PSU vs Villanova vs Pitt Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
stayway

Silver

PSU vs Villanova vs Pitt

Post by stayway » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:22 am

Which law school is best for Philly/DC/NYC Big law? Alumni networks? OCIs?

am060459

Silver

Re: PSU vs Villanova vs Pitt

Post by am060459 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:26 am

dont know but i hope PSU for NYC (thinking of going there).

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:36 am

I mean ranking wise Villanova tops them...but don't know if that's relevant...

PoliticalJunkie

Bronze

Post by PoliticalJunkie » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:49 am

Villanova for better phil-specific opportunities. PSU to take advantage of a wider regional market sicne they tend to move their graduates around (no major market served by Dickinson)

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:53 am

nooyyllib wrote:Which law school is best for Philly/DC/NYC Big law? Alumni networks? OCIs?
Villanova would probably place much better in Philly. They also have a brand new $70M building, complete with it's own parking garage. Pitt tends to place in Western PA, and PSU in Central PA. They are all pretty regional schools. None will be terribly great for any kind of Big Law placement. PSU has a great alumni network throughout the state.

I know people currently attending all three and none of their classmates have done really well at OCI. In fact, at Pitt and PSU their OCI didn't really net a lot. Those that have jobs found them through networking or their own searches. Villanova had decent placement within Philly but I don't know that any of them were biglaw. Most were smaller firms or work for solo practitioners.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:00 am

sigh.

i dont know if this is true but why do i keep thinking that if i cant place big law, it'll be almost impossible to pay off my law school debt?

Is it safe to assume Villanova being a better school than the rest?

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:33 am

nooyyllib wrote:sigh.

i dont know if this is true but why do i keep thinking that if i cant place big law, it'll be almost impossible to pay off my law school debt?

Is it safe to assume Villanova being a better school than the rest?
I would say that is not a safe assumption. These schools are viewed as peer institutions. They are ranked very close and switch from year to year.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:58 pm

even Pitt? I know Nova and PSU are similar but Pitt?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:11 pm

nooyyllib wrote:even Pitt? I know Nova and PSU are similar but Pitt?
They are peer schools, but they feed different markets in PA.
Pitt - Pittsburgh
Nova - Philly
PSU - Central PA

If you want Philly, of these three choices, you go with Nova.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KimmyGibbler

New

Post by KimmyGibbler » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:13 pm

Why isn't Temple on your list? It is far and away the best for Philly placement, and you don't have to pay Villanova prices (assuming you are in-state)

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:22 pm

KimmyGibbler wrote:
Why isn't Temple on your list? It is far and away the best for Philly placement, and you don't have to pay Villanova prices (assuming you are in-state)
1. I'm not in-state
2. I'm on Temple's waitlist
3. I'm just trying to find my next best option just in case I dont get admitted into GW from their waitlist.
4. The order of location for me is DC and then NYC then Philly.

Unfortunately, I didn't apply to any schools in NYC because of the cost and other reasons.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:18 pm

From what I understand they are all fairly regional with Pitt dominating (surprise surprise) pittsburgh and Nova/Temple competing for Philly with UPenn dominating. Pitt has some minor pull in the east and Penn State has some decent pull in the midwest. I wouldn't depend on that though, unless you're top 10/15%, just assume you're staying in the region.

KimmyGibbler

New

Post by KimmyGibbler » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:13 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:From what I understand they are all fairly regional with Pitt dominating (surprise surprise) pittsburgh and Nova/Temple competing for Philly with UPenn dominating. Pitt has some minor pull in the east and Penn State has some decent pull in the midwest. I wouldn't depend on that though, unless you're top 10/15%, just assume you're staying in the region.
UPenn grads are likely the most saught after in Philly, but so many alumni go to NYC and DC that there aren't many left for Temple/Nova alumni to compete with

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:35 pm

KimmyGibbler wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:From what I understand they are all fairly regional with Pitt dominating (surprise surprise) pittsburgh and Nova/Temple competing for Philly with UPenn dominating. Pitt has some minor pull in the east and Penn State has some decent pull in the midwest. I wouldn't depend on that though, unless you're top 10/15%, just assume you're staying in the region.
UPenn grads are likely the most saught after in Philly, but so many alumni go to NYC and DC that there aren't many left for Temple/Nova alumni to compete with
So it's safe to say Nova has a good market in Philly?

redginseng

New

Post by redginseng » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:44 pm

Back in the old days, Villanova and Temple grads competed for Philly market. This was because it was easy for Penn grads to secure jobs NYC market and most of them left Philly. I'm not sure how difficult it became for Penn grads to leave Philly ITE, but if more of them stay in Philly, it will make it that more difficult to get Philly jobs for Villanova and Temple.

