. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

New

Re: Duke vs Michigan vs UVA

Post by 5782 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:32 pm

Zeus wrote:This poll and the associated comments tend to make me believe TLS users do nothing more than refer to USNWR most recent rankings and formulate an opinion 100% based on that. Do people really think that Michigan's stock has significantly risen simply because it is now #7 on this years list?

There are plenty of other reasons to choose a law school besides USNWR. That said, all these are good choices. I wouldn't let rankings factor in at all, the difference between 7, 9, and 11 are inconsequential when you see the actual scores the schools received from the USNWR.

+1

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:41 pm

If you want DC, I think UVA would be the way to go. Regardless, I think visiting all three of them is probably the best bet. Michigan is going to have a pretty different feel than UVA, and I assume Duke too.

jcunni5

Bronze

Post by jcunni5 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:42 pm

5782 wrote:
Zeus wrote:This poll and the associated comments tend to make me believe TLS users do nothing more than refer to USNWR most recent rankings and formulate an opinion 100% based on that. Do people really think that Michigan's stock has significantly risen simply because it is now #7 on this years list?

There are plenty of other reasons to choose a law school besides USNWR. That said, all these are good choices. I wouldn't let rankings factor in at all, the difference between 7, 9, and 11 are inconsequential when you see the actual scores the schools received from the USNWR.

+1
+2 these schools are pretty equal u need to probably base this on feel/COL/ location you like best

but UVA > UM, Duke for DC

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:05 pm

jcunni5 wrote:
5782 wrote:

+1
+2 these schools are pretty equal u need to probably base this on feel/COL/ location you like best

but UVA > UM, Duke for DC
No they're not! Michigan is way better than UVA! :roll:

théo

New

Post by théo » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:28 am

Miracle wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:
théo wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:This is a ranking of world wide reputation of universities. Might matter for the international aspect but probably not.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/w ... kings.html

Also, I think you might want to think about whether you would rather work in Chicago or the South more just in case you change your mind.
I've been living in Paris for the past three years, and you would be surprised at the international reputation of U.S. schools abroad. I assure you that none of the three schools in your poll have any name recognition here. People are obsessed with 1. Harvard 2. Berkeley 3. anything located in New York City or with "New York" in the name.

It's sort of like how Americans think the Sorbonne is the best school ever in France, but it has the reputation of Random State School here. :|
By this logic, NYLS would be a top school. Even the French aren't that stupid.
+1 that statement just doesn't make sense.
YES. My point is that it doesn't make sense.

There's a general assumption that good schools must be located in major cities. I once read an article in a national newspaper that was talking about some researcher from "Yale University (New York, NY)". I thought about writing in to correct such a major error, but I didn't care enough.

I truly don't understand the French obsession with Berkeley, but I have a friend who did UG at Berkeley and people were always like "wow, Berkeley, you must be really smart!" when they met him. No one ever fawned over me like that, and I used to think my UG (UChicago) had decent international recognition.

All anecdotal evidence, I know, but all I'm trying to say is that reputation outside the U.S. is unpredictable.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”