How shall I address a community college on my resume? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
williammmc

New

How shall I address a community college on my resume?

Post by williammmc » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:38 pm

I transferred from a community college to the university I attend, should I treat the community college in exactly the same way as I have my university on my resume?

For instance, shall I name class rank, important courses, etc.?

And since I received no degree from the institution, how should I indicate that?

Thank you so much!

transfer4545

New

Re: How shall I address a community college on my resume?

Post by transfer4545 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:43 pm

Can't really help you on your core question but never list 'important courses' on your resume. Takes up too much space and nobody really cares about them in the admissions office.

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:47 pm

williammmc wrote:I transferred from a community college to the university I attend, should I treat the community college in exactly the same way as I have my university on my resume?

For instance, shall I name class rank, important courses, etc.?

And since I received no degree from the institution, how should I indicate that?

Thank you so much!

It would help to see what your resume is for. Are we talking about a resume for a law school application? If it were a certain kind of graduate program, I could see the listing of courses as relevant. But not for law applications.

Also, consider looking into the meaning of 'shall'. If you are going to use it, use it properly. You are indeed not asking us to predict what you will do, but rather, asking for advice.

williammmc

New

Post by williammmc » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:48 pm

I suppose you are right... I thought that initially, but I was trying to go against my instinct and pay pretty close attention to the resume article (http://www.top-law-schools.com/sample-resume.pdf) posted on TLS. I believe I give a bit too much credit to TLS!

I appreciate your help with that!

merichard87

Silver

Post by merichard87 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:49 pm

IMO, no need to treat the community college in the same way you do your current institution. You put it on your resume with the dates and your major and thats essentially all. For example:

Prestige University, August 2008 - present
Prestige, NY
Major: XXXXX
Honors: XXXXX

Community College August 2006 - present
Community College Land

THE END

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

williammmc

New

Post by williammmc » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:50 pm

I will be using the resume for law school applications.

Its funny that you say my use of shall is wrong, I was just cited for using amount incorrectly on a different thread...

I need to get my shall together if I'm going to post on these forums... (I'm a science major, englash is hurd)

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:57 pm

williammmc wrote:I will be using the resume for law school applications.

Its funny that you say my use of shall is wrong, I was just cited for using amount incorrectly on a different thread...

I need to get my shall together if I'm going to post on these forums... (I'm a science major, englash is hurd)

'Shall' just means 'will', but is reserved for the 1st person, singular and plural. So "I shall. . . " and "We shall . . ." is a bit stuffy on an internet forum, but it is strictly speaking proper English. In some contexts, 'shall' can be used for the 2nd or 3rd person, but only for emphasis (sort of a command). Similarly, 'will' can be used for the 1st person, but only to describe resoluteness. But as I suggested, 'will' is fine for all uses in informal communication. Put 'will' into your original post, and see the error.

But you are asking about something else entirely. You are asking about what you should do.

yinz

Bronze

Post by yinz » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:00 pm

Not use the word "shall" unless you are British?

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:02 pm

yinz wrote:Not use the word "shall" unless you are British?

Ha! I do a lot of formal writing, so I have to. Even though I write and speak American :P

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

williammmc

New

Post by williammmc » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:02 pm

Okay, I appreciate the correction sumus romani.

Pertaining to the original point, I forgot to mention that I studied abroad for a semester while attending the community college, should this be mentioned? Or should I stick with the original plan to only devote one line to the community college?

As it is, I have:

09/05 – 08/08 General Education Requirements, Riverside City College Riverside, CA
Degree: N/A (Completed requirements necessary to transfer to above institution)

^^^ Should I add an activities line?

i.e.
Activities: Study abroad florence italy, blahblahblah

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:08 pm

williammmc wrote:Okay, I appreciate the correction sumus romani.

Pertaining to the original point, I forgot to mention that I studied abroad for a semester while attending the community college, should this be mentioned? Or should I stick with the original plan to only devote one line to the community college?

