Penn or UVA? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
LSN2014

New

Penn or UVA?

Post by LSN2014 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:13 pm

This is a question for students who decided between Penn and UVA. I am torn between the two schools, and I was wondering if you could speak about how you made your decision, important differences, any regrets, etc.

Thanks.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Re: Penn or UVA?

Post by yngblkgifted » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:33 pm

UVA gave me more money, so I decided on UVA.

They are both excellent schools, and I enjoyed the people at both.

I think it really comes down to money and/or whether or not you can see your self in an urban environment or a semi-rural/suburban (whatever the hell UVA is classified as) environment.

Me personally, I was not a fan of Philadelphia for various reasons.S o that made my choice even easier regardless of the money.

Warning: I'm a 0L so I don't have any regrets, but I do not see any in the future. I have made peace with my choice.

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:35 pm

These two schools are peers - don't be fooled by UVa's lower ranking; plenty of people choose UVa over Penn without $.

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:37 pm

What are your career goals and where exactly do you want to practice? All things being equal, they are peer schools.

alirod12

Bronze

Post by alirod12 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:38 pm

UVA gave me more money, and Penn wouldn't fully match.

I would have gone to Penn if they matched. But now that I'm at UVA, I'm SO happy that Penn didn't match.

FWIW, I was totally apprehensive about being in Charlottesville, esp. because I'm from a city, but it grows on you. A lot.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:33 pm

alirod12 wrote:UVA gave me more money, and Penn wouldn't fully match.

I would have gone to Penn if they matched. But now that I'm at UVA, I'm SO happy that Penn didn't match.

FWIW, I was totally apprehensive about being in Charlottesville, esp. because I'm from a city, but it grows on you. A lot.
I hope to be like this guy/girl in 12 months!

LAWLAW09

Bronze

Post by LAWLAW09 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:38 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:

Why b/c you're going to Berk? :lol:

c_dubya_s

Silver

Post by c_dubya_s » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:14 pm

alirod12 wrote:FWIW, I was totally apprehensive about being in Charlottesville, esp. because I'm from a city, but it grows on you. A lot.
This is my one big hangup about going to UVA. I'm deciding between the two, and UVA is offering more $$$, but I'm from DC and (quite frankly) worried that I won't like living in a more rural environment. Is there enough to do in Charlottesville? And is it better to not have a lot of the distractions of a big city while you're going through law school?

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:31 pm

LAWLAW09 wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:

Why b/c you're going to Berk? :lol:
Gonna make one more trip to C-ville before I commit! I'll keep you posted.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LAWLAW09

Bronze

Post by LAWLAW09 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:38 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
Gonna make one more trip to C-ville before I commit! I'll keep you posted.

lol. cool. good luck (experiencing something that makes the decision easier).

LSN2014

New

Post by LSN2014 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:45 pm

I am interested in big law in Boston after graduation. Do you know how well each school places there?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:46 pm

LSN2014 wrote:I am interested in big law in Boston after graduation. Do you know how well each school places there?
I'd hazard that the difference between the two regarding Boston is marginal.

alirod12

Bronze

Post by alirod12 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:48 pm

c_dubya_s wrote:
alirod12 wrote:FWIW, I was totally apprehensive about being in Charlottesville, esp. because I'm from a city, but it grows on you. A lot.
This is my one big hangup about going to UVA. I'm deciding between the two, and UVA is offering more $$$, but I'm from DC and (quite frankly) worried that I won't like living in a more rural environment. Is there enough to do in Charlottesville? And is it better to not have a lot of the distractions of a big city while you're going through law school?
There is a shit ton of stuff to keep you busy. No joke. And regardless, you won't have much spare time your first year.

That being said, I'm from Miami and lived in Aspen for the past 4 years, so I have high standards. C-Ville meets most of them (one that they don't meet, for instance, is sushi). Feel free to ask more info.

Also, I'm a 1L.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:51 pm

c_dubya_s wrote:This is my one big hangup about going to UVA. I'm deciding between the two, and UVA is offering more $$$, but I'm from DC and (quite frankly) worried that I won't like living in a more rural environment. Is there enough to do in Charlottesville? And is it better to not have a lot of the distractions of a big city while you're going through law school?
College towns are not rural...

c_dubya_s

Silver

Post by c_dubya_s » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:04 pm

bk187 wrote:
c_dubya_s wrote:This is my one big hangup about going to UVA. I'm deciding between the two, and UVA is offering more $$$, but I'm from DC and (quite frankly) worried that I won't like living in a more rural environment. Is there enough to do in Charlottesville? And is it better to not have a lot of the distractions of a big city while you're going through law school?
College towns are not rural...
Sorry--I didn't mean to offend anyone in Charlottesville (which I think is an amazing place, BTW). I did say "more rural" in relation to DC, so I wasn't trying to imply that Charlottesville's rural--just that it's more "rural" than DC.

Edit: That was quite an underwhelming 500th post. Darn it.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:06 pm

c_dubya_s wrote:Sorry--I didn't mean to offend anyone in Charlottesville (which I think is an amazing place, BTW). I did say "more rural" in relation to DC, so I wasn't trying to imply that Charlottesville's rural--just that it's more "rural" than DC.
I wasn't offended. I was just getting at what your vision of a college town was like and wanted to dispel any notions that they are lifeless.

Are you the kind of person who needs to see concerts/sports/plays/etc or go to clubs every week or so? Then yeah a college town might not cut it for you. But if you are fine with hanging out with friends while grabbing a few drinks or other low-key activities, then you will be just fine.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”