SMU$$ vs Tulane$$ vs BU$$ Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

SMU$$ vs Tulane$$ vs BU$$

Tulane 25k
11%
SMU 30k
33%
BU 25k
56%

Total votes: 36

miami..

New

SMU$$ vs Tulane$$ vs BU$$

Post by miami.. » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:31 pm

Hi, I was wondering which of these schools would put me in the best position long term in their respective cities/markets for a legal job besides PI. Basically which carries the most weight in its market.

In addition, do you think I'd be able to leverage the BU money which only requires to remain in good standing to gain some more money from either SMU or Tulane or get rid of the irritating gpa requirement at Tulane?

Thanks!

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Re: SMU$$ vs Tulane$$ vs BU$$

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:34 pm

miami.. wrote:Hi, I was wondering which of these schools would put me in the best position long term in their respective cities/markets for a legal job besides PI. Basically which carries the most weight in its market.

In addition, do you think I'd be able to leverage the BU money which only requires to remain in good standing to gain some more money from either SMU or Tulane or get rid of the irritating gpa requirement at Tulane?

Thanks!
The "most weight in its market?"

All of them are titans in their home markets.

I guess comparatively, Tulane doesn't have a peer in Louisiana while SMU has U of Texas and BU has BC and Harvard.

I don't know if they would remove the requirement, but they would likely offer more money.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:26 pm

does anyone know if how easy it is to get more $ out of Tulane? Do they tend to do that?

I got the 25k as well from them but would like to get 5k more if possible.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:37 pm

gwuorbust wrote:does anyone know if how easy it is to get more $ out of Tulane? Do they tend to do that?

I got the 25k as well from them but would like to get 5k more if possible.
I'm not sure. If you have acceptances/offers from other schools, I would suggest that you "suggest" that you it is not quite economically feasible to attend - but if the school was generous enough to up the offer by $5,000 - you would attend.

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:45 pm

Alot of Tulane grads leave the LA market. Overall they have more name rep than LSU but since so many grads leave they may not dominate LA as much as you would expect.

SMU dominates Dallas and the only school in the state that beats it is UT-Austin with Baylor just behind SMU. I would go to SMU if I were you. Texas is a bigger market than LA and that market seems to not have been hit as bad as many others around the country.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:56 pm

darknightbegins wrote:Alot of Tulane grads leave the LA market. Overall they have more name rep than LSU but since so many grads leave they may not dominate LA as much as you would expect.

SMU dominates Dallas and the only school in the state that beats it is UT-Austin with Baylor just behind SMU. I would go to SMU if I were you. Texas is a bigger market than LA and that market seems to not have been hit as bad as many others around the country.
idk if Tulane grads take most of the best jobs in LA. Since 70% of Tulane grads leave LA I suspect that most of the top of the class is no longer in LA. I would then expect Tulane to have a smaller presence in LA compared to other local LA schools simply because of self-selection away from LA.

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:10 am

gwuorbust wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:Alot of Tulane grads leave the LA market. Overall they have more name rep than LSU but since so many grads leave they may not dominate LA as much as you would expect.

idk if Tulane grads take most of the best jobs in LA. Since 70% of Tulane grads leave LA I suspect that most of the top of the class is no longer in LA. I would then expect Tulane to have a smaller presence in LA compared to other local LA schools simply because of self-selection away from LA.
This may be the case but the result may be a smaller Alumni network to work with than LSU or even Loyola New Orleans. That is why, out of these three, I would rock SMU over Tulane and BU. SMU has the Dallas market and places pretty well in the state of Texas with only UT-Austin being a clear cut power above SMU. Also the Texas legal market is bigger than LA.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”