American University at Sticker or Full Ride at Cumberland Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bzsmith

New

American University at Sticker or Full Ride at Cumberland

Post by bzsmith » Mon May 09, 2011 12:22 pm

So I will pay nothing to go to Cumberland Law, and sticker at American. I don't want to practice in DC and would like to stay in the south.

Thoughts?

Jack Smirks

Silver

Re: American University at Sticker or Full Ride at Cumberland

Post by Jack Smirks » Mon May 09, 2011 12:26 pm

What the hell is Cumberland?

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Mon May 09, 2011 12:27 pm

Do NOT Pay sticker at American.

That said, if you can bring your LSAT score up you can probably get scholarships at much better schools than Cumberland.

What are the stipulations on the Cumberland scholarship? If it's guaranteed, it's worth considering. If it has high stipulations, then run away.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Mon May 09, 2011 12:36 pm

naterj wrote:What the hell is Cumberland?
Srsly. OP: retake, reapply and don't waste your money on American, or your time on Cumberland.

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Mon May 09, 2011 12:39 pm

What are the stips on Cumberland's scholly? If you will pay absolutely nothing then maybe it's worth going simply because you should never go to American at sticker.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

adt231

Bronze

Post by adt231 » Mon May 09, 2011 12:40 pm

American U at sticker is not worth it. Not being a lawyer is a better option when compared to that.

I, and apparently others too, have never heard of Cumberland. That means that unless you ALREADY have a job lined up, I would be extremely wary of going unless they give you a living stipend and free health care on top of free tuition and fees.

loblaw

Bronze

Post by loblaw » Mon May 09, 2011 12:57 pm

Do you mean Samford?

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Mon May 09, 2011 1:06 pm

Cumberland is Samford University's law school in Birmingham. It's among the better T3 schools, if such a thing exists, and is the 2nd best law school in Alabama.

If you want to work in Alabama, and accept the likely possibility of Alabama shitlaw, a free (read: no stips) Cumberland degree could certainly be worth it for OP. If there are stips, assume you will lose them. And no one should ever pay a penny for a T3 degree.

Better option, of course, is retake and shoot for no-stips scholarship at a better school.

bzsmith

New

Post by bzsmith » Wed May 11, 2011 10:06 am

duckmoney wrote:Do NOT Pay sticker at American.

That said, if you can bring your LSAT score up you can probably get scholarships at much better schools than Cumberland.

What are the stipulations on the Cumberland scholarship? If it's guaranteed, it's worth considering. If it has high stipulations, then run away.

No stipulations. I'm not interested in practicing outside the south. Alabama, Tennessee or Georgia.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Wed May 11, 2011 10:19 am

bzsmith wrote: No stipulations. I'm not interested in practicing outside the south. Alabama, Tennessee or Georgia.
Between the two, with no stipulations on the scholarship, and your desired region of practice it seems that Cumberland would be the better option.

Be prepared that you may not have a large number of recruiters knocking down your door coming out of law school, so be prepared to work hard/network/hustle to get yourself recognized. But the extra breathing room provided by the full ride should make it easier to focus on what you want to do.

Happy Hunting,

bzsmith

New

Post by bzsmith » Wed May 11, 2011 11:59 am

haus wrote:
bzsmith wrote: No stipulations. I'm not interested in practicing outside the south. Alabama, Tennessee or Georgia.
Between the two, with no stipulations on the scholarship, and your desired region of practice it seems that Cumberland would be the better option.

Be prepared that you may not have a large number of recruiters knocking down your door coming out of law school, so be prepared to work hard/network/hustle to get yourself recognized. But the extra breathing room provided by the full ride should make it easier to focus on what you want to do.

Happy Hunting,

I'm hoping that by hustling and having some connections in the legal world, that some ground will be made up.

Thanks for the advice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”