GW vs. lots of waitlists vs. try again next year? Forum
-
dcl4yuri

- Posts: 2
- Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:06 am
GW vs. lots of waitlists vs. try again next year?
I am looking for some input to help me with my decision. My current situation is that I applied late this cycle, and didn't get my applications in until mid january. I was waitlisted at a lot of schools, and only got accepted to GW (sticker) and Franklin Pierce (38k).
I am wondering if I should make a decision between these two schools, or if I should wait until next cycle and apply at the start. I was rejected from GULC and UVA, but I would like to work in the DC area. With my numbers, would waiting until next year and applying early in the cycle be worth it?
I am wondering if I should make a decision between these two schools, or if I should wait until next cycle and apply at the start. I was rejected from GULC and UVA, but I would like to work in the DC area. With my numbers, would waiting until next year and applying early in the cycle be worth it?
-
sfdreaming09

- Posts: 273
- Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:54 pm
Re: GW vs. lots of waitlists vs. try again next year?
Definitely wait. You're guaranteed at UVA if you ED.dcl4yuri wrote:I am looking for some input to help me with my decision. My current situation is that I applied late this cycle, and didn't get my applications in until mid january. I was waitlisted at a lot of schools, and only got accepted to GW (sticker) and Franklin Pierce (38k).
I am wondering if I should make a decision between these two schools, or if I should wait until next cycle and apply at the start. I was rejected from GULC and UVA, but I would like to work in the DC area. With my numbers, would waiting until next year and applying early in the cycle be worth it?
- Vincent Vega

- Posts: 1182
- Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm
Re: GW vs. lots of waitlists vs. try again next year?
Not knowing your numbers, it's hard to say whether what to do, but it seems like you should probably retake if you are on the edge of getting T14. If you feel you have T14 numbers, you probably shouldn't settle for GWU at sticker. It's probably in your best interest to wait another year, as long as you have a good job or can find one quickly.
Edit: just looked at your profile numbers - definitely wait for next cycle.
Edit: just looked at your profile numbers - definitely wait for next cycle.
- stratocophic

- Posts: 2204
- Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm
Re: GW vs. lots of waitlists vs. try again next year?
Dude, straight up rejected from GTTTown and UVA as an EE with a 176? I'd go over my app materials and make sure there's not something grievously wrong.dcl4yuri wrote:I am looking for some input to help me with my decision. My current situation is that I applied late this cycle, and didn't get my applications in until mid january. I was waitlisted at a lot of schools, and only got accepted to GW (sticker) and Franklin Pierce (38k).
I am wondering if I should make a decision between these two schools, or if I should wait until next cycle and apply at the start. I was rejected from GULC and UVA, but I would like to work in the DC area. With my numbers, would waiting until next year and applying early in the cycle be worth it?
1) Apply early next year
2) Pick between a ton of money at a T25 school and a splitter-friendly T14
3) ???
4) Profit
-
dcl4yuri

- Posts: 2
- Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:06 am
Re: GW vs. lots of waitlists vs. try again next year?
Well Gtown interviewed me but the interviewer seemed skeptical about the fact that apparently engineers don't write enough in their undergrad.
As for waiting a year, I'm currently employed so I can definitely wait a year from a financial standpoint. I was just wondering if I had a shot at T14 or at least better than GWU by waiting.
As a side note, if I do wait a year, any suggestions for what I could do over the summer to improve my softs?
Thanks for the replies guys.
As for waiting a year, I'm currently employed so I can definitely wait a year from a financial standpoint. I was just wondering if I had a shot at T14 or at least better than GWU by waiting.
As a side note, if I do wait a year, any suggestions for what I could do over the summer to improve my softs?
Thanks for the replies guys.
- stratocophic

- Posts: 2204
- Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm
Re: GW vs. lots of waitlists vs. try again next year?
With work experience and your numbers, you're pretty close to guaranteed to get into Northwestern via ED. I'd use ED on them, UVA, and any other school that shows some splitter acceptances on LSN. If it's not going to be a burden and you're not against it, you should wait, no question. Absolutely no point in paying sticker for GW when you could pay the same price (or even a little less if you go to a school with a lower COL) for a much better school.dcl4yuri wrote:Well Gtown interviewed me but the interviewer seemed skeptical about the fact that apparently engineers don't write enough in their undergrad.![]()
As for waiting a year, I'm currently employed so I can definitely wait a year from a financial standpoint. I was just wondering if I had a shot at T14 or at least better than GWU by waiting.
- Vincent Vega

- Posts: 1182
- Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm
Re: GW vs. lots of waitlists vs. try again next year?
Since at least one T14 basically indicated the reason you didn't get in was the perception that your writing skills wouldn't be up to par, so perhaps do something that shows that you really do have what is needed in that area.dcl4yuri wrote:As a side note, if I do wait a year, any suggestions for what I could do over the summer to improve my softs?
Thanks for the replies guys.
- quickquestionthanks

- Posts: 632
- Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:30 pm
Re: GW vs. lots of waitlists vs. try again next year?
Vincent Vega wrote:Since at least one T14 basically indicated the reason you didn't get in was the perception that your writing skills wouldn't be up to par, so perhaps do something that shows that you really do have what is needed in that area.dcl4yuri wrote:As a side note, if I do wait a year, any suggestions for what I could do over the summer to improve my softs?
Thanks for the replies guys.
Exactly:
http://www.blogger.com
Tell us how you feel!
- Vincent Vega

- Posts: 1182
- Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm
Re: GW vs. lots of waitlists vs. try again next year?
I was thinking something a little more legitimate or substantive.quickquestionthanks wrote:Vincent Vega wrote:Since at least one T14 basically indicated the reason you didn't get in was the perception that your writing skills wouldn't be up to par, so perhaps do something that shows that you really do have what is needed in that area.dcl4yuri wrote:As a side note, if I do wait a year, any suggestions for what I could do over the summer to improve my softs?
Thanks for the replies guys.
Exactly:
http://www.blogger.com
Tell us how you feel!
- quickquestionthanks

- Posts: 632
- Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:30 pm
Re: GW vs. lots of waitlists vs. try again next year?
I was just mocking bloggers.Vincent Vega wrote:I was thinking something a little more legitimate or substantive.quickquestionthanks wrote:Vincent Vega wrote:Since at least one T14 basically indicated the reason you didn't get in was the perception that your writing skills wouldn't be up to par, so perhaps do something that shows that you really do have what is needed in that area.dcl4yuri wrote:As a side note, if I do wait a year, any suggestions for what I could do over the summer to improve my softs?
Thanks for the replies guys.
Exactly:
http://www.blogger.com
Tell us how you feel!
- quadsixm

- Posts: 390
- Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:52 pm
Re: GW vs. lots of waitlists vs. try again next year?
Definitely try again next year
dcl4yuri wrote:I am looking for some input to help me with my decision. My current situation is that I applied late this cycle, and didn't get my applications in until mid january. I was waitlisted at a lot of schools, and only got accepted to GW (sticker) and Franklin Pierce (38k).
I am wondering if I should make a decision between these two schools, or if I should wait until next cycle and apply at the start. I was rejected from GULC and UVA, but I would like to work in the DC area. With my numbers, would waiting until next year and applying early in the cycle be worth it?