Having said that, out of Villanova, Pitt, and PSU, definitely Villanova for Philly and NYC market.

But probably Pitt will give you the best job prospect out of the three, by focusing on Pittsburgh market.

sooner25

New

Post by sooner25 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:51 pm

1.Nova/Temple
2.PSU
3.Pitt

redginseng

New

Post by redginseng » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:56 pm

1.Nova/Temple
2.PSU
3.Pitt
Not a credited response.

Can't rank between Nova/Temple and Pitt without talking about which region because they serve different market.

Further, it's more like
1. Nova/Temple/Pitt
3. PSU

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:07 pm

how big is the Pittsburgh market?

i guess this isnt an accurate indicator of the market size but how much do average biglaw associates get paid out of law school?

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:28 pm

--LinkRemoved--
-sorry, this can still be helpful, but the link didn't work out exactly as I had hoped.

--LinkRemoved--

It's not huge. But K&L Gates, and Reed Smith are headquartered in Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh has several firms that pay 100k+ and a couple that pay 160K. There are not many of these positions available, and Pitt grads share them with Duquesne grads. I love Pittsburgh and will attend in the fall, but understand it's much much smaller than Philly. I think people often misread Pittsburgh for a bigger city than it is.

It's the 60th largest city in the country.

Good Luck with your decision!

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:30 pm

how is diversity in PITT?

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:36 pm

None of these schools will place particularly well in NYC or DC. Villanova places the best in Philly, definitely. I would go to Pitt if you were interested in working somewhere between Harrisburg and Cleveland. Penn State is as good, perhaps better, than both of the other schools, but it's a newcomer and doesn't have much of a clear market yet. If you want to work in a major city, I wouldn't go to Penn State.

I think Villanova sounds like your best fit.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:39 pm

nooyyllib wrote:how is diversity in PITT?
The UG was very diverse with a strong international presence. The campus is covered with wonderful ethnic restaurants. You should go visit.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:52 pm

After four years at UVa, I am just too fed up with the whole "wanna be southern" aspect along with the ignorance of some students. Yes, racism is still very alive. Don't get me wrong, I love my alma mater.

Yeah, that's basically the reason why I'm asking about diversity for Pitt. Also I have almost zero knowledge of the area/school.

And yes, I plan on visiting these three schools but I just wanted to know something about each of them before I visit.

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:52 pm

redginseng wrote:i guess this isnt an accurate indicator of the market size but how much do average biglaw associates get paid out of law school?
about 70-120K depending on the BigLaw Firm. Everyone else is making 45-60K with 50 median...thats in the city. PPl working outside of the city in PI work and that are more like 40K. But keep in mind COL in Pittsburgh is Ridiculously cheap.
redginseng wrote:But probably Pitt will give you the best job prospect out of the three, by focusing on Pittsburgh market.
---Yes, +1. All of these schools are regional. Pitt has the least competition in its job market (only having to compete with Duquesne and somewhat Case)

also, just my two cents. Everyone keeps saying PSU has the central PA market. What market is in central PA? I guess Harrisburg, but honestly have you been to state college or even carlisle where dickinson is? There's nothing around there and thats why I think PSU is the worst choice.

Also, Pitt is usually pretty good about giving money. (usually 16K per year for out of state ppl)

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:55 pm

also, I know that Pitt is very diverse. Not just the law school but the UG, all the other professional schools and the city of Pittsburgh in general. As far as the market, theres a big to do with healthcare, most liekly because of the UPMC healthcare system.
Last edited by pjo on Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”