Interested in energy law Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
FunkyJD

Silver

Interested in energy law

Post by FunkyJD » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:03 pm

Curious to know, if anyone here practices or is interested in energy law ... legal issues related to the production of oil & gas, nuclear, renewables, etc., and the firms that produce said energy.

If this is my interest, is it best to go to a school that specifically has coursework in those fields (i.e., "energy law" courses or specialties), or should my main goal be to find a school that excels at corporate and/or regulatory law -- or civil litigation -- regardless of any concentration in energy law, or availability specific "energy law" courses.

I assume that a school with both aspects would be great ... but if I had to choose a path ...
Last edited by FunkyJD on Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

tylt13

New

Re: Interested in energy law

Post by tylt13 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:05 pm

I'm interested as well... I have a background in engineering and I have worked in the energy field.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:40 am

Bump. Any practitioners or law students have any thoughts?

ec2xs

Bronze

Post by ec2xs » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:45 am

I imagine University of Houston would be formidable in this field. Otherwise, Oklahoma schools would be ideal.

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:28 am

I think a degree in Chem E or nuclear engineering, or work experience at a power utility would be the best thing for entry to energy law. I have no idea what law schools are good for this, but generally CA is the best state to go for most environmental stuff.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mesomedes

New

Post by mesomedes » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:58 pm

I too work in energy policy (paralegal working on federal oil and gas antitrust) and have heard that University of Texas and University of Houston are the top two places if you're specifically interested in those areas. Due to the concentration of the oil and gas industry in Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisiana, I'm sure any of the schools in these states would provide some energy law courses and opportunities. For renewables, most schools with intensive environmental law programs and curricula will offer courses covering these developing industries. For general regulatory law, Vanderbilt has a nice and well-regarded regulatory law program. See http://law.vanderbilt.edu/academics/aca ... index.aspx.

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:09 pm

mesomedes wrote:I too work in energy policy (paralegal working on federal oil and gas antitrust) and have heard that University of Texas and University of Houston are the top two places if you're specifically interested in those areas. Due to the concentration of the oil and gas industry in Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisiana, I'm sure any of the schools in these states would provide some energy law courses and opportunities. For renewables, most schools with intensive environmental law programs and curricula will offer courses covering these developing industries. For general regulatory law, Vanderbilt has a nice and well-regarded regulatory law program. See http://law.vanderbilt.edu/academics/aca ... index.aspx.
OU has quite a few petroleum-related courses.

Zojirushi

Bronze

Post by Zojirushi » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:16 pm

mesomedes wrote:I too work in energy policy (paralegal working on federal oil and gas antitrust) and have heard that University of Texas and University of Houston are the top two places if you're specifically interested in those areas. Due to the concentration of the oil and gas industry in Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisiana, I'm sure any of the schools in these states would provide some energy law courses and opportunities. For renewables, most schools with intensive environmental law programs and curricula will offer courses covering these developing industries. For general regulatory law, Vanderbilt has a nice and well-regarded regulatory law program. See http://law.vanderbilt.edu/academics/aca ... index.aspx.
+1 to UT.
--LinkRemoved--
Ernest Smith is the energy guru.
Colorado, UCLA, and UH all have pretty good programs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”