CCN or CC.......N? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Re: CCN or CC.......N?

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:04 pm

Desert Fox wrote: LOL I thought you were. NOw you can suck my dick real friendly like though.
Okay but only as long as it's in like the platonic sense.

BrightLine

Bronze

Post by BrightLine » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:07 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
Desert Fox wrote: LOL I thought you were. NOw you can suck my dick real friendly like though.

When I started the thread, the odds of that exchange were worse than VCU making the final 4.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:08 pm

BrightLine wrote:

When I started the thread, the odds of that exchange were worse than VCU making the final 4.
This is TLS. The odds of that exchange were at least 10%

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:24 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
BrightLine wrote:

This is TLS. The odds of that exchange were at least 10%
Yeah I'd have said it was pretty high. This topic is ripe for trolling.

TheStrand

Bronze

Post by TheStrand » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:01 am

BruceWayne wrote: Try getting a job at the DOJ from CCN vs. HYS. It's a HUGE difference.
No

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:21 am

TheStrand wrote:
BruceWayne wrote: Try getting a job at the DOJ from CCN vs. HYS. It's a HUGE difference.
No
I know a number of DOJ Honors hires from last year who did not go to HYS, in fact I don't know any who did (maybe there is an HYS social clique? have to ask my friends).

alexonfyre

Bronze

Post by alexonfyre » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:24 am

bdubs wrote:
TheStrand wrote:
No
I know a number of DOJ Honors hires from last year who did not go to HYS, in fact I don't know any who did (maybe there is an HYS social clique? have to ask my friends).
HYS is definitely represented, but there are over 50 schools who got kids into DOJ honors last year.

mcweanis

Bronze

Post by mcweanis » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:54 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
alexonfyre wrote:
ahduth wrote:
GeePee wrote:Only two things on TLS are certain:

1. Every month or so, someone will post a new thread about NYU being worse than Columbia and Chicago.
2. You will obviously know when such a thread exists because BruceWayne bumps it with the exact same response every time.
What I would like to know is why BruceWayne thinks it's so important that you be able to place into firms where NYU isn't recognized as a top institution. If they don't realize it's ranked as one of the top institutions faculty-wise, and is one of the most competitive schools to get into... are these people you want to work for?
Who in the United States doesn't think that NYU is a top tier school? Seriously, I haven't met them if they exist. I can understand people not realizing how good and competitive places like Michigan or perhaps UVA are, but even then only outside of law circles. As far as I know, NYU is seen as a top tier school for just about anything by the population at-large.
Was BW seriously implying that NYU is not recognized somewhere?
Um, I think it's a stretch to call NYU undergrad "prestigious".

agreed - its number 33 on usnews, way below all the other t14 - in fact, NYU is the lowest ranked undergrad out of the t14. that is probably why there is less lay prestige, especilaly for people who have only a undergrad degree.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:33 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
BrightLine wrote:I always thought that NYU was a notch below the Columbia and Chicago (especially once US news switched Chicago and NYU last year). But people here seem to group them together.

Thoughts?
1. Does it matter?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BrightLine

Bronze

Post by BrightLine » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:43 pm

Bosque wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
BrightLine wrote:I always thought that NYU was a notch below the Columbia and Chicago (especially once US news switched Chicago and NYU last year). But people here seem to group them together.

Thoughts?
1. Does it matter?

Yes.

Upton Sinclair

Bronze

Post by Upton Sinclair » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:59 pm

BrightLine wrote:
Bosque wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:

Thoughts?
1. Does it matter?

Yes.
Not in your situation. Take the 150k at NU and be happy for god's sake. Fuck these other two at sticker.

/thread (unless we want to keep making gay jokes. In which case, carry on. I approve).

BrightLine

Bronze

Post by BrightLine » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:49 pm

Upton Sinclair wrote:
Not in your situation. Take the 150k at NU and be happy for god's sake. Fuck these other two at sticker.

/thread (unless we want to keep making gay jokes. In which case, carry on. I approve).

Correct, If its 150 vs sticker then I really have no decision to make.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:24 pm

bdubs wrote:
TheStrand wrote:
No
High ranking DOJ Crim official came to my top 10 and specifically said that they mostly hire from HYS. Really it's pretty common knowledge that HYS dominates DOJ.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:39 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
bdubs wrote:
TheStrand wrote:
No
High ranking DOJ Crim official came to my top 10 and specifically said that they mostly hire from HYS. Really it's pretty common knowledge that HYS dominates DOJ.
Unless I have met a highly unrepresentative sample (through various channels) that is just not true. I don't know anyone in criminal division, but I have met 10% or more of the Washington DC based honors class.

