Honestly, how conservative is George Mason? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
carlkenneth

Bronze

Honestly, how conservative is George Mason?

Post by carlkenneth » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:24 pm

I've heard that GMU is pretty conservative, libertarian, etc. I'm just wondering if anyone can shed light on whether or not this is true and how it plays out in the classroom, student life, etc. I'm an LGBT URM and I have pretty liberal/progressive views (some would say left-wing radical).

Would I hate it there? How much would I stand out? Its one of the schools that I'm considering, but I fear that it'll be the worse three years of my life. Any insight would be appreciated (esp from any 1L lurkers)?

LawandOrder

Silver

Re: Honestly, how conservative is George Mason?

Post by LawandOrder » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:26 pm

George Mason is so conservative that Glenn Beck refused to apply.

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

I spoke to a graduate from there about applying. The first thing she said was "If you don't mind the generally right wing leaning of the place..." She described herself as apolitical and said everything else was fine.

They have a chapter of the ACLU on campus. You should email them and ask. http://www.law.gmu.edu/students/orgs/aclu
If your goal is to work in a politically related field nothing will hone your skills better than being in a minority position. In my years at two state schools, getting two BAs, I've never had a professor self identify as either a libertarian or a conservative. I've heard of them but never actually had a class with them. I read on a blog after the 2004 election they studied the FEC donation list of which law profs gave to bush and which to Kerry. It was about 98% to Kerry. So if you find a few conservative professors in one place that place will probably be considered relatively conservative and you would be one of a few lucky law students to actually get a diversity of opinion while in school.

USAO-vet

New

Post by USAO-vet » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:06 pm

Bump

Any more insight here? Tuition is cheap for in state and it's super convenient for me. Since I work in Alexandria and plan on attending an evening program, convenience is need. I'm considering Mason (over GW because of cost) if I don't get into Georgetown. Thoughts?

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:08 pm

I can't speak to GMU, but i'd imagine that it wouldn't really affect anything out of classroom discussion, mainly. Perhaps GMU ACS chapter will be smaller than other schools, but probably not else beyond that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:10 pm

I don't understand how this is a relevant consideration.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:16 pm

midwest17 wrote:I don't understand how this is a relevant consideration.
It should be a relevant consideration. By that I mean, anything that affects whether or not you will be happy at law school for 3 years is a relevant consideration. But people should probably not think that they're going to get a much different law school experience if they go to a conservative leaning school rather than a liberal leaning school. I think people are envisioning Liberty University, or one of the schools founded on religious ideology, when you should should be envisioning, perhaps, is a slight shift in attitude towards doctrines.

HYSenberg

Bronze

Post by HYSenberg » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:20 pm

Some people want to be surrounded by people with identical political beliefs for 3 years lol.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:22 pm

carlkenneth wrote:Its one of the schools that I'm considering, but I fear that it'll be the worse three years of my life.
You're considering paying tens, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars for a coin-flip* chance of actually practicing law when you graduate? (*it's actually <40% chance, since the school funded jobs there are pretty bad.)

This is like asking, "Should I cut off my hand? I worry that I'll have a harder time tying my shoes."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:31 pm

ph14 wrote:
It should be a relevant consideration. By that I mean, anything that affects whether or not you will be happy at law school for 3 years is a relevant consideration. But people should probably not think that they're going to get a much different law school experience if they go to a conservative leaning school rather than a liberal leaning school. I think people are envisioning Liberty University, or one of the schools founded on religious ideology, when you should should be envisioning, perhaps, is a slight shift in attitude towards doctrines.
If being around people with different opinions makes someone unhappy, should they really be a lawyer?

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:33 pm

midwest17 wrote:
ph14 wrote:
If being around people with different opinions makes someone unhappy, should they really be a lawyer?
I said that it should be a relevant consideration. Not that it should be dispositive.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:39 pm

ph14 wrote:
midwest17 wrote:
ph14 wrote:
I said that it should be a relevant consideration. Not that it should be dispositive.
Any relevant consideration can be dispositive in the right circumstances.

My point is that for it to be relevant you need to be the kind of person who can't picture spending three years learning with people who are on average of a different ideology than you. I'm questioning whether such a person should be a lawyer.

Actually, I can see it being relevant if you're a liberal and want to study at a school with a lot of conservatives because you realize doing so will probably help your education. Or vice versa.

lawhopeful10

Silver

Post by lawhopeful10 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:44 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:
carlkenneth wrote:Its one of the schools that I'm considering, but I fear that it'll be the worse three years of my life.
You're considering paying tens, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars for a coin-flip* chance of actually practicing law when you graduate? (*it's actually <40% chance, since the school funded jobs there are pretty bad.)

