Government law in CA--what are my options Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
kaftka juice

New

Government law in CA--what are my options

Post by kaftka juice » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:06 pm

Last edited by kaftka juice on Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imbored25

Bronze

Re: Government law in CA--what are my options

Post by imbored25 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:49 pm

if your priority is mobility go usc/ucla, however is that mobility really worth the 100+k debt and a low paying govt job?

kaftka juice

New

Post by kaftka juice » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:43 pm

Last edited by kaftka juice on Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imbored25

Bronze

Post by imbored25 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:42 pm

--LinkRemoved--
you can search by school and type of employer

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:22 pm

SoCal Schools:

- UCLA will undoubtedly travel the best, both in and out of state. It'd also be best if you have any concern you might change your mind (ie you might want to try academia, etc).

- USC is a good school, and has built a good name for itself, but it's alumni base (which is rabid in an awesome way) is primarily in SoCal and primarily in the private sector. That's not to say that government jobs can't happen, a lot of the private sector emphasis is a matter of self-selection at USC, but that's not their focus.

- Irvine is kind of a wild card, primarily because they don't have any graduating classes yet from which to judge. However, the UC-brand is a good one and they'll likely do decently in SoCal. Traveling to NorCal will likely be possible, but it's hard to know how possible at this point.

NorCal Schools:

- Davis, I think, has the edge here in government. Not because they are a better school than Hastings or anything like that, but because of very close proximity to the state capital. Fact of the matter is, if not for UCLA's brand-name advantage, Davis would probably be the best choice for this reason. Government internships are easier to come by in Sac, especially if UCD has a way you can do them during the year.

- Hastings is an excellent school, and its reputation in CA is better than its current ranking might suggest. The problem here is competition in the immediate vicinity for what government jobs do exist within the Bay Area (Stanford and Cal).

- Neither Davis nor Hastings is a guaranteed job in SoCal, but down there they are third only to UCLA/USC and on par with UCI. EDIT: I suppose fifth and sixth behind UCLA/USC would be more accurate, as even in SoCal Stanford and Cal have an edge.
Last edited by mi-chan17 on Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kaftka juice

New

Post by kaftka juice » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:47 pm

Last edited by kaftka juice on Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spanktheduck

Bronze

Post by spanktheduck » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:04 pm

What type of hiring is CA gov't doing right now? The budget is complete shit.

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:02 pm

spanktheduck wrote:What type of hiring is CA gov't doing right now? The budget is complete shit.
The kind we can't afford.

No. Really.

How much hiring happens in the next few years will depend on how the November election goes, and which candidate nobody likes wins. But job prospects aren't really fantastic anywhere, and if OP is specifically looking for CA schools and CA gov't then I'll roll with it.

spanktheduck

Bronze

Post by spanktheduck » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:34 pm

mi-chan17 wrote:
spanktheduck wrote:What type of hiring is CA gov't doing right now? The budget is complete shit.
The kind we can't afford.

No. Really.

How much hiring happens in the next few years will depend on how the November election goes, and which candidate nobody likes wins. But job prospects aren't really fantastic anywhere, and if OP is specifically looking for CA schools and CA gov't then I'll roll with it.
I just wanted to point out that CA gov't hiring might not be super great in the up coming years. I have no first hand knowledge of CA hiring at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”