To go or not to go to law school that is the question. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What should I do.

Attend Syracuse Law (sticker)
6%
Wait out W&M or Villanova
18%
Continue in Shitty Job at $50k/yr
68%
Kill Self b/c no chance of being successful
8%

Total votes: 50

TNFSkier16

Bronze

To go or not to go to law school that is the question.

Post by TNFSkier16 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:23 am

Hey guys:

Want to see a poll on this.

I applied this cycle to over 10 schools and only got accepted to Syracuse law. I'm waitlisted at William & Mary and Villanova. I'm kinda freaked out by the economy and the return on the investment. I currently make $50K/yr working a job in federal consulting that a monkey could do and I was looking to get a JD/MPA or something and return to the industry at a higher level. No aspirations for BigLaw. Considering Hill work and lobbying as well.

My numbers are 156/3.1. I've taken the LSAT 3 times.

Should I just goto Syracuse and rock out or kill self b/c I hate this job.

ndirish2010

Gold

Re: To go or not to go to law school that is the question.

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:26 am

Continue in shitty job. Don't killself because 50K ain't that bad. Better than you're gonna do from Cuse.

thebookcollector

Bronze

Post by thebookcollector » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:29 am

ndirish2010 wrote:Continue in shitty job. Don't killself because 50K ain't that bad. Better than you're gonna do from Cuse.
As explained in the movie Office Space, most people hate their job. Deal with it. Things probably don't get better as a lawyer: the legal field has one of the highest rates of job dissatisfaction.

You're not going to get a big paying job out of Syracuse, and it'll cost you a fortune, both directly and in lost wages and opportunity.

$50,000 isn't bad. Stay the course.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:32 am

You're in a position many college grads (and JD grads for that matter) would kill to be in, stick with the job for now.
I'd only consider W&M if you get in, the proximity to DC and decent Gov't placement could tie in nicely with your background.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:34 am

NYC Law wrote:You're in a position many college grads (and JD grads for that matter) would kill to be in, stick with the job for now.
I'd only consider W&M if you get in, the proximity to DC and decent Gov't placement could tie in nicely with your background.
But only if less than sticker.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

scammedhard

Silver

Post by scammedhard » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:36 am

ndirish2010 wrote:Continue in shitty job. Don't killself because 50K ain't that bad. Better than you're gonna do from Cuse.
+1.

I bet that a lot of recent Syracuse law grads would kill to have your current job.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:37 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
NYC Law wrote:You're in a position many college grads (and JD grads for that matter) would kill to be in, stick with the job for now.
Sticker at W&M isn't that much (relatively speaking), plus you can try for that cheap resident rate after a year.

TNFSkier16

Bronze

Post by TNFSkier16 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:38 am

NYC Law wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
Sticker at W&M isn't that much (relatively speaking), plus you can try for that cheap resident rate after a year.
I'm in-state and went to W&M undergrad. Would kill to go back.

sonorabay

New

Post by sonorabay » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:40 am

TNFSkier16 wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
is working 1 more year and retaking a 4th time an option? (I am in a remarkably similar position as you are).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:41 am

TNFSkier16 wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
In that case the best course of action here would be to go if you get in (and do whatever possible to get in, visit the campus, see if you can set up an interview, write a nice LOCI/why W&M), but if you don't keep working for a few years and save up money. Get in some solid LSAT prep and try taking the LSAT one more time in a year or two. You'll have money and be in a better position all around than if you just went to Syracuse now.

TNFSkier16

Bronze

Post by TNFSkier16 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:45 am

In that case the best course of action here would be to go if you get in (and do whatever possible to get in, visit the campus, see if you can set up an interview, write a nice LOCI/why W&M), but if you don't keep working for a few years and save up money. Get in some solid LSAT prep and try taking the LSAT one more time in a year or two. You'll have money and be in a better position all around than if you just went to Syracuse now.[/quote]

I've visited campus, submitted (2) LOCI, had someone on the Board of Visitors and someone prestigious in the legal industry I worked for plead my case to the adcoms. Any other ideas to get W&M to accept me?

And can I take the LSAT a fourth time? I thought 3 was it? I took both Testmasters and Kaplan and was scoring around 165 on my practice tests, couldn't do it three times on the real LSAT (156/156/156- literally).

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:48 am

Wow, you did a lot, I'm kinda surprised they haven't let you in yet.

On a side note, getting 3 156s should count for something.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:48 am

TNFSkier16 wrote:
In that case the best course of action here would be to go if you get in (and do whatever possible to get in, visit the campus, see if you can set up an interview, write a nice LOCI/why W&M), but if you don't keep working for a few years and save up money. Get in some solid LSAT prep and try taking the LSAT one more time in a year or two. You'll have money and be in a better position all around than if you just went to Syracuse now.
I've visited campus, submitted (2) LOCI, had someone on the Board of Visitors and someone prestigious in the legal industry I worked for plead my case to the adcoms. Any other ideas to get W&M to accept me?

