Madison $$$ v. UofI $$ v. BC $ Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
politicsmajor

New

Madison $$$ v. UofI $$ v. BC $

Post by politicsmajor » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:10 pm

After some hemming and hawing from these schools, I was able to negotiate a scholarship at only one (Madison). Let this serve as a lesson to all who do not want to seem pushy: it's all a numbers game, it's all a competition. If you are a great or unique candidate (URM), play that hand to get more money. The worse they can say is "Sorry, but no," which is what BC and U of I said.

Anyway, after (politely) bugging all three schools for the last three weeks, Madison seems like they will increase their scholarship offer from $12k a year to giving me a non-resident tuition waiver (valued at $13k per year) and an additional $10k scholarship. If this all comes true, my debt per year, including cost of living, will be around $20k.

University of Illinois offered me $25k/year, and BC underwhelmed me with $15k a year.

UofI and BC are in the top 25, while Madison is in the 30's. After visiting all three campuses (and if you have questions about the campuses or surrounding locations, feel free to ask), I see them all pretty equally. UofI seems to give out the most serious, down-to-business vibe of the three. BC and Madison both seem very collegial and supportive. All three have substantial roots in states I am interested in after graduation (IL, CA, NY).

Considering the difference in ranking, and the regional advantage each has (UofI: IL, WI; Madison:IL, WI, MN; BC:MA,NY), I wonder which would you consider the best of the bunch. Honestly, I am leaning to Madison, with UofI a close second.

I am currently considering the Civil Rights field, and possibly a part-time or full-time move to academia. But of course, that is not set in stone.

Thoughts? I appreciate any words of wisdom you can share with me. Good luck to everyone in the days ahead :)

Informative

Bronze

Re: Madison $$$ v. UofI $$ v. BC $

Post by Informative » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:09 pm

From what I have heard, BC is more national than Madison or UofI and would give you a shot at the big firms (well, all the schools give you a shot, but I think your chances would be better). Is that something you are interested in? If not, having less debt would probably be a good option.

Stats: 166/3.8
Acceptances: BC, BU, GW, Fordham, UCLA, UConn
WL: GULC
Denied: Cornell, Chicago

TUP

Bronze

Post by TUP » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:16 pm

What are your stats OP? I've read that wisconsinis notoriously cheap with $$$, and you have a great offer.

politicsmajor

New

Post by politicsmajor » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:24 pm

Big Law is something I am considering, but it is definitely not driving my decision. I've heard similar things about BC vis a vis UofI and Madison. From talking to various alums and current students from all schools, it seems that each school has a strong foothold on their respective regions, but also have a good presence in the coasts, particularly in CA.

My stats are not impressive, but I am an URM and put a lot of effort into my PS. LSAT: 160, GPA: 3.74. I was lucky enough to get accepted to various (no T14, however, I got shot down by all of them), including UNC, UWa, Cardozo, and Depaul. Their financial aid packages, however, were nowhere close to those from the aforementioned three.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:27 pm

If you are 100% you only wanna work in a law firm, go to BC, otherwise go to UoI. Do NOT go to Madison. UoI has MUCH better placement for the small scholarship difference you have. I seriously think you re looking at UoI versus BC at this point, at least I would be in your shoes.

politicsmajor

New

Post by politicsmajor » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:38 pm

I think I should've shared a bit of the number-crunching I've done already with all of you.

According to my calculations based on the numbers on each school's website, and deducting the "free money" each is offering me, this is how the debt upon graduation breaks down:

U of Illinois: $106,000
BC: $132,000
U of Wiscosin-Madison: $63,000

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”