke doesn't look so good there.
I really, really hope this does not factor into your decision between duke and uva
Maybe Duke can start a program where they pay law firms to give their alumni the "Partner" title? Then 100% of Duke students can be employed and make partner.
A few thoughts:

1. The data was collected between June of 2010 and June of 2011 by RAs at Loyola LA. Anyone who graduated law school and made partner but left law-firm practice between 1986 and June of 2010 won't be counted.

2. The time period under consideration is extended (25 years), especially compared to studies of biglaw associates who join their initial firms for 18 months-3 years on average.

3. Associate hiring decisions are based on a combination of factors including school, grades, likability, and work experience. Firms overhire, and expect almost everyone they select not to make partner. Partnership decisions in big firms are made on a very different set of factors including billing a satisfactory number of hours, perceived ability to develop clients and client relationships, practice-area needs of the firm, expertise and ability, likability, and an overall will-making-this-person-a-member-of-the-firm-benefit-us calculation. Law-school related factors (where, when, what and how well one did) are tertiary concerns at the partnership level.

4. This data isn't particularly helpful to law students.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:49 am

quakeroats wrote:
showNprove wrote:
thecilent wrote:
whitman wrote:Damn. I'm either deferring to Duke or UVA, and this was a huge plug for UVA...Duke doesn't look so good there.
I really, really hope this does not factor into your decision between duke and uva
Maybe Duke can start a program where they pay law firms to give their alumni the "Partner" title? Then 100% of Duke students can be employed and make partner.
A few thoughts:

1. The data was collected between June of 2010 and June of 2011 by RAs at Loyola LA. Anyone who graduated law school and made partner but left law-firm practice between 1986 and June of 2010 won't be counted.

2. The time period under consideration is extended (25 years), especially compared to studies of biglaw associates who join their initial firms for 18 months-3 years on average.

3. Associate hiring decisions are based on a combination of factors including school, grades, likability, and work experience. Firms overhire, and expect almost everyone they select not to make partner. Partnership decisions in big firms are made on a very different set of factors including billing a satisfactory number of hours, perceived ability to develop clients and client relationships, practice-area needs of the firm, expertise and ability, likability, and an overall will-making-this-person-a-member-of-the-firm-benefit-us calculation. Law-school related factors (where, when, what and how well one did) are tertiary concerns at the partnership level.

somebody mad

oh, I do see where you pointed out that the unlikability of Duke grads is keeping them from being partner though, so kudos

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:54 am

Helmholtz wrote: somebody mad
Not at all. Did you read what I wrote?

Humpty Dumpty

New

Post by Humpty Dumpty » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:57 am

nvm
Last edited by Humpty Dumpty on Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:03 pm

Humpty Dumpty wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:School Class Size Partners Weighted

Chicago 195 426 2.184615385
Harvard 577 946 1.639514731
Surprisingly large gap. (Considering that the space between #1 and #2 is about the same as the gap between #2 Harvard and #13 Cornell.)
Columbia 433 516 1.191685912
This is interesting. Never would have pegged all of MVP as higher in partner numbers than Columbia.
Perhaps Columbia suffers from placing mostly in NYC where people say there's more attrition on the way to partner?
The Study reports New York numbers too:

NYU: 364
Columbia: 286
Harvard: 259
Fordham: 244
Georgetown 140
Penn: 100
Brooklyn: 88
St. John's: 87
Boston University: 85
Yale: 82

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:58 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
A few thoughts:

somebody mad

oh, I do see where you pointed out that the unlikability of Duke grads is keeping them from being partner though, so kudos
TBF this could be one of the more idiotic reasons in history to actually choose UVA over Duke.

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:03 pm

whitman wrote:
thecilent wrote:
Nope. I'm PI-focused. Just found it interesting.
Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
A few thoughts:

somebody mad

TBF this could be one of the more idiotic reasons in history to actually choose UVA over Duke.
Agreed, and, even though no one cares, I just want to say that I am not that much of an idiot.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:26 pm

The thing that this study does confirm is that Harvard absolutely pwns. It's in the top 5 in NY, DC, LA, Boston, Houston, SF, and SD, and is in the top 10 everywhere else.

PNW Noob

New

Post by PNW Noob » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:51 pm

whitman wrote:
thecilent wrote:
Nope. I'm PI-focused. Just found it interesting.

