LOR problems for non-traditional student Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
johnnysweet

New

LOR problems for non-traditional student

Post by johnnysweet » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:39 pm

I'm 30 I graduated poli sci gpa from esu in 2004. My cumulative gpa is 2.76 i had a 3.05 at esu, but before that I got my associates at community college with a 2.5. I took the LSAT my senior year and got 150. The score expired last year and I retook it 6/7/10 and got 157.
I work as a parking meter technician for the city right now making about 30-35k. My problem is that scandal erupted in my work place and my boss got fired the day after I gave him the forms to write my LOR. I recieved a letter from my former supervisor, but the former director kept saying he would write it, now the deadlines are here and I'm SOL.
I've been working part time at a tax service in the evenings. Should I have my lead preparer write it?
Also, I live in PA and want to stay somewhat in the NY-PHIL area what schools are my best options?

StacyStrong

New

Re: LOR problems for non-traditional student

Post by StacyStrong » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:41 am

wait until next year

johnnysweet

New

Post by johnnysweet » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:47 pm

A couple of people have told me that, but can't I just start at a T3/T4 and try to transfer up. Ive already put so much time and energy into making this happen now. The company I work for is in the midst of a major scandal (of which I had nothing to do with obviously, although the guy who hired me has recently been canned and the mayor is talking about layoffs/cleaning house) and is basically imploding. Everyone is at eachother's throats, and for me I think the best bet would be to get the hell out of Dodge.

RockyIII

Bronze

Post by RockyIII » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:49 pm

Do not go to a school if you don't plan on graduating from that school. If transferring from a TTT to higher was easy then everyone would do it.

ams

New

Post by ams » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:26 pm

Sorry to hear about your bad work situation, but the other posters are right. It would be a lot worse to be making the same amount of money 3 years from now and also have 100k plus in debt. Apply next cycle. Use the time to re-take and raise your LSAT to help offset your lower GPA, to give yourself a decent shot at a T2 school. That will also give you time to sort out the letter situation and then apply the first day applications open.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:30 pm

At your age, LSAT and WE are by far the most important factors. The farther away a GPA is, the less important it becomes, making adcomms lean much harder on your LSAT to determine your academic potential. It is also important to show that you have been doing something with the time off and if it seems like your reccomender doesn't know you (which will likely be the case with a part-time new employer/super), it might not be a beneficial letter. People in your range have a very strong chance at bumping their scores up and it is one of those score ranges where a 157 means a low T2, but a slightly higher score could really open up your options.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:37 pm

jdfrisby wrote:At your age, LSAT and WE are by far the most important factors. The farther away a GPA is, the less important it becomes, making adcomms lean much harder on your LSAT to determine your academic potential.
Not true. Learned this first hand. It is VERY difficult to overcome a sub3.0 GPA no matter how much work experience you have :(. OP, you need to re-take until you get a 164-165 and then go to Temple PT.

johnnysweet

New

Post by johnnysweet » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:10 pm

First off, thank you all very much for your input :) This site is AWESOME!!!!!!
But if my scores are averaged I would need a score above 170 to bring my average even close to 165, and that would be on the first try.
The money situation doesn't bother me that much because right now I make 30k at my day job and am presently working two jobs. I figure I can expect to make around 45-50k coming out of law school. And since widener would give me some money and I plan to work part time I should off set some of the debt.
With that being said... I would consider waiting, but I reeeeeeeaaaalllllly don't want to. I want to start now. Another year of stagnation and brain rot at my current job may end me

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:13 pm

Don't worry scores aren't averaged in any way at all anymore for almost all law schools. In fact I would encourage you to take the LSAT up to the maximum 3 times in a couple of years to maximize your chances. The cost of taking and preparing for the exam is far outweighed by the possible benefits.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ams

New

Post by ams » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:51 pm

Studying for the LSAT might help with the brain rot. It will keep your mind active and it feels good to be actively working toward a goal. But only you can know if you're at the breaking point or not.

johnnysweet

New

Post by johnnysweet » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:18 pm

Hi guys,
I also forgot to mention that I had a pretty long arrest record when I was younger. Nothing really bad or violent or anything, just a lot of stupid things. Mainly retail theft as a minor, a pot possession, a DUI(expunged), a public drunkeness that (dropped), 2 escape charges (both dropped), and a couple disorderly conducts.
The last offence was the DUI back in 10/2004.
How bad do you think these will hurt my chances? And does this add to the argument that I should just settle for a T3/T4?

johnnysweet

New

Post by johnnysweet » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:20 pm

Oh, and I recieved and submitted my 2nd LOR today :D

...not that it matters a whole lot at this point though :cry:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”