William Mitchell v. University of St. Thomas Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
markit8dude

New

William Mitchell v. University of St. Thomas

Post by markit8dude » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:51 pm

Need advice from fellow MNers. Iapplied to WM and UST and was accepted by both. I know that WM has a strong alumni base in comparison to UST, but I'd appreciate any objective advice on choosing between WM and UST (academics only...finances are not an issue for either school).

Thanks!

the_assassin

New

Re: William Mitchell v. University of St. Thomas

Post by the_assassin » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:46 pm

Money aside, choose WM.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:53 pm

markit8dude wrote:Need advice from fellow MNers. Iapplied to WM and UST and was accepted by both. I know that WM has a strong alumni base in comparison to UST, but I'd appreciate any objective advice on choosing between WM and UST (academics only...finances are not an issue for either school).

Thanks!
Isn't UST a pretty new new school?

If so,

WM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>UST (75% guaranteed scholarship)

I know you may not have been offered a scholarship, or care to have one, but this is how the schools would likely compare.

And while you may not think so, that is all you need to know.

the_assassin

New

Post by the_assassin » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:08 pm

Isn't UST a pretty new new school?

If so,

WM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>UST (75% guaranteed scholarship)

I know you may not have been offered a scholarship, or care to have one, but this is how the schools would likely compare.

And while you may not think so, that is all you need to know.
I would say thats a little extreme, but not much.

markit8dude

New

Post by markit8dude » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:13 am

Thanks for the feedback. I think the concensus I've come across in multiple forums is that WM's strong alumni base in the cities is hard to offset, but that St. Thomas has come a long way in a short time and will catch up with WM in regards to reputation the more alumni they graduate. What are WM/UST niches in the local legal market? Is one more public interest/government focused than the other? I know that UST mission statement presents a strong public interest vibe, but I've heard when it's all said and done they are a bit more corporate focused than anything else. I'm looking more for placement in small-to-mid size firms (not interested in BigLaw) focusing on regular business law or workers comp defense.

Thanks again.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”