Mercer or Arkansas-Little Rock? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mavregade

New

Mercer or Arkansas-Little Rock?

Post by mavregade » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:24 pm

So the best offers I have on the table right now are Mercer ($25k/year) and UALR-Bowen (in state tuition plus $8K a year) meaning these two cost about the same. I visited Mercer and liked it, but I am from Georgia and am kind of tired of it. Does anyone know about Little Rock? Macon (where Mercer is located) is not impressive.

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Re: Mercer or Arkansas-Little Rock?

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:01 pm

Here's the thing...

You may be tired of Georgia, but how much do you like Arkansas? UALR is not in the same boat as UA-Fayetteville. UALR places a lot of their graduates in Arkansas, and I mean a LOT. Remember that this school is not only located in the heart of Arkansas, but it also states that the "Why UALR essay" can be particularly useful for those who are not from the state of Arkansas. In short, the school embraces its regional stronghold. If you hope to ever leave the state of Arkansas, you will have a thin network of alumni who are outside the state. Granted, there is a network outside of Arkansas, but it's not as large.

Obviously it is possible to leave Arkansas from UALR, or Georgia from Mercer, but there might be a little more footwork involved, as with anything and with most other schools.

Now to actually discuss your question... I have been to both cities. Little Rock does have more to do than Macon which, as you point out, doesn't have a whole lot going on. But by the same token, Little Rock is not huge city but is the largest one within a big geographic area. Whereas with Macon, Atlanta is only an hour drive away if you feel so inclined. As far as what Little Rock is actually like to live in, I'll leave that to others. All I can say is it is a good mid-sized city. And there should be things to do, if you get bored.

As an aside which might be helpful for others answering the question, how much does each respective school actually cost? Like, what does $25K/year leave you paying at Mercer, and what is in-state tuition plus $8K at UALR?

Have you visited both schools? If so, which one did you feel better about. If not, would it be financially feasible to do so?

mavregade

New

Post by mavregade » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:10 pm

Ok so I would end up paying about $13K at both schools with those offers, before other parts of the cost of attendance. I don't think either school has a high cost of living. I don't particularly DISLIKE Arkansas, but then again I've never been there.

I wonder if there is any way I can get either school to give me just a bit more than the other. Probably not. (My stats are a 162/3.46)

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:53 pm

mavregade wrote: Probably not. (My stats are a 162/3.46)
This might sound weird, but did you apply to very many places? Your LSAT is far above the median at both of these schools. I'm sure you could get into a number of places that are a little more competitive (did you even try for UA-Fayetteville btw?). There are several T2 schools that would want you just for your LSAT.

However, if you're aiming for low debt, that's very understandable. I think you might be able to negotiate more, as you never really know until you ask. For whatever it's worth, I went 2 for 3 in asking for money when I was applying to law schools.

If you just wanna get out of GA, then I suppose there is some merit to that. But I would at least try to visit UALR if you can afford to do so. If it's not too late to apply, you might try to throw UA-Fayetteville into the mix too (with a visit as well).

Edit: spelling.
Last edited by You Gotta Have Faith on Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:56 pm

With a 162/3.46 you should have done much better. You could have received major money at Stetson while living in paradise, for example. Pepperdine & SMU are also options.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:00 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:You could have received major money at Stetson while living in paradise, for example.
If you want a good shot at underemployment afterward.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:01 pm

Without debt, however. Do you really believe that Mercer or Arkansas-L.R. offer better options ?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:06 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Without debt, however. Do you really believe that Mercer or Arkansas-L.R. offer better options ?
Nope. I'd retake.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:08 pm

Then OP might get into Emory !

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:15 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Then OP might get into Emory !
With a 166, his dream could be a reality!

mavregade

New

Post by mavregade » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:53 pm

Well I am in at Penn St, no scholarship offers yet, and at Miami, but I hear Miami is out of money :( and I am waiting on Wake, Santa Clara, and UGA. But really I don't want a ton of debt. Would it be worth it to go into debt for Wake or Miami?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:35 pm

mavregade wrote:Well I am in at Penn St, no scholarship offers yet, and at Miami, but I hear Miami is out of money :( and I am waiting on Wake, Santa Clara, and UGA. But really I don't want a ton of debt. Would it be worth it to go into debt for Wake or Miami?
No.

mavregade

New

Post by mavregade » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:31 pm

So I just got a scholarship offer from Penn St for 20 K/year. That's only about 1/2 of their tuition. Should I seriously consider them?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”