OSU vs. ? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jslom958

New

OSU vs. ?

Post by jslom958 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:50 pm

Here's my situation:

3.9 GPA, 164 on the LSAT. I studied for about 5 months and had a PT average close to my actual score. I was accepted to OSU, Case Western, BU, and ND. I received zero aid from BU and ND, 90k (total) from Case, and 42k (total) from OSU. I almost didn't apply because I've become more and more interested in finance (my major) even though I've been planning on law school since high school.

I hesitantly sent a deposit to OSU. I feel like there isn't really a different choice. I don't have great job prospects. Instead of an internship, I studied for the LSAT and took a decent paying summer job. My school does little/no on campus interviewing, and the alumni network is not strong. I will be graduating in the top 5% of my class, and I feel like I can work at a high potential, whether that is in an academic or corporate environment. I don't know if I should just hustle my way into a respectable career and then get an MBA or go to law school and be happy that I've been given that opportunity. To confuse things further, I've been researching international relations graduate programs and feel as though I could truly thrive in such a field (I initially entered undergrad as an IR/political science major).

Has anyone been in a similar circumstance? Any words of wisdom out there? Thank you.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Re: OSU vs. ?

Post by JamMasterJ » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:56 pm

Work a year, retake the LSAT and try the foreing service exam. If you pick up three points ND and BU will be all over you, and if you find that you like working or get a shot at something IR related, then you just saved a hundred grand

baboon309

Bronze

Post by baboon309 » Sun May 01, 2011 7:25 pm

jslom958 wrote:Here's my situation:

3.9 GPA, 164 on the LSAT. I studied for about 5 months and had a PT average close to my actual score. I was accepted to OSU, Case Western, BU, and ND. I received zero aid from BU and ND, 90k (total) from Case, and 42k (total) from OSU. I almost didn't apply because I've become more and more interested in finance (my major) even though I've been planning on law school since high school.

I hesitantly sent a deposit to OSU. I feel like there isn't really a different choice. I don't have great job prospects. Instead of an internship, I studied for the LSAT and took a decent paying summer job. My school does little/no on campus interviewing, and the alumni network is not strong. I will be graduating in the top 5% of my class, and I feel like I can work at a high potential, whether that is in an academic or corporate environment. I don't know if I should just hustle my way into a respectable career and then get an MBA or go to law school and be happy that I've been given that opportunity. To confuse things further, I've been researching international relations graduate programs and feel as though I could truly thrive in such a field (I initially entered undergrad as an IR/political science major).

Has anyone been in a similar circumstance? Any words of wisdom out there? Thank you.
Go take GRE, and apply for Master degrees in Ivy legaue schools. It doesnt have to be a popular field, There are some shitty master programs in Columbia or Dartmouth. From there, you will have access to a lot of Investment banks/Consulting firms. THey constantly hire Master students from Ivy shcools. You will be hired as analyst though.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sun May 01, 2011 7:41 pm

baboon309 wrote:

I hesitantly sent a deposit to OSU. I feel like there isn't really a different choice. I don't have great job prospects. Instead of an internship, I studied for the LSAT and took a decent paying summer job. My school does little/no on campus interviewing, and the alumni network is not strong. I will be graduating in the top 5% of my class, and I feel like I can work at a high potential, whether that is in an academic or corporate environment. I don't know if I should just hustle my way into a respectable career and then get an MBA or go to law school and be happy that I've been given that opportunity. To confuse things further, I've been researching international relations graduate programs and feel as though I could truly thrive in such a field (I initially entered undergrad as an IR/political science major).Has anyone been in a similar circumstance? Any words of wisdom out there? Thank you.
Go take GRE, and apply for Master degrees in Ivy legaue schools. It doesnt have to be a popular field, There are some shitty master programs in Columbia or Dartmouth. From there, you will have access to a lot of Investment banks/Consulting firms. THey constantly hire Master students from Ivy shcools. You will be hired as analyst though.
LOL

dooood

Bronze

Post by dooood » Sun May 01, 2011 7:50 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:Work a year, retake the LSAT and try the foreing service exam. If you pick up three points ND and BU will be all over you, and if you find that you like working or get a shot at something IR related, then you just saved a hundred grand
This is terrible advice. Although the written portion of the foreign service exam has become easier in recent years, 5% of the people who take the initial written part make it through the entire process. Unless you 110% want to work for the State Dept. abroad/eventually want to work your way up the diplomatic food chain (which is brutal), do NOT take the foreign service exam.
OP, you sound way more interested in finance, so pursue that. The idea about applying to Ivy master's programs is a good one, as banks recruit from these programs simultaneously with the undergrads (and with your great GPA it should be feasible). Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Sun May 01, 2011 8:55 pm

wait a year ED to UVA, you have a great chance of getting in. Enjoy charlottesville you lucky bastard...

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Mon May 02, 2011 1:35 am

baboon309 wrote:

flame?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon May 02, 2011 2:02 am

I was mostly telling the OP to retake the LSAT to get better schools/more money from the schools he has. The FSE was more of a "why not" thing. I know that most people fail it but if he has nothing better to do with a year, it can't really hurt to do something like that
The bolded is my serious advice

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”