I'm sure HYS is in the mix of the ~160 students who get DOJ but judging by the length of the list of schools represented in the program it just can't be that the majority of students are coming from those three schools.

alexonfyre

Bronze

Post by alexonfyre » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:03 pm

bdubs wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
bdubs wrote:
TheStrand wrote: No
Unless I have met a highly unrepresentative sample (through various channels) that is just not true. I don't know anyone in criminal division, but I have met 10% or more of the Washington DC based honors class.

I'm sure HYS is in the mix of the ~160 students who get DOJ but judging by the length of the list of schools represented in the program it just can't be that the majority of students are coming from those three schools.
How would you feel if it were:

HYS: 30%
Everyone else: 70%

Still not a majority?

TheStrand

Bronze

Post by TheStrand » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:33 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
bdubs wrote:
TheStrand wrote:
No
The largest market for Yale and Harvard is NY. If HYS are dominating and the other schools are trailing, then presumably the most prestigious NY DOJ offices would have massive amounts of HYS. If you had 10 minutes to look at the photo directory, you would know: it's simply not true. And to say that there is a "HUGE" difference in trying to get DOJ from CCN versus HYS or that "it's pretty common knowledge that HYS dominates DOJ" is ludicrous.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:44 pm

alexonfyre wrote: How would you feel if it were:

Still not a majority?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plurality_(voting)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

redsoxfan2495

Bronze

Post by redsoxfan2495 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:16 pm

Lay prestige is very regional. I live in New England and to most people around here the University of Chicago sounds like a community college. Most have never heard of Caltech. They were all pretty impressed when I said I got into Columbia though. I think the only schools with truly nationwide lay prestige are Harvard, Yale, Princeton and Stanford. I'm tempted to add MIT, but I need confirmation from someone who lives way out west.

Also, I find it odd that Columbia fails at lay prestige outside the northeast. It outranks Stanford, MIT, Caltech etc. in US News. I wonder what other factors affect lay prestige...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:18 pm

redsoxfan2495 wrote:Lay prestige is very regional. I live in New England and to most people around here the University of Chicago sounds like a community college. Most have never heard of Caltech. They were all pretty impressed when I said I got into Columbia though. I think the only schools with truly nationwide lay prestige are Harvard, Yale, Princeton and Stanford. I'm tempted to add MIT, but I need confirmation from someone who lives way out west.

Also, I find it odd that Columbia fails at lay prestige outside the northeast. It outranks Stanford, MIT, Caltech etc. in US News. I wonder what other factors affect lay prestige...
Nobody knows about US NEWs rankings other than tiger moms, and gunner 17 year olds.

It's mostly regional bias, hollywood, and football/basketball.

alexonfyre

Bronze

Post by alexonfyre » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:20 pm

sundance95 wrote:

Still not a majority?
Okay sundance, you won an argument on the internet, go let your mom know and she will give you a cookie.

Despite my semantics, the point still stands.

alexonfyre

Bronze

Post by alexonfyre » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:21 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
redsoxfan2495 wrote:Lay prestige is very regional. I live in New England and to most people around here the University of Chicago sounds like a community college. Most have never heard of Caltech. They were all pretty impressed when I said I got into Columbia though. I think the only schools with truly nationwide lay prestige are Harvard, Yale, Princeton and Stanford. I'm tempted to add MIT, but I need confirmation from someone who lives way out west.

Nobody knows about US NEWs rankings other than tiger moms, and gunner 17 year olds.

It's mostly regional bias, hollywood, and football/basketball.
Every hollywood character has a whatever degree from MIT and Harvard business/law/medical school. Which puts those two school's lay prestige through the roof, one for science, one for everything else.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:39 pm

Another TLS debate on lay prestige?? YES, JUST WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR.

Also, lol @ BruceWayne. I don't know if what you're arguing is true (I didn't have CCN numbers, so I didn't bother doing the research), but I love watching you get all flustered whenever anyone mentions NYU. It's much more entertaining than network TV, anyway.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:09 am

sundance95 wrote:

Still not a majority?
alexonfyre wrote:Okay sundance, you won an argument on the internet, go let your mom know and she will give you a cookie.

Despite my semantics, the point still stands.
Does it?

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:10 am

Columbia isn't on TV so white people don't know it, and their engineering school sucks so browns and asians don't know it.

Harvard = every doctor/big lawyer on TV
Yale = Clinton, Bushes
MIT = every movie with a scientist (eg: Armageddon), 21
Stanford = Google, Chuck, Saved by the Bell

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:23 am

rayiner wrote:

Columbia isn't on TV so white people don't know it, and their engineering school sucks so browns and asians don't know it.

Harvard = every doctor/big lawyer on TV
Yale = Clinton, Bushes
MIT = every movie with a scientist (eg: Armageddon), 21
Stanford = Google, Chuck, Saved by the Bell
Uhhh Columbia is all over Gossip Girl. And Spiderman.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”