Negotiating Scholarships Forum
-
jinkz

- Posts: 19
- Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:24 pm
Negotiating Scholarships
I was admitted to a school with a merit-based scholarship, which I ended up negotiating with them and as a result, they up-ed the original scholarship. This was back in March, I've sent in my first seat deposit since then. Recently I've faced some unexpected financial hardships...and am considering talking to the school to see if they can send any more money my way. Should I go for it...or would it be douchebag like to ask for more money (specially since I already sent in my first deposit)? Any thoughts/advice would help! Thanks.
- smov_operator

- Posts: 159
- Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:45 pm
Re: Negotiating Scholarships
Go for it, it's probably a long shot but what's the worst thing they will say? No? It's not like you already enrolled or that they will take back their offer.jinkz wrote:I was admitted to a school with a merit-based scholarship, which I ended up negotiating with them and as a result, they up-ed the original scholarship. This was back in March, I've sent in my first seat deposit since then. Recently I've faced some unexpected financial hardships...and am considering talking to the school to see if they can send any more money my way. Should I go for it...or would it be douchebag like to ask for more money (specially since I already sent in my first deposit)? Any thoughts/advice would help! Thanks.
-
isaiah6v8

- Posts: 367
- Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:02 pm
Re: Negotiating Scholarships
I don't see any harm in asking. Of course, you don't have as much leverage now. But they may understand, and some money may have been freed up that could be diverted to you.jinkz wrote:I was admitted to a school with a merit-based scholarship, which I ended up negotiating with them and as a result, they up-ed the original scholarship. This was back in March, I've sent in my first seat deposit since then. Recently I've faced some unexpected financial hardships...and am considering talking to the school to see if they can send any more money my way. Should I go for it...or would it be douchebag like to ask for more money (specially since I already sent in my first deposit)? Any thoughts/advice would help! Thanks.
-
law123456

- Posts: 10
- Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:11 pm
Re: Negotiating Scholarships
ok. I think that you could and should ask for more money. The worst they can do is say no. You owe them gratitude for the original offers but you don't owe them a blind acceptance of the current terms.
I would phrase the request like this. "My financial situation has changed and I am now forced to reconsider my decision to forgo larger scholarship at xxxxx. (you do have a larger offer somewhere i hope) I did not wish to make my final decision without giving you a chance to respond to these developments.
I used a similar line in my second negotiation and was successful.
I would phrase the request like this. "My financial situation has changed and I am now forced to reconsider my decision to forgo larger scholarship at xxxxx. (you do have a larger offer somewhere i hope) I did not wish to make my final decision without giving you a chance to respond to these developments.
I used a similar line in my second negotiation and was successful.
-
jinkz

- Posts: 19
- Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:24 pm
Re: Negotiating Scholarships
deff good to know that others have done this before!law123456 wrote:I used a similar line in my second negotiation and was successful.
i've heard rumors that schools targeting students with significant scholarships (right now i have a 60% scholarship, must be in top 50% of my class every year, can't get the $ back if i lose it)...if i ask for more and do happen to get it, would that put me at risk of being targeted and placed in sections with students in the same boat?
not sure if anyone can answer that for sure, since they're all rumors, but if there are any current students out there that have noticed this, let me know.
-
WashingtonJew

- Posts: 48
- Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:24 pm
Re: Negotiating Scholarships
About negotiating - a) who to send letter to? Dean listed on acceptance letter or finaid, or both? E-mail or snail mail?
-
isaiah6v8

- Posts: 367
- Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:02 pm
Re: Negotiating Scholarships
In my situation, I spoke directly to the recruiter who then spoke to the scholarship committee when they met.WashingtonJew wrote:About negotiating - a) who to send letter to? Dean listed on acceptance letter or finaid, or both? E-mail or snail mail?
-
joshbauer

- Posts: 13
- Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:33 pm
Re: Negotiating Scholarships
I am new to TLS so this may be a dumb question. I am in a position to attempt to negotiate for a higher scholarship and was wondering what the best way of going about doing so would be. Is there a place I can look for suggestions?
Thanks
Thanks