Should I wait on Berkeley? Forum
- buddyblack

- Posts: 60
- Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:28 pm
Re: Should I wait on Berkeley?
Enjoy being debt-free and happy at IUB. That's what I would do anyway.
-
ccs224

- Posts: 465
- Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:27 pm
Re: Should I wait on Berkeley?
I'm going to guess this isn't really about a lease, but about where you want to be, and how you want your life to be, for the next three years and onwards. I say go with UIB. If that's where the person you lurv is, closer to where you want to work (and with a very strong alumni network, placement opportunities, etc) and, oh yeah, free, then it's a no brainer. If a Berkeley acceptance would get you to go there, then wait it out and see, but at this point you could just sit down and determine if that would be the case anyway, and decide accordingly.
- Reedie

- Posts: 414
- Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:46 pm
Re: Should I wait on Berkeley?
If you just want to work in Chicago and aren't set on a certain job, then I see no reason to go to Berkeley. Berkeley will give you better options for prestigious law positions at Chicago, but it will probably actually be harder to get spots at smaller firms in Illinois from Cal.
- Cleareyes

- Posts: 406
- Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:59 pm
Re: Should I wait on Berkeley?
If you completely love IUB and Berkeley is "definitely not your dream school" I would take the apartment.
And what nobody seems to be mentioning is that with a 165 LSAT you are also a long shot at Berkeley. There's no reason to hold up your life for a small chance at getting into a school you don't even like, just because that school offers better job opportunities. Heck if your long shot pays off and you do get admitted, you may be able to find someone else to take over your lease or whatever anyway, so it's not like this completely cuts off your options. But frankly, you're probably better off living near your fiancee anyway. The law school you attend is not the most important thing in your life. Hopefully.
And what nobody seems to be mentioning is that with a 165 LSAT you are also a long shot at Berkeley. There's no reason to hold up your life for a small chance at getting into a school you don't even like, just because that school offers better job opportunities. Heck if your long shot pays off and you do get admitted, you may be able to find someone else to take over your lease or whatever anyway, so it's not like this completely cuts off your options. But frankly, you're probably better off living near your fiancee anyway. The law school you attend is not the most important thing in your life. Hopefully.
-
narkizopoint

- Posts: 200
- Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:33 pm
Re: Should I wait on Berkeley?
It is so easy to lose this perspective, thanks for reminding us.Cleareyes wrote:The law school you attend is not the most important thing in your life. Hopefully.
-
Borhas

- Posts: 6244
- Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm
Re: Should I wait on Berkeley?
Impeccable pro-happiness trollingCleareyes wrote:If you completely love IUB and Berkeley is "definitely not your dream school" I would take the apartment.
And what nobody seems to be mentioning is that with a 165 LSAT you are also a long shot at Berkeley. There's no reason to hold up your life for a small chance at getting into a school you don't even like, just because that school offers better job opportunities. Heck if your long shot pays off and you do get admitted, you may be able to find someone else to take over your lease or whatever anyway, so it's not like this completely cuts off your options. But frankly, you're probably better off living near your fiancee anyway. The law school you attend is not the most important thing in your life. Hopefully.
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- rowlf

- Posts: 111
- Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:55 pm
Re: Should I wait on Berkeley?
+1Cleareyes wrote:If you completely love IUB and Berkeley is "definitely not your dream school" I would take the apartment.
And what nobody seems to be mentioning is that with a 165 LSAT you are also a long shot at Berkeley. There's no reason to hold up your life for a small chance at getting into a school you don't even like, just because that school offers better job opportunities. Heck if your long shot pays off and you do get admitted, you may be able to find someone else to take over your lease or whatever anyway, so it's not like this completely cuts off your options. But frankly, you're probably better off living near your fiancee anyway. The law school you attend is not the most important thing in your life. Hopefully.
- Vincent Vega

- Posts: 1182
- Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm
Re: Should I wait on Berkeley?
Indiana made a huge surge since the last time I looked at this thread. It had been Berkeley 2-to-1 last time I looked.
I agree with the majority of you. I have a pretty specific set of criteria for my living situation and finding a place that meets all of them while staying affordable has been pretty rare. On top of that, it's a 10-hour drive from my house to Bloomington, so it's pretty difficult to get out there just to do some apartment hunting. Also, I very strongly doubt that I will be getting into Berkeley. In the off-chance I do get in and actually accept their offer, I can sublet and take a loss if I have to.
Thanks, all.
I agree with the majority of you. I have a pretty specific set of criteria for my living situation and finding a place that meets all of them while staying affordable has been pretty rare. On top of that, it's a 10-hour drive from my house to Bloomington, so it's pretty difficult to get out there just to do some apartment hunting. Also, I very strongly doubt that I will be getting into Berkeley. In the off-chance I do get in and actually accept their offer, I can sublet and take a loss if I have to.
Thanks, all.
- Vincent Vega

- Posts: 1182
- Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm
Re: Should I wait on Berkeley?
I was rejected by Berkeley. I'm happy to be moving on with IU!