Suffolk v Pace Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
logicgamesbrah

New

Suffolk v Pace

Post by logicgamesbrah » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:25 pm

I'd would like to do tax or securities law, or something related in those fields. The biggest difference is if I went to pace I could live at home which would save me about 10,000 each year. Each school offered me a similar scholar 10 a year at suffolk v 15 at pace provided I stay within top 30%. My main concern is employment and from my reading I'm leaning towards suffolk.

mrtoren

Silver

Re: Suffolk v Pace

Post by mrtoren » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:04 pm

Its tough to recommend either because the law school market is so saturated in both states. Honestly, I would look at schools in states that have less competition or go to the school with the lowest COA in case you end up unemployed after graduation.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:06 pm

2 schools in saturated markets with terrible employment prospects with terrible stipulations on your scholarships = retake or don't go.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:52 pm

Suffolk cause you get to be taught by Glannon and thats pretty much amazing.

In all seriousness though, unless fullrides are in the conversation I wouldn't go to either of these because of the horrible job prospects.

logicgamesbrah

New

Post by logicgamesbrah » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:03 pm

Interesting to hear the responses. I don't feel like I'm taking too much of a risk because if I do really well at the school, then I will keep my scholarship and most likely get a job. If not, I could drop out after one year and not be in debt (I have been saving up money). I mean I know you guys are saying the markets are overcrowded which I agree with but if I do really well at the school, I'm talking top 10%, are you saying I might still struggle to find a job? I was under the assumption that as long as you did well wherever you went you could find employment.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:56 am

logicgamesbrah wrote:Interesting to hear the responses. I don't feel like I'm taking too much of a risk because if I do really well at the school, then I will keep my scholarship and most likely get a job. If not, I could drop out after one year and not be in debt (I have been saving up money). I mean I know you guys are saying the markets are overcrowded which I agree with but if I do really well at the school, I'm talking top 10%, are you saying I might still struggle to find a job? I was under the assumption that as long as you did well wherever you went you could find employment.
The problem is that only 1 in 10 make that top 10%. Those aren't very good odds and definitely not at the price you will be incurring. Suffolk seems to place fairly well in government, and Pace may do the same as well, however, private firms laugh them off to some extent. They're simply not competitive for jobs commanding the salary needed to pay them off. If you were going government, I wouldn't hesitate too much to recommend them. IBR and the Public Service Repayment program will keep the loans manageable for 10 years and abolish them after that. IBR for the private sector is 25 years and then you have to claim the remaining balance as taxable income. Not a good situation.

I'm not saying you have to give up on law school, but you need to look at other states or reconsider your desired field of law.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:51 am

logicgamesbrah wrote:I'd would like to do tax or securities law, or something related in those fields. The biggest difference is if I went to pace I could live at home which would save me about 10,000 each year. Each school offered me a similar scholar 10 a year at suffolk v 15 at pace provided I stay within top 30%. My main concern is employment and from my reading I'm leaning towards suffolk.

You can go if you like, but you are almost certainly not going to become a tax or a securities lawyer having attended either school. General litigation and the like, maybe, but not tax or securities.

ndirish2014

New

Post by ndirish2014 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:58 am

I've lived in New York and around the Boston area and if these are your only choices i'd pick Suffolk and i don't think it's even close. I'm not a fan of either school but Suffolk has a surprisingly good rep in NE.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:31 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
logicgamesbrah wrote:I'd would like to do tax or securities law, or something related in those fields. The biggest difference is if I went to pace I could live at home which would save me about 10,000 each year. Each school offered me a similar scholar 10 a year at suffolk v 15 at pace provided I stay within top 30%. My main concern is employment and from my reading I'm leaning towards suffolk.

You can go if you like, but you are almost certainly not going to become a tax or a securities lawyer having attended either school. General litigation and the like, maybe, but not tax or securities.
Where is the fire, RM? You've gone soft.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:51 pm

rad law wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:

Yeah, I expected a thrashing.

david787

Bronze

Post by david787 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:04 pm

logicgamesbrah wrote:because if I do really well at the school, then I will keep my scholarship and most likely get a job.
The problem is the vast majority of your classmates will have the same plan, and will most likely have a similar ability level to you.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:08 pm

rad law wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:

Just a busy day Rad... Don't worry, it still burns strong; I promise.

logicgamesbrah

New

Post by logicgamesbrah » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:25 pm

Appreciate all of the feedback. I am still considering all options i.e. possibly reapplying or not attending law school. From this topic it appears suffolk seems to have a better rep than Pace?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”