Human Rights Law Programs Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
SecondAidenn

New

Human Rights Law Programs

Post by SecondAidenn » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:09 am

Hello everyone! I am currently (like most of you, I'm sure) frantically looking at law school programs, but I am having some difficulty with targeting second tier schools with strong human rights programs. The only one I have found so far has been American University. Do any of you have any suggestions on good places to look/schools to consider? Preferably in the North East, but I'll take any and all suggestions at the moment.

Thank you very much!

nealric

Re: Human Rights Law Programs

Post by nealric » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:20 am

Don't go to law school if your plan is to work in human rights. Go work for Amnesty International and be done with it.

Programs dedicated to such things are nothing but marketing ploys.

SecondAidenn

New

Post by SecondAidenn » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:28 am

I think I'll have to disagree with you, since my aim is to work in human rights law from a more diplomatic or scholarly perspective. Plus, a law degree is an incredibly versatile thing, and, depending on the school, has a much higher chance of affording me a salary that I can live off of while ALSO saving the world.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:30 am

Last edited by romothesavior on Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zanda

Silver

Post by zanda » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:31 am

SecondAidenn wrote:I think I'll have to disagree with you, since my aim is to work in human rights law from a more diplomatic or scholarly perspective. Plus, a law degree is an incredibly versatile thing, and, depending on the school, has a much higher chance of affording me a salary that I can live off of while ALSO saving the world.
Law degrees are no longer "incredibly versatile," nor do they provide a large chance at a good salary. I dunno... T6 w/ a good LRAP program might be a less terrible idea than going to another school with that expectation, but I'd be aware that you're not looking at a high salary or, even from those schools, a very good chance of getting that type of job.
Last edited by zanda on Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KibblesAndVick

Silver

Post by KibblesAndVick » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:32 am

Trolls are supposed to be funny. :(

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:38 am

Total FLAME.

SecondAidenn

New

Post by SecondAidenn » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:50 am

zanda wrote:Law degrees are no longer "incredibly versatile," nor do they provide a large chance at a good salary. I dunno... T6 w/ a good LRAP program might be a less terrible idea than going to another school with that expectation, but I'd be aware that you're not looking at a high salary or, even from those schools, a very good chance of getting that type of job.
Thank you, Zanda. I was not actually even aware of LRAP programs, so I'll definitely have to keep that in mind.

nealric

Post by nealric » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:54 am

Yeah, OP's second post confirms flame status.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 270910 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:56 am

Disco_Barred's Official Human Rights Law Rankings:

YHS

CCN

MVPB

DCN

G

UCLA..uh... Texas? Some other schools

The Abyss

Florida Coastal
Cooley
Ave Maria

People's College of Law

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:57 am

Northwestern University offers, to the best of my recollection, either a dual degree program or a concentration in human rights law. Northwestern has both a journal & a clinic focusing on international human rights. NU School of Law also offers a LLM degree in International Human Rights.
P.S. Just noticed that OP is seeking second tier programs. NU is first tier so it may not be a realistic option in this case.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:59 am

OP, if you're going to flame, at least have the decency to argue with us like seija in the original NorB. This thread has potential, but right now its booooring.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:15 am

disco_barred wrote:Disco_Barred's Official Human Rights Law Rankings:

Y
H

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SecondAidenn

New

Post by SecondAidenn » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:20 am

CanadianWolf wrote:P.S. Just noticed that OP is seeking second tier programs. NU is first tier so it may not be a realistic option in this case.
Yeah, the first tier schools are definitely my hope, but I'm trying to gather research on second tier schools at the moment, since I don't know nearly as much about them. Thanks for the info, though.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:22 am

Better odds:

Romothesavior getting WLRK from WUSTL or OP getting well-paying diplomatic/scholarly international human rights work from a T2?

BeautifulSW

Silver

Post by BeautifulSW » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:29 pm

Notre Dame offers LL.M. and J.S.D. programs in International Human Rights. The OP is talking about his J.D. but maybe the presence of the graduate program means that there is an opportunity for J.D.s as well.

mrvinyl007

New

Post by mrvinyl007 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:40 pm

Some of us are unable to score in the 95th percentile to be accepted into a top tier law school. Like the OP I am also looking for a school that is strong in International Law/Human Rights. As far as I can tell through researching a lot of this stuff is that American would be the best prospect for a person with a somewhat low LSAT score and GPA. I'm talking like 163 and 3.2. According to some rankings they are ranked 5th in the country for this sort of concentration in law, which isn't too shabby. However, I'm nor sure what this type of concentration on law is like as you keep going down the list of law schools in the 2nd tier. I would definitely be looking at American. That is certainly the school that I'm aiming for currently.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:45 pm

mrvinyl007 wrote:Some of us are unable to score in the 95th percentile to be accepted into a top tier law school. Like the OP I am also looking for a school that is strong in International Law/Human Rights. As far as I can tell through researching a lot of this stuff is that American would be the best prospect for a person with a somewhat low LSAT score and GPA. I'm talking like 163 and 3.2. According to some rankings they are ranked 5th in the country for this sort of concentration in law, which isn't too shabby. However, I'm nor sure what this type of concentration on law is like as you keep going down the list of law schools in the 2nd tier. I would definitely be looking at American. That is certainly the school that I'm aiming for currently.