This is like asking, "Should I cut off my hand? I worry that I'll have a harder time tying my shoes."
This should be priority 1-10 and maybe like consideration #33 is the political atmosphere of the school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

USAO-vet

New

Post by USAO-vet » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:01 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:

What a little turd burgling know-it-all you are. If I decide to attend George Mason my COA will be ~10k a year because I'm instate and will be receiving a scholarship amounting to half tuition under the Yellow Ribbon Program because I'm a veteran. Additionally, my work experience has allowed me to rub shoulders with some our nations most preeminent lawyers, several of whom have already offered their assistance when I begin looking for employment after graduation. While you're selling your soul and getting shit on in Big Law (if you're fucking lucky) I'll be debt free, likely enjoying a fulfilling career as a federal prosecutor, actually trying cases instead of doing doc review and sucking on some partners balls. Cheers.

USAO-vet

New

Post by USAO-vet » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:03 pm

ph14 wrote:I can't speak to GMU, but i'd imagine that it wouldn't really affect anything out of classroom discussion, mainly. Perhaps GMU ACS chapter will be smaller than other schools, but probably not else beyond that.
Good points. Thanks.

USAO-vet

New

Post by USAO-vet » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:09 pm

Any relevant consideration can be dispositive in the right circumstances.

My point is that for it to be relevant you need to be the kind of person who can't picture spending three years learning with people who are on average of a different ideology than you. I'm questioning whether such a person should be a lawyer.

Actually, I can see it being relevant if you're a liberal and want to study at a school with a lot of conservatives because you realize doing so will probably help your education. Or vice versa.
I honestly enjoy engaging persons with different political philosophies. GMU's econ program is extremely libertarian though and I've heard that that spills over into the law school some. I just don't want to be subjected to constant voodoo economic thought. I went to a lecture a while back that included one of the school foremost econ professors and he came across a quack that just repeated anecdotal bullshit -- not exactly my cup of tea.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:12 pm

USAO-vet wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:

What a little turd burgling know-it-all you are. If I decide to attend George Mason my COA will be ~10k a year because I'm instate and will be receiving a scholarship amounting to half tuition under the Yellow Ribbon Program because I'm a veteran. Additionally, my work experience has allowed me to rub shoulders with some our nations most preeminent lawyers, several of whom have already offered their assistance when I begin looking for employment after graduation. While you're selling your soul and getting shit on in Big Law (if you're fucking lucky) I'll be debt free, likely enjoying a fulfilling career as a federal prosecutor, actually trying cases instead of doing doc review and sucking on some partners balls. Cheers.
You sound cool.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

HYSenberg

Bronze

Post by HYSenberg » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:13 pm

USAO-vet wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:

You are so cool.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:14 pm

USAO-vet wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:

Hypersensitive douchebag much? Slow your roll, dude.

HYSenberg

Bronze

Post by HYSenberg » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:18 pm

midwest17 wrote:You sound cool.
Damnit, you beat me to a sardonic reply.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:18 pm

USAO-vet wrote:likely enjoying a fulfilling career as a federal prosecutor.
You are a very special snowflake, huh?

Attending GMU = PROBABLY not gonna get a non-school funded long term full time legal job.
50.9% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs. 1.4% of these jobs were school-funded jobs.
1.8% work for the feds
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=gmu

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:19 pm

USAO-vet wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:

Jesus dude, relax. They are explaining a simple reality to you: GMU will do little to get you a job after graduation, particularly in highly desirable outcomes. You may be different and have an in at a desirable outcome for one reason or another, but the fact remains: for your average cost/benefit outcome, GMU isn't worth it. If your calculus is different, good for you and I hope you make a decision free from what we have to tell you on this board.

For the record, don't consider GI Bill or YRP to be a safety net from making a bad decision. A free law school education can still be a mistake. Think long and hard about your options and figure out your own future, cause no one on here will ever be able to do that.

USAO-vet

New

Post by USAO-vet » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:23 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
USAO-vet wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:

Hypersensitive douchebag much? Slow your roll, dude.
Haha! Slow my roll?!?!?! I fucking hate that stupid saying. When I was in college I remember going out with this little skank who said that to me when I made a move on her, trying to pretend like she didn't plan on choking on my ween a few minutes later. Oh, memories.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:25 pm

USAO-vet wrote:Haha! Slow my roll?!?!?! I fucking hate that stupid saying. When I was in college I remember going out with this little skank who said that to me when I made a move on her, trying to pretend like she didn't plan on choking on my ween a few minutes later. Oh, memories.
I take it back. You have all the makings of a fine prosecutor.

USAO-vet

New

Post by USAO-vet » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:26 pm

matthewsean85 wrote:
USAO-vet wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:

Jesus dude, relax. They are explaining a simple reality to you: GMU will do little to get you a job after graduation, particularly in highly desirable outcomes. You may be different and have an in at a desirable outcome for one reason or another, but the fact remains: for your average cost/benefit outcome, GMU isn't worth it. If your calculus is different, good for you and I hope you make a decision free from what we have to tell you on this board.

For the record, don't consider GI Bill or YRP to be a safety net from making a bad decision. A free law school education can still be a mistake. Think long and hard about your options and figure out your own future, cause no one on here will ever be able to do that.
Thanks for the response. I understand what you're saying and Mason isn't my first choice. It's quite tempting though when I consider I'd be able to get out with no debt and likely end up doing the same thing I would be if I went to Georgetown, the top school I'm considering.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”