Am I strong enough to negotiate? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
pepsi

New

Am I strong enough to negotiate?

Post by pepsi » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:06 am

I have heard about people negotiating scholarship offers, but it is usually people who are well-above the school's medians. Well what about us in-betweeners? At the school I want to attend, my LSAT is barely below the median (1 point) and exactly at the 75% for GPA. I was offered no money, but it is my number one choice. I am also in-state, female and non-URM. Is asking for money with this type of middle-of-the-road profile completely inappropriate?

How should I approach the situation?

kumba84

Bronze

Re: Am I strong enough to negotiate?

Post by kumba84 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:09 am

pepsi wrote:I have heard about people negotiating scholarship offers, but it is usually people who are well-above the school's medians. Well what about us in-betweeners? At the school I want to attend, my LSAT is barely below the median (1 point) and exactly at the 75% for GPA. I was offered no money, but it is my number one choice. I am also in-state, female and non-URM. Is asking for money with this type of middle-of-the-road profile completely inappropriate?

It might not hurt to give it a try--it's not like they're going to rescind your acceptance. If you have a $ offer from a peer school, that would probably give you some leverage.

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:13 am

pepsi wrote:I have heard about people negotiating scholarship offers, but it is usually people who are well-above the school's medians. Well what about us in-betweeners? At the school I want to attend, my LSAT is barely below the median (1 point) and exactly at the 75% for GPA. I was offered no money, but it is my number one choice. I am also in-state, female and non-URM. Is asking for money with this type of middle-of-the-road profile completely inappropriate?

Yes, you should try. What's the worst that could happen? Explain that the school is one of your top choices, but financial aid (in the form of scholarships) will play a significant role in where you decide to attend ls. If you have any other scholarship (preferably from a peer school) that would drastically help your cause. If not, it's still worth a try.

msbeautifulbasham

Bronze

Post by msbeautifulbasham » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:34 am

Silly question, but what would be an appropriate subject line of an email asking for more money?

jl2032

Bronze

Post by jl2032 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:36 am

On all my correspondence with everyone at the law schools, I put my name and LSAC # as the subject.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:37 am

I think I just put "Merit Aid" in the subject line. PM me if you want some help with writing a negotiation letter.

dreman510

Bronze

Post by dreman510 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:37 am

jl2032 wrote:On all my correspondence with everyone at the law schools, I put my name and LSAC # as the subject.
Cant go wrong with THIS.
or you could do "Question"
Definitely cant hurt to try-youve already been accepted

cardnal124

Bronze

Post by cardnal124 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:38 am

$$$$$

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:41 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pepsi

New

Post by pepsi » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:50 am

kazu wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 22&t=79373

Will answer all of your questions.
Thank you for posting this. This confused me more though, because it addresses students that are above the medians, splitters URMs and people with peer offers. I am none of these things :(

Thank you everyone for the help

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:55 am

msbeautifulbasham wrote:Silly question, but what would be an appropriate subject line of an email asking for more money?
GIMME MONEY BITCHE$!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:57 am

Maybe I'm in a small minority on this one, but I'm with pepsi on this one. I didn't find this article all that helpful when I first saw it, mostly because there is little about actually writing the letter and approaching the schools. For me, the hardest part of negotiation was framing the letter so that I came off as appreciative of the initial offer, but still confident enough that they took me seriously.

The main thrust of the entire Church article was: negotiating works best when you have leverage, but even if you don't, you should still try because the worst they can say is no. Seems like a common sense no-brainer to me. Maybe I'm just too math/formula ignorant to really understand the rest of what is going on in that article haha. :D

dreman510

Bronze

Post by dreman510 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:57 am

Vincent Vega wrote:
msbeautifulbasham wrote:Silly question, but what would be an appropriate subject line of an email asking for more money?
GIMME MONEY BITCHE$!
I believe the politically correct way of saying it is BIATCH

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pepsi

New

Post by pepsi » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:01 am

romothesavior wrote:I think I just put "Merit Aid" in the subject line. PM me if you want some help with writing a negotiation letter.
Thanks. I PM'd you :)

td6624

Silver

Post by td6624 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:05 am

romothesavior wrote:

Maybe I'm in a small minority on this one, but I'm with pepsi on this one. I didn't find this article all that helpful when I first saw it, mostly because there is little about actually writing the letter and approaching the schools. For me, the hardest part of negotiation was framing the letter so that I came off as appreciative of the initial offer, but still confident enough that they took me seriously.

The main thrust of the entire Church article was: negotiating works best when you have leverage, but even if you don't, you should still try because the worst they can say is no. Seems like a common sense no-brainer to me. Maybe I'm just too math/formula ignorant to really understand the rest of what is going on in that article haha. :D
Personally, I don't think schools care that much about how you write the letter, as long as you don't sound like a jackass.

"Mr./Ms. _____

I just wanted to let you know that I recently received a scholarship from ________ totaling ________. I just wanted to keep the admissions office updated on my situation.

Thanks,
__________"

Granted, this is negotiating from a starting point of 0 at UCLA, where they are pretty clear about their openness to negotiating. So maybe it's different at other places. But it worked fine for me.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:22 am

pepsi wrote:

Thank you for posting this. This confused me more though, because it addresses students that are above the medians, splitters URMs and people with peer offers. I am none of these things :(

Thank you everyone for the help
It's a comprehensive summary, so parts of it may not be applicable to you personally. I do think it provides good advice on what your chances roughly are of obtaining scholarships, and how to leverage your position. If memory serves me right it also shows a rough draft of what you're email should look like, and who to contact first (and how).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”