And can I take the LSAT a fourth time? I thought 3 was it? I took both Testmasters and Kaplan and was scoring around 165 on my practice tests, couldn't do it three times on the real LSAT (156/156/156- literally).
I believe it's just 3 times in two years, so if you wait you can take it again.
Just try practicing more on tests under timed conditions, while you're not at your best (mentally fatigued, tired, whatever) and get to the point you can break 160 on test day.

I don't know anything else you can do at this point with W&M other than getting a higher LSAT.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ford Prefect

Bronze

Post by Ford Prefect » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:49 am

NYC Law wrote: In that case the best course of action here would be to go if you get in (and do whatever possible to get in, visit the campus, see if you can set up an interview, write a nice LOCI/why W&M), but if you don't keep working for a few years and save up money. Get in some solid LSAT prep and try taking the LSAT one more time in a year or two. You'll have money and be in a better position all around than if you just went to Syracuse now.
Definitely scratch Syracuse. I mostly agree with NYC here, although I think you'd be better off long-term passing on law school altogether this year and focus on improving your LSAT and making a push for next year/year after. If you've already made W&M's waitlist with your current numbers, a few more points could absolutely seal the deal.

edit: posted before I saw what you went through for W&M and your test history. I still thinking waiting is the best option, but now I think W&M lets you in, probably a good idea to go.
Last edited by Ford Prefect on Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

sonorabay

New

Post by sonorabay » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:51 am

I think you can also appeal to LSAC or have a school write in that you want to take it a 4th time in 2 years, and they always grant it (from what I understand after reading stuff on this forum). But if it's been more than 2 years, you're in the clear.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:02 am

Do your MPA part time. Forget the JD.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:05 am

Do not go to law school. You are in a decent job right now. You'd essentially be trading 3 years of your life and 6 figures of debt for a similar salary after graduation, if you're lucky. And your odds of being "happier" in law aren't all that high. What about this move sounds at all appealing?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bogart

Bronze

Post by bogart » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:09 am

WM gives you only marginally better employment prospects than cuse. I would scratch both. Maybe retake, but only if you want to be a lawyer. If you are not set on becoming a lawyer than I would agree with the above poster, that you should look into mpa part time. You have your foot in the door now, why not stay?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:10 am

romothesavior wrote:Do not go to law school. You are in a decent job right now. You'd essentially be trading 3 years of your life and 6 figures of debt for a similar salary after graduation, if you're lucky. And your odds of being "happier" in law aren't all that high. What about this move sounds at all appealing?
It's worse than even that. He just wants a JD to help move him up in his career. An MPA will do that, and can be down part time and for a lot less money.

TNFSkier16

Bronze

Post by TNFSkier16 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:12 am

Thanks guys. Have a lot to think bout. Will sleep on this and see how I feel tomorrow. Have some time to make a decision.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:13 am

Desert Fox wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Do not go to law school. You are in a decent job right now. You'd essentially be trading 3 years of your life and 6 figures of debt for a similar salary after graduation, if you're lucky. And your odds of being "happier" in law aren't all that high. What about this move sounds at all appealing?
It's worse than even that. He just wants a JD to help move him up in his career. An MPA will do that, and can be down part time and for a lot less money.
+1. OP, forget about this law school thing. Unless you have a burning desire to be a lawyer (you don't), you shouldn't even be considering it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:21 am

romothesavior wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
+1. OP, forget about this law school thing. Unless you have a burning desire to be a lawyer (you don't), you shouldn't even be considering it.
After re-reading the OP I do agree with this sentiment. Just get a little more work experience and get an MPA.

mebeSajid

Bronze

Post by mebeSajid » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:15 pm

TNFSkier16 wrote:Hey guys:

I applied this cycle to over 10 schools and only got accepted to Syracuse law. I'm waitlisted at William & Mary and Villanova. I'm kinda freaked out by the economy and the return on the investment. I currently make $50K/yr working a job in federal consulting that a monkey could do and I was looking to get a JD/MPA or something and return to the industry at a higher level. No aspirations for BigLaw. Considering Hill work and lobbying as well.

Emphasis mine. MBA, perhaps? How long have you worked, and what kind of consulting work do you do?

TNFSkier16

Bronze

Post by TNFSkier16 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:28 pm

mebeSajid wrote:
TNFSkier16 wrote:Hey guys:

Emphasis mine. MBA, perhaps? How long have you worked, and what kind of consulting work do you do?
4 years. 2 as a paralegal. 2 as a consultant working with project management for a high profile gov't agency dealing with Homeland Security.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:31 pm

Isn't the Maxwell School at Syracuse the top MPA program in the country ? Also, isn't a joint JD/MPA available at Syracuse ?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”