Define "international law".

mrvinyl007

New

Post by mrvinyl007 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:59 pm

kalvano wrote:
mrvinyl007 wrote:Some of us are unable to score in the 95th percentile to be accepted into a top tier law school. Like the OP I am also looking for a school that is strong in International Law/Human Rights. As far as I can tell through researching a lot of this stuff is that American would be the best prospect for a person with a somewhat low LSAT score and GPA. I'm talking like 163 and 3.2. According to some rankings they are ranked 5th in the country for this sort of concentration in law, which isn't too shabby. However, I'm nor sure what this type of concentration on law is like as you keep going down the list of law schools in the 2nd tier. I would definitely be looking at American. That is certainly the school that I'm aiming for currently.

Define "international law".
Laws that govern the conduct of independent nations in their relationships with one another. It differs from other legal systems in that it primarily concerns the rights and liabilities of sovereign states rather than private citizens

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:43 pm

*DISCLAIMER*
What is about to follow is not my attempt to be a jerk. It is simply the blunt truth.
mrvinyl007 wrote:Some of us are unable to score in the 95th percentile to be accepted into a top tier law school. Like the OP I am also looking for a school that is strong in International Law/Human Rights.
If you are unable to get into a top tier law school, then you shouldn't plan on going into international law or human rights law. Those fields are small and are very prestige focused. Even a student at a T14 school would have trouble getting into these fields. The big names like Harvard and Yale dominate those areas.

I would strongly, STRONGLY recommend re-taking the LSAT.
mrvinyl007 wrote:As far as I can tell through researching a lot of this stuff is that American would be the best prospect for a person with a somewhat low LSAT score and GPA. I'm talking like 163 and 3.2.
American is an overpriced school in a high cost-of-living city with horrible job prospects. They market themselves as having a niche in international law, but that's all it is: marketing. International law is not a realistic goal for someone going to American, as only the cream of the crop in their classes will have a shot at it.
mrvinyl007 wrote:According to some rankings they are ranked 5th in the country for this sort of concentration in law, which isn't too shabby. However, I'm nor sure what this type of concentration on law is like as you keep going down the list of law schools in the 2nd tier.
Specialty rankings are seriously worthless. Median at American should be worried about getting ANY job to pay off their 200k+ debts, not worrying about how to represent Palestinian refugees in the Middle East or how to get in with a firm in Europe.. The U.N. ain't gonna be kicking down the door trying to get anyone at American.
mrvinyl007 wrote: I would definitely be looking at American. That is certainly the school that I'm aiming for currently.
Please don't pass horrific advice to other people if you haven't done the research and don't know what you are talking about.

mrvinyl007

New

Post by mrvinyl007 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:01 pm

Thanks for the education!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:09 pm

mrvinyl007 wrote: Laws that govern the conduct of independent nations in their relationships with one another. It differs from other legal systems in that it primarily concerns the rights and liabilities of sovereign states rather than private citizens
And you, as a newly minted lawyer, are going to be the one breaking in to this field instead of the people with 30+ years of legal and political experience, who have Yale, Harvard, and Stanford on their JD? Because something like that is 95% political, 4.9% luck, and .01% law. Or, for some reason, they are going to hire an AU grad to work with French law or German law instead of a lawyer from those countries?

News flash: "international law" is a scam program from universities to sucker you in and get your money.

SecondAidenn

New

Post by SecondAidenn » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:40 pm

Kalvano and Romothesavior, thank you, those were very good points. I hadn't even taken the time to consider the political ramifications from that angle, and it makes sense that strong human rights and international law programs with any decent prospects are relegated to the T14 schools. I'll definitely have to keep that in mind. My hope IS to be admitted to NYU or Harvard, but given the difficulty of that I was also trying to cement some back up plans, but it looks like back up plans for human rights law are a little more difficult than I thought. Thank you for the help.

mpasi

Bronze

Post by mpasi » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:54 pm

American has a really good one. If my GPA was better, I'd put it on my list of schools to apply to.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:49 pm

SecondAidenn wrote:Kalvano and Romothesavior, thank you, those were very good points. I hadn't even taken the time to consider the political ramifications from that angle, and it makes sense that strong human rights and international law programs with any decent prospects are relegated to the T14 schools. I'll definitely have to keep that in mind. My hope IS to be admitted to NYU or Harvard, but given the difficulty of that I was also trying to cement some back up plans, but it looks like back up plans for human rights law are a little more difficult than I thought. Thank you for the help.
What are your numbers?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”