Choosing a law school based on SCOTUS placement Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
michigan_man

New

Choosing a law school based on SCOTUS placement

Post by michigan_man » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:01 am

Have you ever met anyone who was a SCOTUS clerk? I mean, these people are intellectually awe inspiring. You can tell before you go to law school if you have a chance to get a SCOTUS clerkship. Just ask yourself the following:

"Have I ever met anyone in my entire life who I thought could have been as smart as me? Anyone who ever made a better substantive point in an argument? Did I get a perfect/near perfect LSAT score (180-177)? Perfect/near perfect SAT sore? In high school/college, I was smarter than all my friends, but was I smarter than all my friends' friends' friends?"

If the answer is no to any of these questions, you aren't getting a SCOTUS clerkship out of HYS. Same at the rest of the T-14. Your only chance at getting a clerkship is to become really conservative and attend a conservative T-1 law school and hope that either Alito or Thomas picks you. Good luck getting laid at BYU.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Re: Choosing a law school based on SCOTUS placement

Post by D. H2Oman » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:05 am

michigan_man wrote:Have you ever met anyone who was a SCOTUS clerk? I mean, these people are intellectually awe inspiring. You can tell before you go to law school if you have a chance to get a SCOTUS clerkship. Just ask yourself the following:

"Have I ever met anyone in my entire life who I thought could have been as smart as me? Anyone who ever made a better substantive point in an argument? Did I get a perfect/near perfect LSAT score (180-177)? Perfect/near perfect SAT sore? In high school/college, I was smarter than all my friends, but was I smarter than all my friends' friends' friends?"

If the answer is no to any of these questions, you aren't getting a SCOTUS clerkship out of HYS. Same at the rest of the T-14. Your only chance at getting a clerkship is to become really conservative and attend a conservative T-1 law school and hope that either Alito or Thomas picks you. Good luck getting laid at BYU.

wtf dude, no. Delete this and try again.

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:07 am

michigan_man wrote: Perfect/near perfect SAT sore?
This post was snooty enough that I just had to.

michigan_man

New

Post by michigan_man » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:14 am

I just wanted to throw this up there for all those people who think going to Harvard over a full-ride at a T-10 because of the SCOTUS placement alone is worth it.

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:57 am

michigan_man wrote:I just wanted to throw this up there for all those people who think going to Harvard over a full-ride at a T-10 because of the SCOTUS placement alone is worth it.
In that case, I still don't agree with your initial post. But I can agree that choosing Harvard solely for that reason is absurd. I have had multiple professors who clerked for the SCOTUS (oddly enough, all 4 of them went somewhere other than Harvard; and none of them went to Yale or Stanford, either). I mean, sure, they are smart people. But they are not so far above the rest of us, as your post seems to suggest, that they are incapable of being outdone in a substantive philosophical, intellectual or legal argument. In fact, they tend to be the type of people that actively acknowledge and pursue points which can trump their argument and make it better.

As far as the YHS part goes, it's obvious that going to Yale in particular (but also Harvard and Stanford) is beneficial to your candidacy for a SCOTUS clerkship, but other schools get their foot in the door too. This is a bit dated, but take a look at:

http://www.leiterrankings.com/jobs/2000 ... erks.shtml

You will notice that, as a percentage, U of Chicago is actually on par with and even above Harvard most of the time with the number of SCOTUS clerks that they produce.

Anyhow, back to your initial point... who on here actually thinks that? I haven't run across anyone on these boards who would opt for Harvard over a full-ride at a T-10 law school solely for the negligibly higher chance that they might become a SCOTUS clerk. I mean, sure, there are some who might opt for Harvard in the given scenario, but I can near guarantee that other factors go into that reasoning. And if SCOTUS placement really is your reason (and you didn't get into Yale), then why not opt for Chicago?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:59 am

This thread has promise.

dissonance1848

Silver

Post by dissonance1848 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:02 pm

For SCOTUS you need one thing: Fucking Grades! Fuckin hell man, yes, HYSC give people a several fold better shot at SCOTUS than the rest of the T-14, but unless you are already in the top 5% of your class (speculating, no idea what rank cutoffs are), then you are shit out of luck, even at Yale (competition moves to scholarship, since no grades).

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:03 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:For SCOTUS you need one thing: Fucking Grades!

You need so much more than this.

dissonance1848

Silver

Post by dissonance1848 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:03 pm

Also, you're aware that UGPA and LSAT are shit correlates with 1L grades, which is what SCOTUS clerkships are based off, right?

I'll readily concede that point, just meant the school/placement thing was bullshit, but right, rank is necessary not sufficient.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:06 pm

WTF no. The SCOTUS clerks that I met fulfilled none of these requirements. They were terribly smart but not invincible. Also surprisingly down to earth.

Edit: Actually one of the clerks went to HYS. Another went to a "lower' T-1 (non-Thomas), how is that for styling on your ass?

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:49 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
dissonance1848 wrote:For SCOTUS you need one thing: Fucking Grades!

You need so much more than this.
A big dick?

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:50 pm

bender18

Bronze

Post by bender18 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:16 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:Also, you're aware that UGPA and LSAT are shit correlates with 1L grades, which is what SCOTUS clerkships are based off, right?

I'll readily concede that point, just meant the school/placement thing was bullshit, but right, rank is necessary not sufficient.
Good point. I believe LSAT and GPA each only have a .35 correlation with 1L grades.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:19 pm

When combined LSAT & GPA have a .50 correlation to first year law school performance according to a Virginia law prof who served as head of LSAC during 2002-2003.

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:58 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:When combined LSAT & GPA have a .50 correlation to first year law school performance according to a Virginia law prof who served as head of LSAC during 2002-2003.
I have heard something along these lines before. Granted, it's not 100% or anything. But it makes me wonder what the curve and competition is like in schools like Cornell and USC, where the LSAT scores and GPAs are mostly pretty close to each other with very few outliers.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:05 pm

Does anyone have a list of SCOTUS clerk placement over the last decade or so. I've read that the Univ. of Georgia School of Law outplaced most Top 14 law schools. Is this correct ?

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:14 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Does anyone have a list of SCOTUS clerk placement over the last decade or so. I've read that the Univ. of Georgia School of Law outplaced most Top 14 law schools. Is this correct ?
I pasted this earlier, but:

http://www.leiterrankings.com/jobs/2000 ... erks.shtml

Looks like they had 3 over a 9 year span, which is not bad for a school like that. (Note: I don't have the numbers on hand for 2009-2010.)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:23 pm

--LinkRemoved--

twistedwrister

Bronze

Post by twistedwrister » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:31 pm

Here are the updated numbers (through 2010) from Leiter.

http://www.leiterrankings.com/new/2010_ ... ment.shtml

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:20 am

Many of my professors were SCOTUS clerks - they're highly intelligent, down to earth people.

I have no flipping clue what you're talking about.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”