Attending Law School at USC but practicing in the Northeast? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jrstephens1991

Bronze

Attending Law School at USC but practicing in the Northeast?

Post by jrstephens1991 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 pm

If I were to attend USC but actually practice law in say NYC, would it make much of a difference? Weird I know, but it would seem like USC's reputation would carry over relatively easy even if I wanted actally practice elsewhere correct?

sfdreaming09

Bronze

Re: Attending Law School at USC but practicing in the Northeast?

Post by sfdreaming09 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:36 pm

if you want NYC, Fordham/Cornell would do better than USC.

postitnotes

Bronze

Post by postitnotes » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:37 pm

USC is pretty regional. Not a good move.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:04 am

Terrible idea. With USC numbers, you should be going to Fordham/BC/BU/GW for the Northeast.

ScaredWorkedBored

Bronze

Post by ScaredWorkedBored » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:04 am

USC has relatlvely decent total placement. Most of that comes from being one of the two major schools in the second largest city in the United States. You want a job in the first largest city that happens to be 3000 miles away.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:23 am

sfdreaming09 wrote:if you want NYC, Fordham/Cornell would do better than USC.
Lol @ having fordham and cornell in the same category.....

Anyway, to the OP, don't go to USC If you have to practice in NYC; however, if you go in okay with practicing in CA and have the goal of practicing in NYC, then you can go NYC if you end up at the top of your class and stay in CA if you're median.

ScaredWorkedBored

Bronze

Post by ScaredWorkedBored » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:27 am

heyguys wrote:
For a good job in NYC, Fordham is excellent. Certainly a much better option for that goal than USC.

*waits for Opera to sweep into the thread extolling the virtues of Fordham*

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:30 am

ScaredWorkedBored wrote:
heyguys wrote:
For a good job in NYC, Fordham is excellent. Certainly a much better option for that goal than USC.

*waits for Opera to sweep into the thread extolling the virtues of Fordham*
Fordham would certainly be better for NYC--wasn't arguing that point. Nevertheless, I just don't think that Cornell and Fordham belong in the same category of schools as far as this goes (it would be like if he had said Fordham/Cornell/Columbia--three entirely different categories of schools as far as jobs go, imo).

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:44 am

The Trojan Family for connections is huge....in Southern California. If you want to practice in the east, an eastern law school would be much better.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:28 am

If you have strong ties to NYC (such as having attended high school and college there, and having family living in the area), then it might be easier to break into the market with a USC degree. Whatever the case, you would probably need to do some legwork to get that done, in addition to having top grades, etc. The fact is, USC has strong placement in southern California, and most firms at OCI will likely be from California.

If you really have your heart set on NYC, you might be better off attending a school in that region (Columbia, NYU, Cornell, Fordham, Cardozo, etc.) or one that has great placement there (like most any of the T10).

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:29 am

ScaredWorkedBored wrote:For a good job in NYC, Fordham is excellent. Certainly a much better option for that goal than USC
Yes, so long as you end up being in the top 1/3 at Fordham. Fordham grads are also a dime a dozen in NYC. It may be a better option, but I am not sure that it is quite as conclusive as you suggest. With strong ties to NYC, it will be much easier for you coming from USC.

OP, if you were admitted at USC, there is a chance that you will also be admitted at Cornell.

sfdreaming09

Bronze

Post by sfdreaming09 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:16 pm

heyguys wrote:

Anyway, to the OP, don't go to USC If you have to practice in NYC; however, if you go in okay with practicing in CA and have the goal of practicing in NYC, then you can go NYC if you end up at the top of your class and stay in CA if you're median.
I wasn't putting Fordham and Cornell "in the same category." I meant that EITHER choice (Fordham or Cornell) would be superior to USC. NOT that Fordham and Cornell are "in the same category."

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:39 pm

sfdreaming09 wrote:
heyguys wrote:

I wasn't putting Fordham and Cornell "in the same category." I meant that EITHER choice (Fordham or Cornell) would be superior to USC. NOT that Fordham and Cornell are "in the same category."
they are obviously in many of the same catagories
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beesknees

Bronze

Post by beesknees » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:46 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
ScaredWorkedBored wrote:For a good job in NYC, Fordham is excellent. Certainly a much better option for that goal than USC
Yes, so long as you end up being in the top 1/3 at Fordham. Fordham grads are also a dime a dozen in NYC. It may be a better option, but I am not sure that it is quite as conclusive as you suggest. With strong ties to NYC, it will be much easier for you coming from USC.

OP, if you were admitted at USC, there is a chance that you will also be admitted at Cornell.
Not quite sure I agree with that. USC is a regional school. By definition, most of the class' prospects will be in USC's west coast region. I bet you most NYC firms don't know (/care?) USC is ranked in the T20, but Fordham is T30.

I'd say that either one will require top grades and networking. Since you don't have a national school on your plate (assuming, since you didn't list it), then I would go for the home court advantage because the difference in ranking won't translate into much for your situation.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”