Wisconsin or Ohio State - academic reputation Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Satur8dphat

New

Wisconsin or Ohio State - academic reputation

Post by Satur8dphat » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:27 pm

I know Wisconsin has a "Law in Action" program but that's only because I've looked at the website.
How nationally respected is the Wisconsin program compared to a similarly-ranked school - Ohio State?

CaptainSnuggleBunny

New

Re: Wisconsin or Ohio State - academic reputation

Post by CaptainSnuggleBunny » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:32 pm

Satur8dphat wrote:I know Wisconsin has a "Law in Action" program but that's only because I've looked at the website.
How nationally respected is the Wisconsin program compared to a similarly-ranked school - Ohio State?
Wisconsin wins out here. However, neither are national schools but both are great in their home market (although I think Wisconsin is a better choice in WI than OSU is in Ohio).

One more consideration: I heard this weekend of a secret UW cabal helping to place Madison grads.

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:07 pm

Where would you rather live? Cheesehead land or Ohio? At least the Packers are usually pretty good. Ohio has Lebron (for now) while the Bucks have up and coming Brandon Jennings but the Bucks are usually pretty bad. Brewers vs Indians? Yuck, I'd rather take Indians.

In other words, they likely are pretty damn equal. Decide which state you want to freeze your ass of in.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:07 am

Ohio State has great faculty for crim law. What do you want to do after law school? Where do you want to practice? Where do you live now?

Satur8dphat

New

Post by Satur8dphat » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:37 am

I've heard Wisconsin has a larger reach outside its own state (Minnesota/Illinois) than Ohio State does. Is this true?

I've also heard that academic specialties aren't as important as I had hoped - a renowned international law program at a mid-first tier school doesn't translate into a higher likelihood of practicing law around the world. Is this true?

And as far as teams go, I'd prefer to freeze my ass off cheering for the Wild or the Blackhawks rather than the Blue Jackets.

thanks for the help. it's much appreciated. it's getting down to decision time and, unfortunately, it seems like all the info I need to make this decision won't come to me until I'm a 3L or graduated. Thus is life.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:41 am

Satur8dphat wrote:I've heard Wisconsin has a larger reach outside its own state (Minnesota/Illinois) than Ohio State does. Is this true?
Wisconsin probably does a little better in Chicago, but you're going to have to kill it at either OSU or Wisconsin for Chicago biglaw. Anyone fortunate enough to experience three years in the heart of Central Ohio would never consider moving to Minnesota. ;)
I've also heard that academic specialties aren't as important as I had hoped - a renowned international law program at a mid-first tier school doesn't translate into a higher likelihood of practicing law around the world. Is this true?
This is true.
And as far as teams go, I'd prefer to freeze my ass off cheering for the Wild or the Blackhawks rather than the Blue Jackets.
What's a hockey?

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:53 am

No comparison - If you're paying out-of-state tuition at both places, Wisconsin is definitely much more worth it. They are similarly ranked, but Madison is just ten imes cooler. No comparison whatsoever.

ArmyVet07

New

Post by ArmyVet07 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:15 pm

Wisconsin's diploma privilege (i.e. no bar exam) is also a plus if you'd consider staying in state.

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:34 pm

ArmyVet07 wrote:Wisconsin's diploma privilege (i.e. no bar exam) is also a plus if you'd consider staying in state.
I forgot about this, good point.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”