HELP! Davis or Hastings? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
asvahdat

New

HELP! Davis or Hastings?

Post by asvahdat » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:54 am

Hi everyone,

So I have been admitted as a transfer student to both UC Davis and UC Hastings, and I am so completely torn! Can anyone give me some advice on which one may be better? I have a BigLaw bent, but I don't know how viable that is anyway as a transfer student. I'm transferring from Golden Gate University, and I'm very familiar with both schools' location and facilities as I went to Davis undergrad, am originally from the Bay Area and my brother went to Hastings. But any and all outside advice would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks, everyone!
Last edited by asvahdat on Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

MD/JD2B

Bronze

Re: HELP! Davis or Hastings?

Post by MD/JD2B » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:59 am

Go to Davis. Our class at Hastings is large enough..and Davis has a higher ranking and is safer. Good Luck!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:49 am

As a transfer from GGU without a rank, I don't see biglaw happening from either one unfortunately. Even people who are top-15% are going to struggle a bit ITE. Pick the one where you'd be happiest: You already know SF; if you want a change of pace, come to UCD.

Don't choose based on ranking though. As much as I like saying Davis is "T30," the odds are it'll all flip back and forth every year like it always has.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:13 am

asvahdat wrote:Hi everyone,

So I have been admitted as a transfer student to both UC Davis and UC Hastings, and I am so completely torn! Can anyone give me some advice on which one may be better? I have a BigLaw bent, but I don't know how viable that is anyway as a transfer student. I'm transferring from Golden Gate University, and I'm very familiar with both schools' location and facilities as I went to Davis undergrad, am originally from the Bay Area and my brother went to Hastings. But any and all outside advice would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks, everyone!
Hastings seems better for public interest (LRAP, location, and apprantly more PI offices at OCI)

but if that's not your thing then
Pick the one where you'd be happiest
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

asvahdat

New

Post by asvahdat » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:42 pm

Well here are some other questions for you guys:

I missed the first round of OCI bidding at Davis and from my understanding still have the opportunity to bid on all OCI employers at Hastings. Now I talked with the firms from the first round at Davis, and they all said I could submit my resume directly with them. So do you think that is realistically a disadvantage with Davis?

Secondly, I didn't submit my write on packet with law review at Davis b/c I was in the midst of working full time and filling out my other transfer applications. Again, from my understanding, I still have a shot at law review with Hastings. If that's the case, would Hastings hold an edge? Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”