Emory with $ or UNC in state? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Emory or UNC?

Emory
48%
UNC
52%

Total votes: 25

alantalegalasst

New

Emory with $ or UNC in state?

Post by alantalegalasst » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:58 pm

I have $15k per year at Emory and in-state at UNC. I don't want to practice in NC and I went to UNC for undergrad as well. I don't want a firm job so less debt of UNC is great, but outside of NC Emory has a better known name. Thoughts?

ballpop

Bronze

Re: Emory with $ or UNC in state?

Post by ballpop » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:58 pm

What's the difference on cost of attendance?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:59 pm

If you don't want to work in NC go to Emory. That being said, Emory estimates that their full CoA is $210k for 3 years, so even after a $45k scholarship, I really don't see Emory as being worth paying $165k.

alantalegalasst

New

Post by alantalegalasst » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:01 pm

UNC would be 16k a year, Emory would be 29k

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:03 pm

alantalegalasst wrote:UNC would be 16k a year, Emory would be 29k
You're not factoring in cost of living and other fees (which I am assuming you will have to take out loans to pay for).

UNC will cost you $110k over 3 years. Emory will be $165k over three years.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:07 pm

I second bk. If you don't want to work in NC DO NOT go to UNC. I also don't think Emory is worth that COA unless you had a higher scholly. Do you have any other options? Would you be willing to retake/reapply?

forty-two

Bronze

Post by forty-two » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:05 pm

bk187 wrote:
alantalegalasst wrote:UNC would be 16k a year, Emory would be 29k
You're not factoring in cost of living and other fees (which I am assuming you will have to take out loans to pay for).

UNC will cost you $110k over 3 years. Emory will be $165k over three years.
I just wanted to say that Emory shouldn't cost you this much money. The COA estimates are very inflated so that people can take out more money if they need to. While the people who live in nice, new one bedroom apartments right near campus who like to eat out a lot spend that much, most people don't. A friend of mine pays $275 to share a house with other grad students a few miles away from campus, and I pay $580 to share a 2br/2bath apartment that's super close. It's actually pretty cheap to live here. Emory will still cost you more than 110k though, so that is something to consider.

ladybuglove

New

Post by ladybuglove » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:45 pm

I would go to UNC because it will be a lot cheaper (tuition and COL) and because it has a good reputation even outside the state of NC.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:47 pm

forty-two wrote:I just wanted to say that Emory shouldn't cost you this much money. The COA estimates are very inflated so that people can take out more money if they need to. While the people who live in nice, new one bedroom apartments right near campus who like to eat out a lot spend that much, most people don't. A friend of mine pays $275 to share a house with other grad students a few miles away from campus, and I pay $580 to share a 2br/2bath apartment that's super close. It's actually pretty cheap to live here. Emory will still cost you more than 110k though, so that is something to consider.
This is a fair assessment and I agree that Emory's CoL estimates seem absurd. That being said, I still think one shouldn't pay much more than $100k for Emory and it is definitely going to be significantly north of that figure for OP to go there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:47 pm

UNC.

IhateFoxHunting

New

Post by IhateFoxHunting » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:50 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:UNC.
+1

forty-two

Bronze

Post by forty-two » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:04 pm

bk187 wrote:
forty-two wrote:I just wanted to say that Emory shouldn't cost you this much money. The COA estimates are very inflated so that people can take out more money if they need to. While the people who live in nice, new one bedroom apartments right near campus who like to eat out a lot spend that much, most people don't. A friend of mine pays $275 to share a house with other grad students a few miles away from campus, and I pay $580 to share a 2br/2bath apartment that's super close. It's actually pretty cheap to live here. Emory will still cost you more than 110k though, so that is something to consider.
This is a fair assessment and I agree that Emory's CoL estimates seem absurd. That being said, I still think one shouldn't pay much more than $100k for Emory and it is definitely going to be significantly north of that figure for OP to go there.
Oh definitely, debt is a huge deal and I'd totally understand going to UNC for less money. I just didn't want people to think it's crazy expensive to live here or anything.

Edit: OP, I'd be happy to answer questions about Emory if you have any.

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:20 pm

alantalegalasst wrote:I don't want to practice in NC
Why are people saying UNC (even if it's the less expensive option)?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:25 pm

krad wrote:
Cause people are ignoring OP's preferences.

I think retake/reapply (if possible) is the best idea here since NC isn't where OP wants to be and Emory with this kind of scholly is too rich for my blood.

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:35 pm

bk187 wrote:
krad wrote:
Cause people are ignoring OP's preferences.

I think retake/reapply (if possible) is the best idea here since NC isn't where OP wants to be and Emory with this kind of scholly is too rich for my blood.
UNC actually has a decent enough name down in Atlanta as well. I know several UNC law grads down here in Atlanta who are doing well. If you're not focused on big law, UNC might work out for you. If you reeeaaaalllyyy hate NC, I would recommend going to a school in the region you would like to work in (if there are any other options) or re-taking.

If you do reasonably well at UNC I could easily see you gaining employment in the Southeast. Anywhere else is going to be pretty difficult.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:39 pm

egirarde wrote:UNC actually has a decent enough name down in Atlanta as well. I know several UNC law grads down here in Atlanta who are doing well. If you're not focused on big law, UNC might work out for you. If you reeeaaaalllyyy hate NC, I would recommend going to a school in the region you would like to work in (if there are any other options) or re-taking.

If you do reasonably well at UNC I could easily see you gaining employment in the Southeast. Anywhere else is going to be pretty difficult.
I'm not saying it is impossible to get out of NC from UNC, but there is such a large chance that you will end up there that it doesn't make sense for somebody who absolutely does not want to work there.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:26 pm

I can't believe you were in Chapel Hill for four years and you don't like it. I'd still go to UNC, but it's close.

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:39 pm

Despite U.S. News ranking, UNC has a reputation that is at least as good as Emory's. I don't know why anyone would pay tens of thousands more to go to Emory, especially since its students are having a hard time finding jobs even in Atlanta.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”