Cost or Rank? Advice needed. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
fightinirish

New

Cost or Rank? Advice needed.

Post by fightinirish » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:44 am

I am not picky about where in the country I end up, but I am from Oklahoma initially. My SO's career is likely to take us to a major city, but just about any will do. I am relatively debt averse given the economy. I guess the moral is that I'd like to spend as little money as possible while keeping national employment options open. I'd really appreciate any input!

Oklahoma ($$$$) can the top 10% still find jobs in other cities?
Tulane ($$$)
Duke
UVA
GW
WUSL
WL at Columbia and Georgetown

LSATfromNC

Silver

Re: Cost or Rank? Advice needed.

Post by LSATfromNC » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:46 am

fightinirish wrote:I am not picky about where in the country I end up, but I am from Oklahoma initially. My SO's career is likely to take us to a major city, but just about any will do. I am relatively debt averse given the economy. I guess the moral is that I'd like to spend as little money as possible while keeping national employment options open. I'd really appreciate any input!

Oklahoma ($$$$) can the top 10% still find jobs in other cities?
Tulane ($$$)
Duke
UVA
GW
WUSL
WL at Columbia and Georgetown
If these are your options then you can pick only one of your two criteria.

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:46 am

If you want flexibility and national job prospects, go with Duke or UVA and stomach the debt.

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:54 am

Surprised you're in at Duke and UVA and no money from WUSTL or GW. I think you'll definitely get money from WUSTL and maybe GW if your app was good enough for two T10 admits.

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:56 am

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:58 am

Duke/Virginia - if you are fine with $180,000+ debt (not including interest)

Tulane - if you are debt adverse

None of the other schools are good compromises.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:59 am

kittenmittons wrote:If you want flexibility and national job prospects, go with Duke or UVA and stomach the debt.
TITCR.

None of the other schools on your list will afford you "national" job prospects without a very high class rank (read: top 10% at GW or WUSTL)

Ethan Edwards

New

Post by Ethan Edwards » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:00 pm

What type of law do you want to practice? Are you a money slut?

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:01 pm

mistergoft wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:If you want flexibility and national job prospects, go with Duke or UVA and stomach the debt.
TITCR.

None of the other schools on your list will afford you "national" job prospects without a very high class rank (read: top 10% at GW or WUSTL)
Even if you're top 10% at one of those other schools, it will be more difficult to get your foot in the door without the name recognition.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:02 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
TITCR.

Even if you're top 10% at one of those other schools, it will be more difficult to get your foot in the door without the name recognition.
I think I would rather be top 10% at either of those schools than median at Dook or UVA ite.
hth.

Edit: not to suggest that anyone should ever go to either of those schools on the basis that they think they have a better shot at being top 10% than if they attend either of the T10s aforementioned.

fightinirish

New

Post by fightinirish » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:27 pm

I haven't heard on scholarships from WUSL or GW but hopefully you all are right! I guess I have a lot of prioirties to sort out.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:39 pm

If you got into Duke and UVA, you will get big scholarship money from WUSTL. They are coming out with their scholarships in the next week or two.

WUSTL would be a good compromise between your two criteria. You will avoid the hefty debt of the T-14s, but you will also have better job prospects than some of the other schools you listed. WUSTL is certainly not Duke or UVA, but you will avoid racking up 150-200k of debt. I'd consider WUSTL or GW (depending on $$$) if you are trying to find a compromise between low debt and a good school. But, if you really want to go to the best school and get the best job prospects, Duke or UVA all the way.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”