Michigan State University Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dr123

Gold

Michigan State University

Post by dr123 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:09 am

n
Last edited by dr123 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

acirilli1722

New

Re: Michigan State University

Post by acirilli1722 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:12 am

I'm not sure if in-state helps but it is private. They pretty much just put their name on Detroit Law (same thing that PSU did with Dickinson). From what I have heard and what I believe it probably won't help much since they don't get state funding and therefor aren't required to bring in in-state students.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:47 am

Yea it's not going to help you at all. MSU is trying to boost their rankings by offering lots of money to high numbers so they're not exactly in the game of helping out in-staters.

LSATWIZ

New

Post by LSATWIZ » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:03 pm

ran12 wrote:Yea it's not going to help you at all. MSU is trying to boost their rankings by offering lots of money to high numbers so they're not exactly in the game of helping out in-staters.
I disagree. Being in state always makes a slight diff, even at the Ivys. At a school like MS it might make more as it seems more likely you will attend if admitted.

NorCalBruin

Silver

Post by NorCalBruin » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:36 pm

Agree with LSATWIZ.

They are more likely to admit in-staters BECAUSE they are trying to improve their ranking. They see people in-state as more likely to come and to improve their yield rate. After all, there is something to be said for staying near your family, old friends, old life, etc... Is it going to be a big difference the way it can sometimes be at Texas or UVA? No.

I think almost any school gives a slight boost to people with ties to the region, which includes in-staters. However, I disagree that it always makes a difference, especially at the very top. I think very top schools (HYSCCN and even MVPD and to some extant the whole T14) have very portable degrees. People from California can go to Michigan or Columbia but end up back in California (or anywhere) and still get a top paying job. People know this, and as such, people from all across the nation are willing to travel to go to these schools. Thus, these schools don't have to worry about keeping their acceptance rate low and yield rate high by admitting in-staters and are probably legitimately interested in national diversity.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:57 pm

mmmm
Last edited by dr123 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:21 pm

To clarify my earlier post, I was assuming that the OP had lower numbers for MSU b/c he asked if being in-state would help and thus being in-state wouldn't help but if he's competitive for MSU it would help.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:23 pm

mmmmmm
Last edited by dr123 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:51 pm

dr123 wrote:
ran12 wrote:To clarify my earlier post, I was assuming that the OP had lower numbers for MSU b/c he asked if being in-state would help and thus being in-state wouldn't help but if he's competitive for MSU it would help.
Right now, I'm at the median for MSU (LSAT wise, I have no LSDAS GPA, cuz my ug doesn't give letter grades), but I am retaking the LSAT and applying next cycle
If you can get your LSAT up even a little bit you're in a good position to be accepted. At median right now you could still prob get accepted but that's more unclear. I have no idea how having no GPA would factor in but if your LSAT ends up being what MSU wants then it prob won't matter too much.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NorCalBruin

Silver

Post by NorCalBruin » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:58 pm

I don't live in Michigan and haven't really lived there, save a few weeks here and there to visit fam, since high school, but it's considered my state of permanant residence on LSAC. So that would consider me instate, right?
No.

To be a resident of a state, most states require that you live there for a certain amount of time (usually a year, but this depends on the state), that you have an address in the state (not just a P.O. box), that you have a bank account or other fiscal ties to the state, and that you don't claim residency in more than one state (which is a federal crime). Again this varies by state. To further complicate this, many states (such as Michigan) allow the schools to determine their own rules for when a student may pay "in-state" or "out of state" tuition. Despite this complicated mess, you do not appear to have anything that would make you a resident of Michigan.

So no. You are not in-state. BUT, to clarify, MSU LAW is NOT a state school, they are PRIVATE, so they don't have to take a certain number of "in staters" the same way UVA or Texas does. And not being in-state won't hurt you. HOWEVER, having family in Michigan means you have ties there, and that will help you a LITTLE.

grobbelski

Bronze

Post by grobbelski » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:02 pm

Your ties to the state will help, imo, especially if they are genuine, and maybe even moreso if you incorporate them into your personal statement or why a MSU letter.

The way I look at it is if you and another applicant have exactly everything the same. LSAT, softs, etc, and you have a legitimate ties to Michigan that you expound on as a reason for applying to MSU, and the other candidate doesn't, you are going to win that maybe 10 times out of 10.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:03 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:
I don't live in Michigan and haven't really lived there, save a few weeks here and there to visit fam, since high school, but it's considered my state of permanant residence on LSAC. So that would consider me instate, right?
No.

To be a resident of a state, most states require that you live there for a certain amount of time (usually a year, but this depends on the state), that you have an address in the state (not just a P.O. box), that you have a bank account or other fiscal ties to the state, and that you don't claim residency in more than one state (which is a federal crime). Again this varies by state. To further complicate this, many states (such as Michigan) allow the schools to determine their own rules for when a student may pay "in-state" or "out of state" tuition. Despite this complicated mess, you do not appear to have anything that would make you a resident of Michigan.

So no. You are not in-state. BUT, to clarify, MSU LAW is NOT a state school, they are PRIVATE, so they don't have to take a certain number of "in staters" the same way UVA or Texas does. And not being in-state won't hurt you. HOWEVER, having family in Michigan means you have ties there, and that will help you a LITTLE.
What really matters is what you drivers license says. I've never bothered changing mine since I'm still leaching off my parents health insurance.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:04 pm

mm
Last edited by dr123 on Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

grobbelski

Bronze

Post by grobbelski » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:06 pm

dr123 wrote:
grobbelski wrote:Your ties to the state will help, imo, especially if they are genuine, and maybe even moreso if you incorporate them into your personal statement or why a MSU letter.

The way I look at it is if you and another applicant have exactly everything the same. LSAT, softs, etc, and you have a legitimate ties to Michigan that you expound on as a reason for applying to MSU, and the other candidate doesn't, you are going to win that maybe 10 times out of 10.
I have major ties to MSU as a school too, a bunch of my relatives went there. Also I applied and was accepted for UG but did not attend, would that help or hinder me?
The not going there part would hinder you. The law school is separate though, so they may not even notice. I certainly wouldn't bring it up if you can avoid it.

grobbelski

Bronze

Post by grobbelski » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:07 pm

dr123 wrote:
grobbelski wrote:Your ties to the state will help, imo, especially if they are genuine, and maybe even moreso if you incorporate them into your personal statement or why a MSU letter.

I have major ties to MSU as a school too, a bunch of my relatives went there. Also I applied and was accepted for UG but did not attend, would that help or hinder me?

And yes, my DL is Michigan, but my health insurance is through my job which is in the mountain west. This is all so confusing

They will have questions that will help you determine residency. Worry about getting in first.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:08 pm

ll

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”