Indiana Univ: Bloomington VS. William and Mary Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

IU:B or W&M?

Indiana University: Maurer School of Law
24%
College of William and Mary Law School
76%

Total votes: 33

Snailmail

New

Indiana Univ: Bloomington VS. William and Mary

Post by Snailmail » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:06 pm

Which school would you choose, assuming the following:

You do not want to do BigLaw.
Region doesn't matter. You wouldn't mind working or living in Ind or Va.
The two schools would cost the same, including cost of living.

Explain your decision below.

chicoalto0649

Silver

Re: Indiana Univ: Bloomington VS. William and Mary

Post by chicoalto0649 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:13 pm

Snailmail wrote:Which school would you choose, assuming the following:

You do not want to do BigLaw.
Region doesn't matter. You wouldn't mind working or living in Ind or Va.
The two schools would cost the same, including cost of living.

Explain your decision below.
I havent been to bloomington or williamsburg but from what ive heard IUB has much more of a campus-y/collegetown feel with some funthings to do in your free time. I heard Wiliamsburg is a pretty depressing tourist trap . Indiana and VA are both pretty crappy states. Atleast at iub youre close to indy which is somewhat of a nifty city. Williamsburg is in the middle of nowhere

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:11 am

I wouldn't say they are both crapy states. Virginia isn't THAT bad...I guess I need to get a definition of what you consider good states. Personally I hate the cold so I wouldn't consider going to a state North of Virginia. The Sotheast and Southwest are much more comfortable for my living styles but this is beside the point.

Which school would I go to? Hmm probably William and Mary. Why? The school has the most history of any law school in the country (After all it is the oldest). I would think that gives its alumni network one of the largest in the country. Also I would take the climate in Virginia over Indy. As for the city itself...yeah it sucks. However its only a few hours away from DC and from the beach from what I've read, so while Williamsburg is a pit, on the weekends you can easily find some fun. Besides, as a law student your week days will probably be pretty filled up anyway.

On a personal note, I applied to both of these schools. Waitlisted at Bloomington and still under review at W&M.

richmondguy3000

New

Post by richmondguy3000 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:21 am

IU is ranked more highly than W&M, but W&M despite of its low ranking seems to have a lot more national acclaim and prestige. Despite its ranking outside of T20-T25, the students indicate the ease of finding employment, both in biglaw and other areas.
A lot of entities hiring exclusively at T14, for example Harvard, Stanford, Yale, UVA and Duke (e.g., CIA OCC) also stop by at W&M for an OCI visit. Overall, despite 5 points gap in the rankings I think you will be better off with W&M on ur resume in the long term - public perception of W&M degree will overshadow IU greatly. W&M also seems to have a very laid back and non-competitive law school student body, 3.3 curve (similar to T14) and one A+ given out in every class (occasional 4.3 might help u out a lot). I have been admitted at W&M and even though at first it was not my top choice, after extensive research I have a great feel about this school and will most likely be part of the '13.

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:39 am

Congrads Richguy. I would defintely rep William and Mary. Great school and it provides you with a variety of opportunities after you leave from a decent BigLaw shot to govt work to everything in between. I'd rock WM in a heart beat.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”