I was also surprised at how low UWashington is. They're the best school in the Pacific Northwest and their class size is tiny. I guess this just reinforces the widely repeated mantra that the Seattle legal market is tiny.
Actually, he didn't do the math for the entire list. UW=61/180=0.33889* In other words, it'd rank just above Brooklyn in the weighted list.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:12 pm

Humpty Dumpty wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:School Class Size Partners Weighted

Chicago 195 426 2.184615385
Harvard 577 946 1.639514731
Surprisingly large gap. (Considering that the space between #1 and #2 is about the same as the gap between #2 Harvard and #13 Cornell.)
Columbia 433 516 1.191685912
This is interesting. Never would have pegged all of MVP as higher in partner numbers than Columbia.
Perhaps Columbia suffers from placing mostly in NYC where people say there's more attrition on the way to partner?
I was just going to say this. NYC biglaw is leveraged to the hilt. Chicago Biglaw actually hires with the hope of you staying with the firm. Perhaps that's why Chicago and Northwestern are relatively so high. Also, for NU, they have a much greater proportion of people with decent work experience, and that probably really helps. I'd bet it's a better predictor of firm success than grades...if you have high-level experience.

shutterbug

Bronze

Post by shutterbug » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:57 pm

Surprised my TTT school (St. John's) is as high as it is.

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:16 pm

d34dluk3 wrote::D :D :D

Chicago also places evenly with HS in Supreme Court clerkships and academia:

http://leiterrankings.com/new/2011_LawTeachers.shtml

http://www.leiterrankings.com/new/2010_ ... ment.shtml
Please, for the love of god, do not quote to Leiter studies to show that Chicago is on par with HS. The guy's proclivity to produce studies that favor whatever school he is currently at incentivizes him to produce terribly biased studies based on small subsections of available data favoring his school. When the data doesn't favor his argument, he simply doesn't do the study or changes the parameters. For example, check out his ridiculous 2006-only academia study where Chicago beat Stanford. Following this one year where Chicago appears to equal HYS-caliber placement, Leiter subsequently failed to do any similar studies within the past few years of academic hiring once Chicago's placement slipped, and he instead switch it to a 1995+ study. The only reason he has any credence whatsoever in this area is that he's a big name professor at a big name school. For a better look at recent academic hiring, check out:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... a#p4188514

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:18 pm

thecilent wrote:
I hope this doesn't factor into anyone's decision at all. Ever.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:21 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:Please, for the love of god, do not quote to Leiter studies to show that Chicago is on par with HS. The guy's proclivity to produce studies that favor whatever school he is currently at incentivizes him to produce terribly biased studies based on small subsections of available data favoring his school.
As long as he correctly labels the data range, what's the problem? It's the reader's responsibility to draw conclusions.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:24 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:Please, for the love of god, do not quote to Leiter studies to show that Chicago is on par with HS. The guy's proclivity to produce studies that favor whatever school he is currently at incentivizes him to produce terribly biased studies based on small subsections of available data favoring his school.
As long as he correctly labels the data range, what's the problem? It's the reader's responsibility to draw conclusions.
Because it tends to be misleading. Let's not just caveat emptor the obvious bias out of Leiter's studies.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:33 pm

bjsesq wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:
Because it tends to be misleading. Let's not just caveat emptor the obvious bias out of Leiter's studies.
It's only misleading if you think data analysis ought to be spoon-fed to people.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:35 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:
It's only misleading if you think data analysis ought to be spoon-fed to people.
LOLWUT? He didn't say shit about spoon feeding it, son, he called Leiter out on his bias. why u mad?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:49 pm

bjsesq wrote:LOLWUT? He didn't say shit about spoon feeding it, son, he called Leiter out on his bias. why u mad?
A study that correctly labels and presents the data can't be biased, by definition, unless you introduce an external bias. Hence why I said people should stop expecting to be spoon-fed data.

And, yeah, my flat tone definitely says that I'm mad. I don't even know where you got that from.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:51 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:LOLWUT? He didn't say shit about spoon feeding it, son, he called Leiter out on his bias. why u mad?
A study that correctly labels and presents the data can't be biased, by definition, unless you introduce an external bias. Hence why I said people should stop expecting to be spoon-fed data.

And, yeah, my flat tone definitely says that I'm mad. I don't even know where you got that from.
F7u12 wrote:Yeah, you mad

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:53 pm

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:55 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”