LR Dec 2001 LSAT, Section 1 #9 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
e_mac7

New

LR Dec 2001 LSAT, Section 1 #9

Post by e_mac7 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:40 pm

I am having a hard time understanding why the answer choice is B and not D. I am using the PS LRB and I find that the explanation is not really clearing it up for me.

The question reads:
Raisins are made by drying grapes in the sun. Although some of the sugar in the grapes is caramelized in the process, nothing is added. Moreover, the only thing removed from the grapes is the water that evaporates during the drying, and water contains no calories or nutrients. The fact that raisins contain more iron per calorie than grapes do is thus puzzling.

Which one of the following, if true, most helps to explain why raisins contain more iron per calorie than do grapes?
Answer choices:
A)since grapes are bigger than raisins, it takes several bunches of grapes to provide the same amount of iron as a handful of raisins does
B)Caramelized sugar cannot be digested, so its calories do not count toward the calorie content of raisins
C) The body can absorb iron and other nutrients more quickly from grapes than from raisins because of the relatively high water content of grapes
D)Raisins, but not grapes, are available year-round, so many people get a greater share of their yearly iron intake from raisins than from grapes
E) Raisins are often eaten in combination with other iron-containing foods, while grapes are usually eaten by themselves

Nova

Platinum

Re: LR Dec 2001 LSAT, Section 1 #9

Post by Nova » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:44 pm

Edit the question out. It violates copyright laws. Most posters here have their own copies, and can look it up.

Here is one explanation:

http://www.manhattanlsat.com/forums/q9- ... 15aa344d4f

BallHog

New

Re: LR Dec 2001 LSAT, Section 1 #9

Post by BallHog » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:06 pm

The question scope is "iron per calorie." D is wrong because it mentions nothing about the scope (out of scope). The question says that some of the sugar is caramelized in the process of turning a grape into a raisin. B discusses the calorie content of a raisin, stating that caramelized sugar cannot be digested (lowering the calorie count). This helps answer the question "why do raisins have more iron per calorie than grapes?" (same amount of iron, but less calories)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”