Penn. State ($$) vs. American (sticker) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Penn. State ($$) vs. American (sticker)

Penn. State
89%
American
11%

Total votes: 19

loveshack

New

Penn. State ($$) vs. American (sticker)

Post by loveshack » Wed May 04, 2011 5:39 pm

Currently have 20K/year offer from Penn. State, and just recently got into American off the waitlist.

I assume most will say Penn. State, since American is ungodly expensive, but I'll put it out there anyway.

Also, 24 hours before the question becomes moot! Thanks a lot American...

mettasutta

Bronze

Re: Penn. State ($$) vs. American (sticker)

Post by mettasutta » Wed May 04, 2011 5:50 pm

Easily Penn State because American is not worth sticker--incredibly crowded market, high tuition, and high of cost of living lead me to conclude this. But you have to be absolutely OK with the idea of living and working in PA (but not so much Philly, as Temple/Villanova/Rutgers-Camden grads have the upper hand there).

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed May 04, 2011 5:54 pm

Penn State is a decent school...plan to live in central PA. It dominates from Lancaster to the East side of Pittsburg.

loveshack

New

Post by loveshack » Wed May 04, 2011 6:00 pm

mettasutta wrote:Easily Penn State because American is not worth sticker--incredibly crowded market, high tuition, and high of cost of living lead me to conclude this. But you have to be absolutely OK with the idea of living and working in PA (but not so much Philly, as Temple/Villanova/Rutgers-Camden grads have the upper hand there).
Personally, I have no qualms about making a living in PA (should I?), at least for a time. This does bring up a good point, however. Should I expect to remain in PA for the foreseeable future? Is there a certain point where, assuming I am doing decently well in my field, I could pick-up and move elsewhere without too much fuss?

dissonance1848

Silver

Post by dissonance1848 » Wed May 04, 2011 6:06 pm

Has to be Penn State. Getting mediocre legal job with little debt >>>>>>>>>>>>> shitlaw huge debt.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed May 04, 2011 6:09 pm

loveshack wrote:
mettasutta wrote:Easily Penn State because American is not worth sticker--incredibly crowded market, high tuition, and high of cost of living lead me to conclude this. But you have to be absolutely OK with the idea of living and working in PA (but not so much Philly, as Temple/Villanova/Rutgers-Camden grads have the upper hand there).
Personally, I have no qualms about making a living in PA (should I?), at least for a time. This does bring up a good point, however. Should I expect to remain in PA for the foreseeable future? Is there a certain point where, assuming I am doing decently well in my field, I could pick-up and move elsewhere without too much fuss?
I'm actually from central PA and my dad is a lawyer there (small real estate). It's not a bad place to live, COL isn't super high. There are a ton of Widener grads around so expect to hustle for jobs but there's a decent amount of work in the area. Lots of industry, etc.

I'd guess foreseeable future. The problem is, while you may gain experience your contacts will be local. So, moving means starting all back over again.

loveshack

New

Post by loveshack » Thu May 05, 2011 4:28 pm

Any last comments before American slips through the cracks?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”