Arizona v Arizona State Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Yellowcard

New

Arizona v Arizona State

Post by Yellowcard » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:54 pm

I could see myself living in Arizona or the SouthWest. However, I would very much like to pursue a career in BigLaw. I'm going to assume that neither of these degrees travel far out of Arizona, but from what I understand they both dominate the Phoenix/Tucson markets. So with all that being said, how do I decide and what should sway me in one direction or the other? I got more money to AZ but AZ State is naturally cheaper. I will have residency in both after my 1L.

cLams

Bronze

Re: Arizona v Arizona State

Post by cLams » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:59 pm

Yellowcard wrote:I could see myself living in Arizona or the SouthWest. However, I would very much like to pursue a career in BigLaw. I'm going to assume that neither of these degrees travel far out of Arizona, but from what I understand they both dominate the Phoenix/Tucson markets. So with all that being said, how do I decide and what should sway me in one direction or the other? I got more money to AZ but AZ State is naturally cheaper. I will have residency in both after my 1L.
You are definitely right about both schools having little pull outside of the Southwest, but I think your best chance would be with UA. While ASU is cheaper, I think you're getting a better bargain with UA because the degree travels further, and the median starting salary is higher. I live in Phoenix now and am also potentially facing this decision. If i do stay in state, I am 90% positive I will head down south to Tucson. UA graduates are also extremely competitive in the Phoenix market. Hope it helps!

Yellowcard

New

Post by Yellowcard » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:04 pm

Is it truly as hard as they claim it is to gain residency? As far as I can tell you only need to be in AZ for 12 months in a row before you can claim residency. So move down in early August and then when 2L roles around I should get in-state. Right?

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:07 pm

Girls at ASU are hotter. That is the only significant difference.

cLams

Bronze

Post by cLams » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:20 pm

Yellowcard wrote:Is it truly as hard as they claim it is to gain residency? As far as I can tell you only need to be in AZ for 12 months in a row before you can claim residency. So move down in early August and then when 2L roles around I should get in-state. Right?
I didn't think it was at all until I started reading posts on TLS. From my understanding you have three options:

To become a resident of Arizona for tuition purposes, three basic requirements must be met:

Twelve Months Continuous Physical Presence
An adult person (18 years or older) person must physically reside in the state for the twelve consecutive months immediately preceding the term for which resident classification is requested.

Intent to Establish a Domicile
Objective evidence of intent to be a resident of Arizona is demonstrated by the absence of ties to the former state of residence for twelve consecutive months. Objective evidence of intent to be a resident of Arizona is further demonstrated by the following:

Date of and state in which Motor Vehicle is registered
Date of and state issuing driver’s license
Employment history, including assured future permanent employment in Arizona
Transfer of major banking services to Arizona
Applications for loans, scholarships, grants-in-aid, or other such assistance
Date and state in which registered to vote
Place of prior attendance in educational institutions, including high schools, and any information held by such schools affecting domicile
Marital status and work record of registrant and spouse
Change in permanent address on all pertinent records
State in which registered with Selective Service
Military records
Ownership of real property
All other material of whatever kind or source which may have a bearing on determining domicile or resident status
Financial Independence
For purposes of residency determination, financial independence means a student’s ability to meet his or her own expenses from self-generated funds under his or her control. A student will generally be considered financially independent if he or she is:

A veteran of the U.S. military, or
Not claimed as an income tax deduction by his or her parents or any other individual for two tax years, and has demonstrated objective evidence of self-support for the two years immediately preceding the semester for which resident classification is requested.
A student must couple his or her physical presence within Arizo
na with financial independence and objective evidence of intent to make Arizona his or her permanent home.

http://www.abor.asu.edu/1_the_regents/r ... 0residency

I think as long as you can show that you intend to stay in Arizona after school, you shouldn't have too much of a problem.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Close Diamond

Bronze

Post by Close Diamond » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:31 pm

After seeing the recently posted data regarding Biglaw and clerkships (http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=108528) it seems that UA is certainly a better choice for someone interested in either of those areas. Still, even though the opportunity may be better at UA, breaking into either field is going to be tough at either school.

xiolablue

New

Post by xiolablue » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:51 pm

If you do not live in AZ for 12 consecutive months before you start school, you will never gain residency. I moved there a year before I planned to attend the Roger's School of Law (didnt actually end up going) precisely for this reason. My husband got his PHd from UA and never gained residency, even though he was employed in state, had leases there, and resided in state for 5+ years etc. You cannot even take a no-credit class at the community college for 1 year if you hope to have residency when you start school. They are very strict, it is not like other states. Make sure you check with the admissions office about your residency before you factor that into your considerations.

mposner

New

Post by mposner » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:59 pm

I am an ASU 1L and had the same decision to make last year. I just wanted to let you know that the AZ schools use the same written policy for resident tuition, but interpret it differently. In other words, their policies are different so you should talk to both schools. I got instate residency at ASU and not UA (but ASU was my 1st choice over UA). I do have a friend working on gaining residency right now. It isn't easy, but I don't think it is impossible. I have friends down at UA. Really the two schools are comparable. I don't think UA has any real advantage, especially with how bad Phoenix biglaw is at the moment. Let me know if you have any questions. I can answer anything about ASU and general questions about UA since I did visit and did a ton of research last year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”