As it is, I have:

09/05 – 08/08 General Education Requirements, Riverside City College Riverside, CA
Degree: N/A (Completed requirements necessary to transfer to above institution)

^^^ Should I add an activities line?

i.e.
Activities: Study abroad florence italy, blahblahblah

Normally, activities and education are grouped separately. If your study abroad was for credit, then it wasn't an activity, but rather education. Presumably, you did activites while abroad, but those go under activities. One thing I would encourage is neatness and simplicity. The admissions people won't care that you don't have a 2 year degree, and they will infer that you transfered to a 4 year school to get a degree. Just try not to clutter your resume too much with a sophisticated organization.

yinz

Bronze

Post by yinz » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:18 pm

sumus romani wrote:'Shall' just means 'will', but is reserved for the 1st person, singular and plural. So "I shall. . . " and "We shall . . ." is a bit stuffy on an internet forum, but it is strictly speaking proper English. In some contexts, 'shall' can be used for the 2nd or 3rd person, but only for emphasis (sort of a command). Similarly, 'will' can be used for the 1st person, but only to describe resoluteness. But as I suggested, 'will' is fine for all uses in informal communication. Put 'will' into your original post, and see the error.

But you are asking about something else entirely. You are asking about what you should do.
Sorry to derail, but:

According to Garner, unless you are quoting a source (like the Constitution) or, again, you are British, "shall" should be striken from your writing. It's pompous and unnecessary; why not simply write "will" or "should" which will get to your point quickly and clearly.

Even in formal literature, research, and communication, I agree with Garner: "shall" is superfluous.

I shan't use this word.

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:26 pm

yinz wrote:
sumus romani wrote:'Shall' just means 'will', but is reserved for the 1st person, singular and plural. So "I shall. . . " and "We shall . . ." is a bit stuffy on an internet forum, but it is strictly speaking proper English. In some contexts, 'shall' can be used for the 2nd or 3rd person, but only for emphasis (sort of a command). Similarly, 'will' can be used for the 1st person, but only to describe resoluteness. But as I suggested, 'will' is fine for all uses in informal communication. Put 'will' into your original post, and see the error.

Sorry to derail, but:

According to Garner, unless you are quoting a source (like the Constitution) or, again, you are British, "shall" should be striken from your writing. It's pompous and unnecessary; why not simply write "will" or "should" which will get to your point quickly and clearly.

Even in formal literature, research, and communication, I agree with Garner: "shall" is superfluous.

I shan't use this word.
I love the it when people make reference to style-guidebooks when those guidebooks are contrary to ordinary practice in journals I read, referee for, and (rarely) publish in each and every day. It's like, does the author of the guidebook even look at these journals in this pretty big field of research?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

williammmc

New

Post by williammmc » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:29 pm

sumus romani wrote: Normally, activities and education are grouped separately. If your study abroad was for credit, then it wasn't an activity, but rather education. Presumably, you did activites while abroad, but those go under activities. One thing I would encourage is neatness and simplicity. The admissions people won't care that you don't have a 2 year degree, and they will infer that you transfered to a 4 year school to get a degree. Just try not to clutter your resume too much with a sophisticated organization.
That being said, how shall I go about listing the abroad program? If I should list it at all, should I list it after work experience?

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:36 pm

williammmc wrote:
sumus romani wrote: Normally, activities and education are grouped separately. If your study abroad was for credit, then it wasn't an activity, but rather education. Presumably, you did activites while abroad, but those go under activities. One thing I would encourage is neatness and simplicity. The admissions people won't care that you don't have a 2 year degree, and they will infer that you transfered to a 4 year school to get a degree. Just try not to clutter your resume too much with a sophisticated organization.
That being said, how shall I go about listing the abroad program? If I should list it at all, should I list it after work experience?

With the understanding that you are listing your abroad program in the eduation section, I think that it depends on what you wish to emphasize in your resume. While some maintain that you should always lead with eduation for a law school application, I think that if your work experience is really strong, you can lead with that. Put the most important stuff early, I say. Resumes are not for reading; rather they are for skimming. Make sure that your strongest points are early and catch the eye.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”