Scary decision Forum
- im_blue

- Posts: 3272
- Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am
Re: Scary decision
If you reapply next year, you still won't get HYS with your low GPA, but you have a shot at Columbia, Chicago, or a lower T14 with money. If none of those options are particularly appealing to you, then go with NYU this year.
- Always Credited

- Posts: 2501
- Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:31 pm
Re: Scary decision
D. H2Oman wrote:Reapply
- tristanlxboyd

- Posts: 44
- Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 1:44 am
Re: Scary decision
I am in almost exactly the same position as you, DeweyDell, with a 178 (first take) and 3.84. I have decent softs, and got my apps in just about at the deadline. I am reapplying.
Here's how I think of it: our numbers are very good, why waste them? Just make your application better by crafting stellar essays, add softs, and get a job.
Here's how I think of it: our numbers are very good, why waste them? Just make your application better by crafting stellar essays, add softs, and get a job.
- Dignan

- Posts: 1110
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm
Re: Scary decision
I think you're getting some decent advice ITT, but I'm going to depart a bit from the general consensus.
Applying late probably hurt you a little. However, I think your biggest problem is your 3.63 GPA. An extra year off won't fix that.
It is very rare for a non-URM to get into HYS with a GPA that low, even with a 175-180 LSAT. Unless you're going to spend the next year in a leadership position in UNICEF in Africa or something (i.e., not working at a part-time job while living with your parents), you aren't getting into Yale or Stanford with that GPA, and you almost certainly won't get into Harvard.
In other words, I don't think you're going to be able to do much better than NYU, particularly if your aspiration is NYC big law. It's true that, if you reapply (and apply early), you'll have a better chance at scholly money from places like Michigan and Penn. Would you take Michigan or Penn with $$ over NYU at sticker? If so, it's probably worth waiting a year. But don't delude yourself into thinking that your cycle will be much different next year. Make this choice with realistic expectations.
Applying late probably hurt you a little. However, I think your biggest problem is your 3.63 GPA. An extra year off won't fix that.
It is very rare for a non-URM to get into HYS with a GPA that low, even with a 175-180 LSAT. Unless you're going to spend the next year in a leadership position in UNICEF in Africa or something (i.e., not working at a part-time job while living with your parents), you aren't getting into Yale or Stanford with that GPA, and you almost certainly won't get into Harvard.
In other words, I don't think you're going to be able to do much better than NYU, particularly if your aspiration is NYC big law. It's true that, if you reapply (and apply early), you'll have a better chance at scholly money from places like Michigan and Penn. Would you take Michigan or Penn with $$ over NYU at sticker? If so, it's probably worth waiting a year. But don't delude yourself into thinking that your cycle will be much different next year. Make this choice with realistic expectations.
-
DeweyDell

- Posts: 28
- Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:48 pm
Re: Scary decision
Thanks for all the responses guys. Had I the opportunity at Penn with money this year than in all likelihood I would go for it over NYU at sticker. I received some quality PM advice, which is that my LSAT score is really no better than a 171 for lower T14 because they will both push up their 75%, while I also giving them a pretty average GPA. Unfortunate, but I'm hoping that NYU's drop in USNEWS will encourage them to better their matriculation rate by offering me some financial aid. If that doesn't work out then we will have to see...