Optional Diversity Statement Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
SportsAdvocate

New

Optional Diversity Statement

Post by SportsAdvocate » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:18 pm

Some law school's recommend that you briefly describe the characteristics that will make you a perfect fit for the student body. By brief, I am assuming that it they are expecting no less than 5 paragraphs. Is this sufficient enough? If not then what is?

BriaTharen

Silver

Re: Optional Diversity Statement

Post by BriaTharen » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:24 pm

I wouldn't do more than one page single spaced.

mattymatt

New

Post by mattymatt » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:27 pm

JessicaTiger wrote:I wouldn't do more than one page single spaced.
I'm inclined to agree. The shorter the better, with some limitations of course. You have to keep in mind that just with your application alone, they're already looking at a PS and any other extra material beside your application form and they're probably pretty sick of hearing what you have to say.

BriaTharen

Silver

Post by BriaTharen » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:33 pm

mattymatt wrote:
JessicaTiger wrote:I wouldn't do more than one page single spaced.
I'm inclined to agree. The shorter the better, with some limitations of course. You have to keep in mind that just with your application alone, they're already looking at a PS and any other extra material beside your application form and they're probably pretty sick of hearing what you have to say.
To add onto that- if you write a DS and you realize that the DS and your PS sound a whole lot alike, don't submit one. It is better to have no optional DS than one that is a near verbatim repeat of your PS

SportsAdvocate

New

Post by SportsAdvocate » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:37 pm

I was planning on writing my PS about my learning disability and my DS about my grandfather being a holocaust survivor and the effects it's had on me. Not bad, eh?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:48 pm

SportsAdvocate wrote:Some law school's recommend that you briefly describe the characteristics that will make you a perfect fit for the student body. By brief, I am assuming that it they are expecting no less than 5 paragraphs. Is this sufficient enough? If not then what is?
If you are paraphrasing the wording in the prompt accurately, this doesn't sound like a diversity statement, but rather a reverse "Why School" essay. Instead of explaining "Why School" you're explaining "Why Me". If so, I would focus on experiences you bring that have given you traits that this particular school seeks and also heavily on the future, i.e. how you plan to contribute at the school.

Also, if the schools actually "recommend" that you write this (if they use that precise word), do not consider it an optional DS.

willy loman

New

Post by willy loman » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:48 am

SportsAdvocate wrote: Also, if the schools actually "recommend" that you write this (if they use that precise word), do not consider it an optional DS.
"Encourage" should be considered a step down from "recommend," yes?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”