What would you do? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Joga Bonito

Bronze

Re: What would you do?

Post by Joga Bonito » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:47 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Joga Bonito wrote:Right Ivy league engineering is a joke. Well when I look up famous engineers or ones who work for the government or some big corporation they usually went to an ivy league, Mit, Stanford, Berkley or uhhh an ivy league so it seems like maybe what you say is not true and at least some employers do care about pedigree.
the University of Chicago(which they think is a public school).

And yes I think any sane person would rather have an ee degree from Harvard.
Sorry but Harvard EE is TTT. Its not good, and you saying whenever you look up a famous engineer they are from the IVY league doesn't mean shit, because its not true. The ivy league for years looked down on practical education like engineering because it was thought of as low class, while instead the land grant public school system was built to produce engineers.

You are misrepresenting what I'm saying when you include, MIT, Stanford and Berkeley, because they aren't ivy league. They are three of the best engineering programs in the world.

UIUC is a significantly better engineering school than any of the Ivy league except Cornell.

In the engineering world UIUC pedigree > Harvard engineering. You may not believe it but its true.

Those who could get into Harvard but want to do engineering go to MIT or Stanford.

I’ll agree with you on one thing, I guess, those who get into Harvard but want to do engineering do got to MIT or Stanford, Caltech etc. instead but they sure as hell don’t go to UofI instead. I mean UIllinois>Harvard wtf. That’s my main point and looked at faculty at MIT etc. and I did find faculty with degrees from some state schools and more than I might have thought(although most were from MIT, Caltech, Stanford, Berkeley), however what I did not find was more faculty in engineering departments at MIT with degrees from UofI than Harvard.

Also, MIT, Stanford, Caltech even Berkeley are generally viewed as being more on par or on par with Harvard in general and UofI is not.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:51 pm

Joga Bonito wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Joga Bonito wrote:Right Ivy league engineering is a joke. Well when I look up famous engineers or ones who work for the government or some big corporation they usually went to an ivy league, Mit, Stanford, Berkley or uhhh an ivy league so it seems like maybe what you say is not true and at least some employers do care about pedigree.

Sorry but Harvard EE is TTT. Its not good, and you saying whenever you look up a famous engineer they are from the IVY league doesn't mean shit, because its not true. The ivy league for years looked down on practical education like engineering because it was thought of as low class, while instead the land grant public school system was built to produce engineers.

You are misrepresenting what I'm saying when you include, MIT, Stanford and Berkeley, because they aren't ivy league. They are three of the best engineering programs in the world.

UIUC is a significantly better engineering school than any of the Ivy league except Cornell.

In the engineering world UIUC pedigree > Harvard engineering. You may not believe it but its true.

Those who could get into Harvard but want to do engineering go to MIT or Stanford.

I’ll agree with you on one thing, I guess, those who get into Harvard but want to do engineering do got to MIT or Stanford, Caltech etc. instead but they sure as hell don’t go to UofI instead. I mean UIllinois>Harvard wtf. That’s my main point and looked at faculty at MIT etc. and I did find faculty with degrees from some state schools and more than I might have thought(although most were from MIT, Caltech, Stanford, Berkeley), however what I did not find was more faculty in engineering departments at MIT with degrees from UofI than Harvard.

Also, MIT, Stanford, Caltech even Berkeley are generally viewed as being more on par or on par with Harvard in general and UofI is not.
This is like arguing NYU law cannot be better than UPenn law because UPenn >> NYU.

UIUC engineering > Harvard engineering whether you believe it or not. Michigan > Harvard in engineering. Same with a whole list of schools. Harvard engineering sucks.

vyelps

New

Post by vyelps » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:52 pm

romothesavior wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:I think you'll get in at Vandy, but I would think UIUC may offer better Chicago prospects, maybe. If I was in your situation I'd go to UIUC or a T10 (if you're admitted), which seems to be your current plan.
I thought I would get in at Vandy too, but somehow I still haven't heard a word from them. Its been three stinkin months! Even if I do get in, I don't expect much $, so I don't think I could see VULS jumping over WUSTL or UIUC on my board.

I think my only real hangup with UIUC is the fact that I have lived in this area my entire life. My family has lived in the same city since I was born, I attend UG about 60 miles away from that, and U of I is about 45 minutes away from here. I see the chance to be in a city (WUSTL) or to head out to the East Coast (Cornell) as a chance to set out on my own and do my own thing. Corny, I know, but it is still a factor that weighs heavily on my mind.
I totally understand the sentiment, I really do- but let me tell ya that 1L can be stressful and being around a familiar area and close to family can make it a bit easier.

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:02 pm

I didn't read the thread. But based on original post: WUSTL with $$$. You have great options so you really can't go wrong. Good luck!!

Joga Bonito

Bronze

Post by Joga Bonito » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:09 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Joga Bonito wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

This is like arguing NYU law cannot be better than UPenn law because UPenn >> NYU.

UIUC engineering > Harvard engineering whether you believe it or not. Michigan > Harvard in engineering. Same with a whole list of schools. Harvard engineering sucks.
Well since you brought it up, UPenn's big law placement is better than NYU's nationwide even if only by a bit.
http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 7904900045

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ApexChaser

Bronze

Post by ApexChaser » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:44 am

I would say WUSTL. It's a strong school and you'll be happier than forcing yourself through another 3 year in Illinois.
Desert Fox wrote: UIUC engineering > Harvard engineering whether you believe it or not. Michigan > Harvard in engineering. Same with a whole list of schools.
Backing up Desert Fox on this one. The usual schools talked about in the Berkeley Engineering halls: MIT, Caltech, Berkeley, Stanford, Cornell and UIUC among others. Like it or not, Harvard Engineering does not have the same prestige factor in the engineering world. Tell somebody you have a graduate engineering degree from the aforementioned schools AND an MBA or JD from Harvard though... and you're pretty much golden.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”