McGeorge or USF...What should I do? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
star10

New

McGeorge or USF...What should I do?

Post by star10 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:58 pm

Hey everyone...

I'd be curious on people's input, so here goes....

I'm trying to choose between USF and McGeorge currently. I want to stay in Northern CA and work in the bay area after graduation. McGeorge gave me $25k plus books (no GPA requirement) and USF gave me $0. I have a lot of debt from undergrad, about 50k, so McGeorge would be the more sane/responsible choice financially.

Problem is I'm not crazy about Sacramento (I'm from there) and don't want to get stuck there forever if that's the only place I can find a job after graduation. I really want to work in the Bay Area after I graduate so I'm wondering if the enormous amount of debt would be offset by an increased ability to find a job in the Bay Area after graduating from USF.

Any advice helps, thanks in advance :)

jks289

Silver

Re: McGeorge or USF...What should I do?

Post by jks289 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:00 pm

Considering the schools you would have to be really crazy not to take the money. The odds of landing a decent job in SF out of either of these schools is low, even if you're in the upper part of your class (Sorry, that is just the reality). I'd do McGeorge and then work like hell to score something in SF during the summers.

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:43 pm

star10 wrote:Hey everyone...

I'd be curious on people's input, so here goes....

I'm trying to choose between USF and McGeorge currently. I want to stay in Northern CA and work in the bay area after graduation. McGeorge gave me $25k plus books (no GPA requirement) and USF gave me $0. I have a lot of debt from undergrad, about 50k, so McGeorge would be the more sane/responsible choice financially.

Problem is I'm not crazy about Sacramento (I'm from there) and don't want to get stuck there forever if that's the only place I can find a job after graduation. I really want to work in the Bay Area after I graduate so I'm wondering if the enormous amount of debt would be offset by an increased ability to find a job in the Bay Area after graduating from USF.

Any advice helps, thanks in advance :)
Wow, you got $25k a year from McGeorge with no GPA stipulations?...and nothing from USF? I wanna trade!

I think you have to go with McGeorge. The scholarship offer is pretty sweet (no stipulations...nice), the COL is cheap even though it sucks "staying".

With $50k in student loans already, I think you have to go McGeorge, where you're going to save at LEAST $75k (plus the couple thousand in books the first year, plus, arguably, a couple thousand a year in COL).

If you go USF with no money, you're student loan burden post graduation will be over $200k...

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:48 pm

+1

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:49 pm

Go to McGeorge. With your options, your primary concerns should be minimizing debt and maximizing your chances of finding any job, whether that's in SF or Sactown. McGeorge and UCD pretty much own the Sac market, and a lot of UCD grads go to SF, so McGeorge isn't a bad option for its rank.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

eth3n

Bronze

Post by eth3n » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:58 pm

I hate to get anecdotal, McG isn't an amazing school, you will likely end up in sac, but sac public sector job that gives trial experience is often a step to getting firm jobs in sac or in the city.

Get some trial exp (DA/PD especially), there will be a chance to move to SF at some time in your future (if you actually network).

Take the money and McG

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:17 am

You could ask USF for some money while bringing up the fact you got a pretty sweet offer from McGeorge. I doubt USF will come anywhere close to what McGeorge offered, but it's worth a shot if you're willing to go to USF with a small scholly. If not then I would go with UOP.

congrats on both schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”